For Pity's Sake Don't Drive!!

sorbs

Phil,

Police called because we were stuck in the outside lane at peak time in what is the busiest road in Cambridgeshire with vehicles all around us.  I also thought they might question the other drivers lack of attention.  We were both breatherlised on the side of the road but were both negative.  I did also wonder if she might have been using her mobile phone but  the Police decided that once the traffic was sorted they were no longer interested.

The good news is that I've already had a call from her insurers admitting liability and requesting they deal with the repairs and the provision of a replacement courtesy vehicle. Put them onto my insurers and I'm hoping for a speedy result although it looks allmost certain that the Alfa will be deemed a total loss.

Pete Richards

As this thread started.  Picture this the dreaded A14 into Cambridge at 8.45 am. As ususal two lanes of stop-start trafffic.  I'm sitting staionary in the outside lane when the traffic starts to move.  I select first and glance into the rear view mirror to see a Vauxhall Zafira fast approaching me.  Sh*t. it's not going to stop goes through my head.  It doesn't. An almighty bang as it hits me but fortunately the 09 registered Merc in front of me has moved off as I'm knocked along the carriageway as the rear of my seat collapses slowly, as designed to reduce the possibility of whiplash injuries. I recover  and get out of the car and walk down to meet the lady driver of the Vauxhall.  Fortunately I refrain from doubting her parentage and ask what she is on. The reply was as follows:- I'm sorry. I drive this road every day and it's always stop-start but I hadn't realised the traffic had stopped again!!!!.  I called the Police and whilst waiting for them I checked the distance my car had been pushed - 36m.  It looks like that's the end of my 4 year old Alfa Sportwagon 2.4 diesel, according to the bodyshop it's almost certain to be written off.

A slightly sore but intact Pete Richards

It's always worrying when people like the lady in question are so matter of fact about the fairly major sounding accident they've just caused.

It tends to suggest it's not the first time it's 'happened'.

Phil,

Police called because we were stuck in the outside lane at peak time in what is the busiest road in Cambridgeshire with vehicles all around us.  I also thought they might question the other drivers lack of attention.  We were both breatherlised on the side of the road but were both negative.  I did also wonder if she might have been using her mobile phone but  the Police decided that once the traffic was sorted they were no longer interested.

The good news is that I've already had a call from her insurers admitting liability and requesting they deal with the repairs and the provision of a replacement courtesy vehicle. Put them onto my insurers and I'm hoping for a speedy result although it looks allmost certain that the Alfa will be deemed a total loss.

Pete Richards

OK, just wondered really. Makes sense when I think about it! ;D

Good news about the Insurance, not often in my experience they move that fast!! Still getting umming and ahhing from ours, with regards to my sisters accident last year!! Just keep em moving!!

It looks like that's the end of my 4 year old Alfa Sportwagon 2.4 diesel, according to the bodyshop it's almost certain to be written off.

Nasty, but with every cloud..................I have a nice condition veloce sportwagon with a ventilated crankcase if required, good body, leather interior, big wheels etc   ;)

Andy