quick steering rack ?

Hi to all of you.

I passed the CT for my car: it is similar to the MOT in England. The car need a present for Christmas  ;D

It seems my steering rack is very worn to one end :-/. I checked the price of the different parts to rebuild it: it is not cheap and as expensive as a new one.

Here are my questions:

- I could have a nice price on a quick steering rack. Is it an interesting modification  ::)? is it really a benefit or a waiste of money ? and an important fact for me: is it a period (70's) accessory  :D? Made for Elan ?

I checked the old catalogs I have and I only found quick racks for DOLOMITE, nothing for Spitfire, GT6

- Whart are the differences between GT6 and Spit rack ?

Does anyone use a quick rack on his spit ?

Many thanks for you comments and feedbacks  ;)

quick racks are generally regarded as not needed in the spit unless its track only, make the car very twitchy. I think the gt6 rack is a little quicker than the spit, you could switch that out for a slight improvement although mine has a brand new std rack and there is absoloutly no need for anything quicker.

Waste of money in my opinion.

Buy a good quality steering joint / UJ and a new standard. This gives very sharp steering. I think a quick-rack would just be horrible and nervous to drive. I never have to cross my arms driving bar maybe around a hairpin.

Any rack will need to be a Triumph one, not a lotus one, the geometry is vital.

Think the GT6 and Spit have different ratios, the Spitfire is "quicker" and sharper of the two.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/steering-universal-joint-forged-ujf-923-p.asp

I use one of these and a stock rack, you may need to "adjust" the suspension tower slightly with a blunt object or a dremel/grinding stone as the larger UJ may rub it or the bolt/nut may catch.

These joints really tighten the lot up.

Rarebits4classics.co.uk also sells a UJ joint. He maybe cheaper on postage, his are pressed steel not forged, slightly more compact as a result., a tad cheaper but maybe not quite as tough.

So if you have the correct Spitfire rack fitted - it is already the quickest.  GT6, Vitesse and saloons have the 6 tooth pinion as standard and are a bit slower.

As Dave says, sorting the a proper UJ and solid rack mounts make the steering feel much more direct.

Nick

Many thanks for your help: super fast news !!  :) :) ;)

I might have a correct spitfire rack: the car is a late 1500 and I am the second owner since new. The car was totally standard since it was bought new.

Before I remove it from the car: how can I be sure it is a 6 or a 7 tooth pinion ?

Dave and Nick: Thanks a lot for warning about the UJ. I didn't know a new one would be better.

I know there are very low quality alloy mounting brackets. GT said some are dangerous. Where can I find a safe one ?

I know there are very low quality alloy mounting brackets. GT said some are dangerous. Where can I find a safe one ?

Don't get them from moss, they are cast and will split!

I got them from Jigsaw.

These are forged, much stronger, 15k miles on them atm.

If I'm correct, standard is 3.75 lock to lock, quick ratio is 3.25.

Cheers,

Frederick

HI Rob, :)

It is kind of you to tell me my english is better: From myn own side, I am not really sure.  ;)

Concerning LEMANS: of course, my friend !!! It will be a real pleasure to see you again and the gorgeous GT6. I will be happy to meet some people of the forum too !!

Thanks for JIGSAW Frederick  ;)

and:

Don't get them from moss, they are cast and will split!

I got them from Jigsaw.

These are forged, much stronger, 15k miles on them atm.

Are you saying there are forged alloy rack mounts?

The ones I bought years ago are machined from solid.

- or do you mean the steering joint?