gearstick modifications?

Matt can I suggest you might want to use some kind of insulator? My works style OD used to get very hot... Combined with the sun and ambient temp during the summer it made sure you didn't keep your hand on the stick!

Finished the middle section machineing tonight took me forever to machine the solid steel bar from 1" to 1/2".

Coming together now, just need to drill and tap this section, then thread the section robbed from the old gearleaver, then i can see where it all sits and bend accordingly, then just thread the top for the new alloy gearknob and im done.

IMG_3511.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

Matt, you seem to produce a new level of accomplishment weekly!  Good onya, mate.

Your effort reminds me of a turned ciggy lighter handle I made in 1971 on my first lathe day.  That thing was in every car I owned up until about 1991 when it got stolen.

I suspect your shift lever will be sinilar...(punk)(punk)

It's a good idea to put a radius where the diameter changes to avoid a stress raiser. Probably not an issue with a gear lever, though you wouldn't want your knob to come off in your hand! (ooh er!) ;D

Right got a lot done today on this project.

Bottom section is chopped modified and threaded.

IMG_3512.JPG

Top section is drilled and tapped, and with the bends in.

IMG_3513.JPG

and fitted together

IMG_3517.JPG

Lot of tidying to do of the current work, need to trial fit it to the car, get the angle right and then drill and tap for the grub screw which will hold it in the right angle.

Then adjust the length and thread for the new gearknob.

right so managed to get a trial fit today in the car.

the gearshift is just so much easier, and not only to me with the knacked elbow, i had the old boy try it and he was amazed by how much the extra leverage improved it.

It needs shortened by about 3" and there is a slight issue with reverse which there always was gonna be with the wiper stalk but im not too fussed about that it engages just taps with the knob on.

anyway comparison images

before

IMG_3518.JPG

after

IMG_3519.JPG

no knurling on that one, i was gonna make it like that but it was too slippy.

having problems with dies at the moment, just snapped two of them, even though im threading the exact same diameter as i threaded before.

and we're finally done, just need a final trial in the car.

everything is shortened the gearknob the top section and the lower section. In total around 3" chopped off it.

should clear the wiper on the reverse now and feels damn good in the hand.

IMG_3524.JPG