Mintex 1144 etc, superceded

In the past, I've recommended Mintex 1155, as a higher temperature brake material, that will not fade if used, say, for pass storming or track days.  Alongside that, 1144 for 'Fast Road' and 1166 for heavy car racing.   I've used 1155 on the Vitesse for racing and found that it just does not fade, and allows me to out brake some faster cars.   But now I learn that a new specification has superseded those.

The new specs are, for the equivalent applications, MRM 1801, 1802 and 1805.   See: Racing Compounds – Mintex

I have just ordered a set of rear pads in 1802, which may not be as good a test as fronts. An interesting feature of the new spec is that they do not require as aggressive a bedding procedure!   Ten slows, 60-20mph, that's all.

I'll report on what happens!

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this info John. I've got 1144 on all 3 of my Triumphs, so a bit apprehensive about change. 

The graphs they show are reassuring, although I don't know what some of the metrics actually mean! Green friction... is that friction from new?

I've stuck snapshots of old-versus-new charts below, for reference:

Mintex compounds.jpg

• Like 1

Disappointing to see apparent reduction of “bite” on the 1801 compared to the 1144. It’s an absolutely key feature on our non-servo’d cars and I’ve not found anything to match the 1144s.

Posted (edited)

Ah, yes, polar charts.   They look spiffingly sciency,  but look at the parameters.  "Bite, Feel, Modulation, Consistency"  all highly subjective. No numbers on them at all.

"Green" friction, no idea.   Google finds some manufacturers whonwant to jump.on the Green bandwagon, but German is required: https://www.greenfriction.com/de

Edited by JohnD

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I’ve not found anything to match the 1144s.

I've had 1144s on the GT6 for many years now and luckily they seem to last well. I do have one spare set, so that should see me out.

I have also fitted them to my Honda S2000 and the difference was remarkable.

Interesting to see that they are now being replaced by the 1801s. No doubt for a road car they will also be more than adequate.

Thank you Mintex.

Ian

17 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Disappointing to see apparent reduction of “bite” on the 1801 compared to the 1144.

Ah well spotted, I was too mesmerised by the weird charts to notice that.

Maybe not scientifically robust, but the fact the manufacturer openly says the new ones have less bite makes me think it could be true and worse than indicated. Odd.

Adding another set of 1144's to my shopping list before they disappear...

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Good luck with that,Pete!

yeah... seems I'm late to the party. Demon Tweeks have the lowest online prices but are out-of-stock for Type 14 caliper pads, as are most other places. Ordered from Merlin Motorsport, will wait to see if they ever arrive

Didn't look at Type 16 pads but I'm not in an urgent need for them