GT6 Front Suspension

I'm considering options for my front suspension (fast lightweight road car) and would appreciate some advice (is there a silver bullet?)

Shock wise: I'm looking for flexibility in adjustment - stiffness and ride height also good quality

Spring wise: There's not too many options, can anyone suggest rate, length and confirm the correct ID please?

There is a good range of springs here: https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/suspension-steering/coilover-springs/faulkners-race-springs

How light? that will make a difference.

But best shocks are Koni, however no adjustable spring pans. So for that it is either Gaz or Spax. (or you can get spacers for the springs if you wish to use Koni's)

I would consider something ab=round 450-500lb springs. I have 480 on my spitfire, firm but not harsh. But really, it is a bit of a "how long is a bit of string"

Go directly to Faulkner’s for the springs. 

Koni make the best dampers in terms of ride quality and longevity but the damping is not adjustable on the car and the spring seats are not adjustable. I’ve got these plus 350lb/10” free length springs on both Vitesse and GT6 and I’m happy with them. However, if you want to up the rate from that you’ll need adjustable seats (or spacers).

Gaz have a reasonable rep for the fully adjustable. Avoid AVO and Spax IMO.

If feeling rich, talk to Protech. Really rich.... LEDA.

I can give figures from the old TriumphTune catalogue.

Std GT6 are 220lb, fitted length 8.10" It also says a fibreglass bonnet means an extra 1/2" approx added to fitted length.

Their 480lb springs give a fitted length of 6.5"

My recent experience of Gaz is OK, but discovered that despite having plenty of adjustment, they go solid after 5 clicks. Be aware!

What do you mean by “fitted”? Those numbers must be fitted and loaded by normal running weight?

Fitted unladen length is about 10” with standard fixed spring seat dampers.

The working angle of the spring means length doesn’t relate to ride height and as the angle increases as the cars gets lower you effectively get a falling rate spring.

5 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

What do you mean by “fitted”? Those numbers must be fitted and loaded by normal running weight?

Fitted unladen length is about 10” with standard fixed spring seat dampers.

The working angle of the spring means length doesn’t relate to ride height and as the angle increases as the cars gets lower you effectively get a falling rate spring.

I am using the data from the old TT catalogue, and find it about right? Just wish they provided the open lengths too.