Spitfire 4 MK1 progress

Imported from CA about 6 months ago, I have got the car an MOT and am awaiting its first Reg Number from the DVLA, rust free, well not quite but its not bad at all bodily.

have welded 2 sections into the nearside floor, and 2 sill repair sections let in, very small ones though. Decided to have the car repainted and am just in the process of preparing for painting.

The bulkhead was very solid but years of brake fluid and wear and tear had taken its toll, so began there one coat on after wearing out about 10 rotary wire brushes, Interestingly the seats where in need 

of reconditioning, due to no sprung seat bases being available, I fitted a pair of MX 5 seats and modded the runners to fit the original seat fixing points, My sprung seat bases were very worn the springs being useless, but the cage that hold the springs was in good order, I was asked by a firm who supply Triumph parts if I would loan them a seat bas, and they have found it seems someone who can remake them.  Original car and bulkhead pics

P1060890.JPG

P1070203.JPG

P1070204.JPG

7 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Pete, would you like to try that again under the  name you have been using?  Or is there a problem with it?

Nick

Hello Nick, I have joined "Sideways" a little while ago, it all started to go awry.

when I wanted to sign in, I was asked for my Password, I tried to remember it and got it wrong and was locked out.

I asked to set a new password, and your mail letting me do this was a long time coming, but the password was reset, and I could join the party again, but the next time I wanted to post I was asked for my e mail and Password, which I did knowing it was correct, but the system said wrong password.

I have tried now many times and failed with fenlon7@gmail.com and Engineer102.............

so tried to join again putting my email address as  fenlon7@google mail.com so I would be starting afresh, and it worked, and awaiting a moderator to check my posts.

I'm rubbish at this stuff sadly

best Pete

Your spot on Brian, my url is in there with a browser doing some stick copy and paint or other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the Spitfire.

Have sent all the chrome work to ACF Howell in Walsall except for the front bumper which was damaged as you can see in the picture, just under the LH outer blade

It has been dented quite badly, they asked for pics of the damage before accepting it for repair and re chroming,  good news,  apparently its an hours job to repair it in their workshop

so just took it down to the Post Office, where they took my £13 pounds, for its a massive 2.75KG.

Just a note here the post office will not insure car parts!

I sold a rear wing which was on the pantera to a bloke in Dorset, I paid £40+ to insure it and yes parcel force damaged the thing, when I tried to claim on the insurance I was then told that

they don't insure car parts. I did ask them to send me my £40+ premium back, but am still waiting, 3 years now.

Pics of chrome job...

P1070199.JPG

P1070197.JPG

P1070198.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2018 at 2:08 PM, Pfen said:

Your spot on Brian, my url is in there with a browser doing some stick copy and paint or other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the Spitfire.

Have sent all the chrome work to ACF Howell in Walsall except for the front bumper which was damaged as you can see in the picture, just under the LH outer blade

It has been dented quite badly, they asked for pics of the damage before accepting it for repair and re chroming,  good news,  apparently its an hours job to repair it in their workshop

so just took it down to the Post Office, where they took my £13 pounds, for its a massive 2.75KG.

Just a note here the post office will not insure car parts!

I sold a rear wing which was on the pantera to a bloke in Dorset, I paid £40+ to insure it and yes parcel force damaged the thing, when I tried to claim on the insurance I was then told that

they don't insure car parts. I did ask them to send me my £40+ premium back, but am still waiting, 3 years now.

Pics of chrome job...

P1070199.JPG

P1070197.JPG

P1070198.JPG

Car now ready for paint.end of Jan, I am also having the dashboard re painted in Powder blue.

Question pls, a very clever engineer made me the correct tool for removing and tightening the Chrome bezels on the switches, choke,  etc etc .

But when I come to refitting the switches how do I tighten the chrome bezels without scratching the painted dash? no washers were fitted from new that I know of??

Pete.

P1070253.JPG

P1070254.JPG

P1070257.JPG

• 1 month later...

A bit more progress, all chrome work now back from Walsall (no more on that one) car at the paint shop for final prep and getting the unseen bits painted. should be done by the end of the week.

the doors screen and boot will be done as and when the painters have time "to fit them in" between other work.

P1070306.JPG

P1070309.JPG

P1070310.JPG

P1070316.JPG

P1070317.JPG

P1070319.JPG