Hello from Surrey UK

Sean F

Hello,

My name is Sean and I have just joined this forum. I am 4 years into restoring a 1974 Triumph TR6 which I bought as a basket case in November 2013. Just getting to the end of panel painting and hopefully starting on the chassis build up and engine strip down and re-build in early 2018. I am also a member of the TR Register and have joined this forum on the recommendation of some very good people from "over there".

Look forward to it.

Kind regards,

Sean

Hi Sean, welcome.

Seen a couple of "basket cases" in our household in the last couple of years.  I'm very fortunate that my older son has got the restoration bug and loves tin-bashing and welding.  He's been getting plenty of practice!  Trouble is, that part of the exercise on the later project (GT6 Mk 3) is nearly done so the ball will be back in my court!

Have you been doing the panel painting yourself?

Nick

6 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Have you been doing the panel painting yourself?

Nick

Hi Nick, and thanks for the welcome. Yes I have been doing the painting myself. Not only the panels., but the garage floor, walls and everything within! Here's a view of the wings after painting. Just the doors and windscreen frame left to do but we ran out of warm weather a few weeks back!

Hi Darren, good to see you also!

Cheers,

Sean

20171031_110544.thumb.jpg.4ac22d341db7eda759c4d228594c2300.jpg

Those have come out very nicely!  Carmine red?  What paint system are you using? 

Interested as I'll be thinking about paint for my GT6 soon and was (for the first time ever) contemplating having it done professionally having had slightly disappointing results using cellulose on the Spitfire.

Nick

It's 2k paint Nick. Took them all back to bare metal then three coats of bondarust (not 2k but brilliant product), followed by 3 coats of 2k high build flatted back and then 3 coats of the 2k top coat. The pic shows the gun finish before cutting and buffing. Because I painted in the garage I did need to cut and buff because its impossible to keep cr*p off the paint. It does buff out very nicely though. To be honest the biggest problem I had was not a quality paint finish, but getting a truly flat finish on wavy metal. Not patient enough!

No, with a well ventilated garage, helped by fans and intake and exit filters, I opted to use cartridge masks. Used ABEK2 P3 filters on my mask and it worked well for me. Not recommending it to anyone else though. One should only use an air fed mask with 2k paint