Ice Sprint 26X Tricycle

CHRIS211083

Ok so what is a "ICE Sprint 26X Tricycle". Well lets start off talking about recumbent bicycles. Here is a link to wiki instead of copying and pasting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle

In short Recumbent cycles have been around since 1930's and are a technical advance on the basic upright pedal bike design. They are more aerodynamic, burn less calories per distance and are quicker on the flat and down hill when compared like for like. Because of said features they were band from competing and the evolution of pedal bikes has been slowed. However they are slower uphill but only in racing where the riders body weight can be dropped through the pedals from the standing up position. This creates more power but can't be sustained for long periods, which means that as long as you aren't racing Lance Armstrong then your will catch them after the hill anyway.

So where do I fit in. Well you guy's know that I like the thought of being better for the environment and whats one of the best ways to be better for the environment??? To cycle to work. To be honest I don't like normal bicycles. They are uncomfortable, unstable (in certain conditions) and make my back play up (as well as the judo). They are also very hazardous in winter. So two years ago I spotted ICE TRIKES!!!!! Here is the website and below that is the promo video's depending on what type of trike you want. Enjoy.

http://www.icetrikes.co/home

Vortex

Sprint

Adventure

So why a Recumbent trike??? Well it's comfortable, quick, efficient, can carry luggage and take a trailer. It's also ideal for me because it takes no upper body strength or core stability to operate. Most days I tire myself doing judo/weights/conditioning and most normal control functions are compromised. So using the trike allows me to train more, use the different muscles I've not hit training judo and weights and be better to the environment. It also acts as a great active recovery tool as it keeps the blood flowing round the body at a higher than normal rate without creating any fatigue(when riden efficently/moderate pace) so every muscle gets more oxygen and can the blood can carry away more toxins that the muscles produce giving a better recover and healing time. Don't get me wrong it still knackers you out but I have noticed an improvement in most aspects of training and recovery. I certainly sleep well at night. Anyway...

So this is a great idea, however they are expensive. They are built by hand in a small factory in Cornwall and are not in demand as much as the upright pedal bikes mainly because the race governing body banded recumbent cycles.

So the big fear is the "will I buy it and it just sit in the shed after a few outings"???

So to prove to myself I would and could manage cycling everyday the 6 miles each way two times a day(24miles) I went and bought what I didn't want, an upright hybrid bicycle. These can be bought cheap and will let me know if the trike idea will work. So I looked around and Halfords came through with what I wanted. £200 it cost with another £100 on lights/rack/luggage helmet etc. So £300 all in. It's alot for a so called "cheap" push bike but the way I looked at it was that it was only £200 as all the bits can be transferred to the trike. So two questions are apparent. How many miles before the bike pays for itself in the cost of petrol and can it be done.

£200= just under 800miles. Did I manage 800? NO!!!! The cheap Halfords bike was truly cheap. At the 150mile mark the rear wheel bearing went and fair play to Halfords they replaced it with another wheel under warranty. They at the 200mile mark the rear gear change mechanism or derailleur broke and fell off. So Halfords then offered to replace this part and I said No give me my cash back thanks. So in the end I got all my £200 back and got 200miles free. This also answered the second question, would I stick at cycleing? Yes but not with an upright with a pole up my arse!!! They are so uncomfortable, maybe it's just the lack of fat on my arse? Many be I'm just to big and heavy at 6'5 and 125kg?? I don't know but I now knew I was ready for the Trike.

I know they have some advantages, but maneuverability/usability on roads/in traffic doesn't look like one of them. Also safety aspect in the same situation as you are even less visible (and more unexpected!) than a normal pushbike.

There are a couple of guys around here that use them and they have flags on them (like Australian mine vehicles) to try to make them more visible to motorists.

Nick

So I next job was to decide which trike and how much??? Well lucky for me there is a wee shop in Edinburgh called Laidback bikes. Here is a link:

http://www.laid-back-bikes.co.uk/

They do every type of weird and wonderful bike you can think of from load carrying bikes to tandanm bikes for you and the wife or you and your child. Have a look through the flicker pic's to see some crazy stuff. Anyway, David runs laidback bikes and he does test rides. He takes you out about 20miles round Edinburgh out to the coast and back again. This gives you a real feel for the bike your testing and you can tell if it's for you or not and only cost £25 for the whole day if needed.

So which trike do I want. I originally wanted the Vortex as this is the quickest, lightest, and can also carry luggage. However the weight limit it 104kg. Buggar.

The Adventure model was higher up and less reclined so more for off road and bimbling in the country side so this leaves the Sprint.

So which model of sprint:

Sprint 26

This is a fixed frame model(no suspension) with a 26" rear wheel which gives better speed with less comfort. It also has drum brakes and a handbrake. This is kind of the base model and this was my first test ride at Laid back bikes.

Sprint RS

Same as above but has Rear Suspension and 20" wheels all round. Not as fast as the 26 but has closer gear ratios so makes a nice easy ride but slower.

Sprint FS

same as the RS but has Full suspension. This was the one I was looking at as I though it would suit me best and be most comfortable. Oh how my ideas would change.

So I spoke with David at Laid back bikes and he had a Sprint 26 demo in. So I booked a day and took it for a test ride. Wow it was so tight and nimble. So comfy. So quick!!!! and this model had been upgraded to disc brakes. JESUS this thing stops quick. The guy's at ICE built in a anti brake steer into the geometry so if you only use one side then it doesn't pull to one side!!! But wow, after a 3 hour ride with stops for cups of tea I was sold. This is so much better than upright cycling. The trikes are like go carts and so much fun. You can also go up and down curbs and do everything the road bikes can do. The only down side is the width, you can get thought all door ways but some random cycle path gates are too tight. However the sprint 26 only weights 17.5kg so just pick it up and over and away you go. After this test ride I was definitely getting one but I still didn't know which one. I wanted to test ride the others.

A week later David sold that Sprint 26 I test road and he then ordered a Sprint RS to replace it from ICE as a demo. So two weeks later I took that one for a spin. I was so excited when I travelled to the shop. However after another 3 hrs riding the same route plus another 5 miles(as David knew I was fit enough to go further) I was certain in my mind which trike I wanted and it wasn't the Sprint FS or the RS as first thought. It was the Sprint 26, it was the one for me. The RS was a bit soft and the gearing didn't suit my tear arsing around the same because of the smaller back wheel. It was a lovely ride and was miles better than an upright but being the petrol head I am I loved the speed and better handling of the fixed frame. Also on the Sprint RS I tested, it had drum brakes instead of the disc brakes I had tried before. They were as good as the V-brakes on the upright I tested but not a patch on the disc brakes. So I went away and thought about what I wanted and this led me to order the SPRINT 26X. The X stands for extreme I think. The Sprint 26X a few years ago was the vortex. However all Sprints come with a fold up feature which ICE knew cost weight. So they change the Vortex into the Sprint 26X and created the New Vortex without the frame hinge. The weight of the new vortex in top spec is just 13kg. However as I said earlier i'm too heavy for it. The weight of the Sprint 26X is 17kg. Here is the hinge feature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDyD2-xcoYM

This allows it to go in the back of a car or even in your kitchen(as mine now is) tooked up in the corner.

So I ordered my Sprint 26X, That was two weeks ago. It's now done 260miles and is my everyday transport. I have a trailer for collecting parcels and large items like gardening compost and furniture from Ikea(don't ask). It really has changed my way of thinking. These trikes are so good and so versatile. I have just ordered a a trike bag. This allows me to fold my trike up and take it on the train as luggage as trains are not trike friendly. However bagging it makes it perfectly fine!!! Bloody Jobs worth's and technicality's. Anyway I now travel the train long distance and then trike when I get there. As you can see from the video the trike is so quick to put together. I've also bought puncture proof tires so no punctures should ever happen(even though I have not had one on either cycle yet) from here on. My longest cycle so far was last Sunday. It was a 80mile round trip to a wings and wheels show at east fortune. I road the trike with full luggage all the way with no problems. I even over took a local race team out for a ride!!! even fully laden!!!! They must think I had an electric assist!!! However I wasn't the fastest on the day, There was a Quest Carbon Velomobile!!! this is a purpose built light weight fully enclosed/faired streamlined trike. It had a girl driving it and could I catch her could I buggar!!! I was holding 22mph average flat out and she just left me on the flat and down hill. I hit 37mph top speed she touched 56mph!!!!! I didn't stand a chance however my fitness showed through and after 20 mile of racing/chasing she was exhausted!!! Ha Ha. and she needed a break. Though she was very impressed at my speed considering I've only been cycling for a month and a half. Anyway enough rambling here is me and my Ice Trike Sprint 26X.

20130926_184340_zpsd51d9f52.jpg

20130926_184347_zpsed3e1405.jpg

20130926_184414_zps590654f2.jpg

20130926_184435_zpsa3b7bfe8.jpg

20130926_184506_zps1a2f3eb3.jpg

20130926_184638_zps64fa8e7e.jpg

20130926_184821_zps51b2a045.jpg

To top things off, even the wife bought a bicycle so she could join me on my weekend trips round the countryside as she could see how much fun I was having. She didn't want to spend much so £350 bagged her a mountain bike with decent components. We are going out for a cycle today as the weather is great but she wont use it unless it's with me. I think thats probably the best way as she wouldn't be able to fix anything if it went wrong. I suppose that sums up my point here. I'm not saying get rid of your cars etc. I'm just letting you know how to save more money so you can spend more on your cars while being good to the environment, the wife and your self.

And Nick visibility is fine, people see it and wonder what the hell it is. Obviously you need to watch what you do and where you go and make sure you are seen. Being a motorcyclist I'm always very weary of the "everyday Cagers" and know their flaws quite well. They are actually quite predictable. The trick is to expect the worst, that way you are some times pleasantly surprised when they prove you wrong and do notice you. :D Yet you get to be safe irregardless of how they are.

I've made some improvements over my two weeks of ownership. First was fitting indicators so when riding at night people see you and know where I'm going. I've fitted water proof GIVI motorcycle panniers which are so good. I've also fitted twin wing mirrors, I think seeing everything behind you and waving motorist on gives them the confidence that they know you know they are there and have been given the ok to overtake. End of the day it just nice to communicate with other road users and that way every one doesn't fall out. I have also fitted a water proof Mobile phone mount to the trike. This has my music and also has a Cycle streets app that can plot me the fastest/shortest most mixed/quietest route like a tom tom when used with your phone gps. It basicly tells you where to go and knows all the little cycle cut through that it would take years to learn. This app has really shown me some beautiful places that are in the middle of town but you would never know existed.

Only down side to all this....

I now have less time/energy to work on the Spitfire and less need to get him on the road. Final bonus for the trike is you can't fall over on the snow and ice so it is a genuine all year round solution where the uprights bicycles fail. This unfortunately means Spiddy will only get done when I have the time and motivation and is now just a hobby. I suppose the spitfire will be finished even better than before but it will take longer.

However I would recommend if you every get a chance or have ever fancied cycling don't bother. GET a recumbent TRIKE!!!!!

Chris.

I've often considered getting a trike, but did have the concern about not being seen quite so well. I've got a fairly decent hardtail mountain bike which I've hardly used in the 10+ years of ownership! I would ride to work but it's just a bit too far at 15 miles each way - would add about 1.5 hours to my commute.

If you fancied another project how about building a lightweight aerodynamic body for your trike, with integral lights and stuff? This would increase your top speed and keep out the elements while also make the trike even more visible to other road users :)

Hi AJ,

The faired trikes are called Velomobiles. You can buy one of these to fit over the Ice trike and I was looking at this but with the company owner being so hard to get hold of I was put off. However having now covered 345 miles on the trike I'm glad I didn't go down that route as you can't take it on the train to cover long distance and I like the out door open feeling. I was riding with a "Quest Carbon" model of velomobile and it's top speed was 51mph. With cruising speed of 25-30. So lets just say she left me behind. However I still think I had more fun and I was alot cooler then she was and it was a hot day. Love this thing to bits.

Chris.

Well I had a new experience yesterday. My Wife bought me a Trike Bag for my birthday, this allows me to fold up the trike, pop it in the bag and get the train to longer distances yet still have the mobility once I arrive. Here is the bag.

20131009_095051_zps141733d5.jpg

20131009_095044_zps6896dee7.jpg

20131009_094158_zps42577257.jpg

20131009_094015_zps27e1bf00.jpg

20131009_093937_zps6fdc4af9.jpg

20131009_093144_zpsb37b2edc.jpg

20131009_093155_zpsee959e98.jpg

Great bit of top quality kit.

Chris.

Edited by CHRIS211083

• 4 months later...

Yes mate I still use it alot, I was actually out yesterday. Not been too well recently but really love using the trike. I'm now using it to commute to Birmingham. Before everyone shouts in disbelief I commute to the train then fold it up. I then un fold at Birmingham and continue to destination. It saves me in taxi's etc and using the train trike combo is much cheaper than a car. Unfortunately working away means very little time to work on the spitfire. Yesterday I managed a new top speed 42.9mph I'm on 1000 miles now. It would have been more but I've been out of the country training alot. This year is the commonwealth games and I hope to be competing at judo, best thing is its a home games as its just in Glasgow. I might even Trike it to the Games........ We shall see.

As for the south pole attempt, I think she should have got alot more praise and PR for it. She was the first to do it yet most of the world pretended it didn't happen because she was on a trike.

I've been working with Ice on a few PR things building up to the Commonweath games but here is my funny piece for their site.

http://www.icetrikes.co/community/ice-blog/fit-to-fight

Ignore the ugly bloke sitting down. Ha Ha.

Always felt a little too vulnerable in traffic on a bike but I think I'd rather that than a trike. Bikes are more agile, it's easier to get out of the way of something. You can jump kerbs, holes, railway lines, you can even jump off a bike in desperate circumstances.

Having said that, if I wanted to ride across the Nullabor I rather do it on a trike.