De-rusting my spitfire!

My welders just been to give a more final price, he said he'd do all the welding for around £2-300, the variance is to allow for a few more bits which i think we'll find when we get it up on ramps but it seems a very fair price to me!

I'm just about to order two sidelight repair pannels and a new fibreglass front valance and its nearly windscreen time on ebay, if i win it i have to go get it tho which might be fun in the mx5!!

I never bid until 20 seconds from the end of auctions, seems to work well!  I'm collecting monday so will let everyone, i really hope its at least fixable, my welder just laughed when i asked if he could fix my current one!!!

It's got some rust as expected but up the sides is fine, a couple of small holes one side but nothig major, along the bottom there are some good sized holes where it's rusted, I think I did ok for the price I paid, will get photos a bit later on, just did 4 hours driving to get the screen n need to stretch my legs!

bit hard to make out which bit of the screen this is but its the bottom which mounts onto the top of the dash

3984671842_a0f492df37.jpg

This is the worst bit of the screen frame, i hope its fixable as the rest is supprisingly good!

• 2 weeks later...

Still looks a tricky repair job to me. If you only need to clean it up and replace the metal at the bottom its ok. If it becomes a 3 dimensional replace metal job its more complicated.

Is the leg strong? Its probably the most important thing to make sure of and basically you keep a relativeness to the shape of the bottom of the frame so that it sits nicely.

I've given up on the ebay one, dont think its as good as the one on the car at the moment as the existing one has strong legs with the thread in really good condition whereas the thread on the ebay one is very rusted. Also as you say the ebay one would be a 3d repair job whereas the existing one only seems to be a 2d repair job!

I've just managed to remove the windscreen from my car, its been loose for a long time but hasnt come off until me and a friend gave it some gentle perswasion tonight, is a bit rusty one side around the hole which the fixing tubes go through but no where near as bad as the ebay one, i think i'll put that back on ebay in a month or so when its not visable on my feedback, i'll describe it fairly as probably only good for the windscreen but someone brave might try and fix it!

• 2 months later...

I've finally got some motivation to borrow a car trailer and take my car for some welding, have lost interest for a few months but seeing my uncles tr3 in the same condition as my spitfire (its been in the same condition for over 20 years) has given me motivation not to let my car rot in the garage too much longer!!

I still need a new windscreen frame though  :-/

....watch this space!

• 1 month later...

I hope my hunt for a decent windscreen frame is over; I found one on eBay in Australia which is on the way to me soon, will report back with progress soon as welding should start in the next week,

It's eBay item number 250578827401, I can't seem to post a working link from my phone!

Oli

• 4 weeks later...

Advice please, the seller of: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250578827401&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT which i have won now says postage will cost $350 aud making a total of £270 which is a lot for a windscreen frame! Have i got any other options? Who would you suggest for shipping quotes; i'm trying to get a cheaper quote than his one!

Advice is greatly appriciated!

Oli

Thanks!

Interparcel come out with a similar cost for postage so i guess its about the going rate, its just annoying that the seller didnt work it out properly when he first quoted; he first said 200 dollers then it changed to 350!! The seller said he could cut it in half and it would reduce the postage to 180 but i cant help but feel like its a bad idea!  :-/

I've sent the seller on ebay a message, thanks Nick.

Me and the australian ebay seller have gone our seperate ways and i've bought the one you linked to, thanks Nick, will let everyone know if its as good as it looks late next week when it arrives. I emailed the seller who was happy to end the auction for not much more than the start price + postage which i was pleased with!

Weldings going to commence soon, something i've been saying for weeks but its actually on a 4 post lift now looking like something could happen, am going to fit 2 new floor pans and a left hand sill, it all looks much worse from below when its on the ramp. The welder just wants to cut around the edge of the old floors pans, cut a matching bit out of the new floor pans and weld that in as it will be simpler, is this too much of a bodge? it seems to make sense when he shows me what he wants to do! Its only the front section of the floor pans, the footwells, has anyone found repair panels for just this bit? The going rate seems to be £120 a side which seems a bit steep when i'm only going to use a bit from the front!

Have got floors and a windscreen frame being delivered any day now, its starting to look like some progress might be made! i blew my respray fund on a beretta though so have some more saving to do  :B