Babies

sorbs

I was at the birth of both ours and it was without doubt one of the most emotional moments in my life.

There have been ups and downs and problems, times when you have to make decisions that you dont like.

I have jumped in a river to save Oliver and a swimming pool to save Rebecca, and if on both occasions we were not vigilant parents they would have drowned (especially Rebecca because she had a floatation ring that had caught round her foot and was holding her head down).

Your wrong GT most families have great kids, who grow up well, we do have to be wary of spending too much on promoting unmarried unworking families though.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I don't agree with that old foggie judge, that's why I posted it.  ??)

Where did you live when you were here?

I think a lot depends on location like American cities can have entire no go areas where life can be dangerous, sadly some of our cities reflect this too.

It is very dangerous to base opinions on the press too.

Rebecca did the ten tors on Dartmoor and to see all those young people doing something challenging was very heartening.

Its our government who are failing us, the people remain much the same.

However GT you may be right....................I do hope not.

Sat at the dinner table having lunch today and generally being mean to Martha (my youngest). She is most definitely a chip off the old block (bad news for her). She pointed out the scar on her eyebrow from where she dived into a swimming pool in Italy, as a 6 year old, but being somewhat 'devil-may-care', she hit her head on the edge instead, as she went in  ::). She had a lovely neat little cut- hence the battle wound. She delighted in telling me she then lay on my tummy to recover with a tea-towel on her head for dramatic effect!

We are always getting into scrapes, such as both walking into the same lamp post, because neither of us were paying attention as we walked hand in hand down the street! I hit my knee on it, she banged her head. It was a metal lamp post which gave out a marvellous comedy ringing note when her head hit it!

So when we got home, she had a bag of frozen peas on her head, and I put a fish finger on my knee. ;D

Fun, fun, fun! :)

Maybe we need a different thread to cover what happens as they grow up, because teenagers are another species to us and often you feel like strangling them :( then they change back to a human after about 3 years or so 8).

Boys are horrible from 14-17 and girls 14-16 it would seem.

In our family we have no children that qualify as a waste of space.

We have

A Vicar yes true.

A snooker professional

A car dealer.

An aircrew member.

A voluntry ambulance worker

A Skiing instructer.

A member of a successful band (not famous enough to be rich).

Not one is a benefit bagger or been in trouble with the police.

So I stick on the fact that this country needs to worry about the growing underclass that live of us like leeches, with money thrown at them like confetti.

I need input guys.

The eldest (Jess) has a very nice boyfriend, who has stayed here frequently and been away on holiday with us.

His home life is crap- mad mother and socially inadequate father, added to which is the feckless and over-indulged younger brother, who is a prime candidate for a 'Knackerjack' special 'Underclass leech', in a few years time.

So the nice guy is finishing Uni in a few months and struggling to get a placement. He went home at the weekend to see his parents. He had to buy a new shirt for the wedding he was going to, as his mad mother has filled his bedroom with junk, now he can't get to any of his clothes ::)!

So this morning the inevitable happens. Jess asks if he can come and stay here. :-/

My first responce is: "I feel I do a lot to help other people in life and I sometimes question whether i'm wise to always do that. This is a house that is used to having 4 people in it, and I am not sure about changing the dynamics, by having a 5th semi-permanent member in (unless it's Kylie or Natasha McElhone ;D)"

It was left I would speak to my wife Sue about it. Not an out of hand rejection, obviously Sue has an equal input, but it is not top of my wants list :X

I can understand your reluctance Bruce, a relative stranger coming to live in your house, not knowing how you would get on and how he might treat your house/belongings.

Think you would need to find out how semi-permanent he would be and consider housekeeping money to be paid if he is to eat from the same cupboards as you.

Took me a while to get settled where I am now, living in the same house as my bosses, trying to work around each other and work out the other peoples routines.

Steve

In our family we have no children that qualify as a waste of space.

We have

A snooker professional

A famous one mate? Ronnie's a waste of space. I keep losing money on him.  :(

Brucie - are you really going to let someone move into your house on the say-so of this board? If you are I'm looking for a weekend flop from time to time and I'm not too far away from you.  ;D

I can understand your reluctance Bruce, a relative stranger coming to live in your house, not knowing how you would get on and how he might treat your house/belongings.

Think you would need to find out how semi-permanent he would be and consider housekeeping money to be paid if he is to eat from the same cupboards as you.

Took me a while to get settled where I am now, living in the same house as my bosses, trying to work around each other and work out the other peoples routines.

Steve

Good points Steve.

The bloke is a nice, quiet fella. The money issue hadn't occurred to me- that's why i'm so crap with money!!!

You're entirelly right about the routine side of things- I do sometimes find it a challenge when he stays; for one thing, it seems to empower my daugther to behave in a more outlandish and opinionated manner, and then we end up with her mother being taken for granted by the daugther (not the boy friend- he's is quick to point out how lucky the daugther is!), then there is friction. Things can build up too quite a head of steam between the mother and daugther, and I have to break out the UN blue beret and convene the security session for peace talks between the two::).

My opinion is that the world is a bit too screwed up to bring children into. If you spank them, you go to jail for child abuse. If you don't, they grow up to be monsters with no respect. Nobody plays outside anymore, they stay glued to the boob tube :-/. They all think they are going to be a "star" or "rapper" or "pro-athlete" when they grow up.(most of which are terrible role models). There is no focus on education or science these days, only how to be popular and a star. Society is degenerating. I liked life pre 1994, after that, its gotten weirder and crazier. Seems like what used to be wrong is now considered right and vice versa.

But for those of you who want to have kids. Teach them well and be a good  ;)parent.

Well Brucie, Pandora's Box springs to mind!  Fortunately your predicament never arose for us.  I think you, your wife and two children should sit down and discuss this as it affects all of you. You say he's about to finish Uni and hasn't found a 'placement' yet.........does 'placement' mean 'job'.  There are many things to consider, for example; how long will he stay for, where will he sleep, will he be eating your family's food, will he contribute financially, will he cause you wife extra work, will he clean up after himself, will it cause more friction between daughter and mother, what happens when daughter and he fall out, what sort of 'house rules' will you want, what happens if those rules are not adhered to?  Just a few things to get the discussion going!!  ;D  I'm sure you can think of more.  I don't envy you this one! Good luck whatever decision you and your family come to.  :)

Sounds like a really tricky one, i do like the suggestion of a house meeting ( but be prepared ! or it could go to a vote or in a strange direction and then you could really be out voted)

I am  great fan of so what are you all going to give up to make it work ?, no pain no gain if they want to do it make them seriously think about what they might have to give up, Bathroom time, space There bedroom?

Should focus some minds ?

On a good note My mum and dad met when he lodged with my nan married 50 years this year so it can work out good.

Good luck with it any way,

Bruce you need to find out how long the move is for. And put it to him that you need to actively see him looking for a placement and sorting his home life out (getting his living space back) if he is lgoing to be living in your home.

My boss is in this situation right now. They have three boys, and the middle ones girlfriend is living with them at the moment. It came about because she owed rent on her flat..............so basically, she was evicted. She had a good job in London, and the boy is in the music business (did the music for one of the Citroen adverts amongst others) so these are not your typical low life chav types.

Started out well, but has now become a real problem..............clothes washing, state and usage of the bathroom, shared chores, are all big friction items. Then there is them having sex for all to hear.............and sometimes see. Not to mention the impossibility of getting any money out of either of them.

Don't do it. You may even lose your daughter over it whatever you do.

I just don't get it!

All this stuff about kids wanting to live as a couple from 18yrs old....

Is it because of pressure from everyone to "GET A JOB" "GET A HOUSE", "GET SETTLED DOWN".

For F...sakes at 18-25 people shouldn't be trying to live in a couple, they should be getting off to see the world and have a good time (MOSTLY SINGLY!).

Travelling broadens the mind they say!

I simply don't understand this new social phenomenon, kids living with parents until late.

If they want sex/screw, they can go and do it somewhere else, not mix it up in parent's lives, who usually want to do the same some times.  ;D

Luckily my kids understood this message pretty clearly, but they are lucky to be bi/tri lingual and have family relations/friends in different countries.

Strange cos my wife's family (branch in Spain) has a daughter and she's just had a kid at 19.... ::)

I guess Russians are like rabbits eh?  ;D

Well it was all going well and I was almost warming to the idea, bearing in mind all your well thought out contributions, until Smallfry came in from leftfield with his shag-fest horror story!!! :o :o ;)

I am pretty in-line with all your concerns here. Not surprisingly though, Stiglet's female common sense puts the realities of it all clearly in focus (ta! :)).

In fact, I had a chat with a 21 year old female colleague at work today, and she was aghaust at the prospect and merely said why don't they just move out if they want to be together- what's the rush.  8)

Right-on GT :). I reckon it's a generational thing. It wouldn't even have occured to me to ask my parents if my girlfriend could move in. :D

I have discussed it with my daugther and advised her the idea is a non-starter. She knows the boyfriend is still always welcome as a guest, including staying here as he did last summer for 4 weeks, when he worked locally, but the Artful Lodger- " I don't fink so!"  ;D

It was the Beatles started the rot with "all you need is love"....

Now all the teenagers take it literally, call the Beatles old hat, want to live like Lennon on the cheap and have it every day.

I get annoyed by this devaluation of sex stuff....

The best performances are always preceded by a period of great abstinence and philosophic thought...

.....oops talking of which it's time I went back home... ;D

A famous one mate? Ronnie's a waste of space. I keep losing money on him.  :(

;D

Well he was always a nearly on the TV type who has played the greats and occasionally given them a hard game, when he was younger his parents and grandparents spent loads of time trying to persuade him to do a "proper" job :D He only liked football and snooker so in the end he had his own club which the family helped run by giving up their "proper" jobs :D they sold the club and all drive BM's & Mercs while he teaches snooker and travels round the world with his beautiful Asian wife 8) its a hard life.