Where is My Audi?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

400 miles on the clock now on my "Poncy (sic) Audi".  It's loosened up a lot thanks to my careful running in technique and is getting about 40mpg.

When new, it was almost pathetically sluggish.  Now it feels quite lively.  Once all the burrs are completely worn off of the pistons I reckon it'll be OK.  

They do loosen up ALOT dont they?!

I rented a BRAND NEW Opel from Belgium airport, done 100kms or so, delivery miles, it was slow as anything, awful...I drove it straight to Nurburgring and nailed it on the limiter for 800kms of track driving. It was about 30% better when it went back to the rental company...It loosened up SO much I reckoned it might blow up. The powerband extended by about 1500rpm too....

I gave that heap of shit death.

I never have believed how much the engine has loosened up.  A 1.6 A3 is never going to be even slightly fast but I did wonder what I'd bought for the first few days.  It goes quite well now.

I've been taking it to 5000rpm at partial throttle once or twice a day for the last couple of days.  Still so much nicer than the 1.9TDI I had as a loan car.

The ECUs "learn" as well.  Even on our (well ex-, its gone now) old GTI, having left the battery disconnected for a couple of days it ran rough and slow at first (that's even rougher and slower than usual :P) when reassembled.  However, as it then had the dubious pleasure of having me smoke it around for a couple of days afterwards (to make sure I'd built the gearbox properly) it reprogrammed itself and was going better than usual when I handed it back..... it still got fired though!  I haven't got to drive its replacement (2001 Focus 1.6 Zetec) much yet but it seems quite lively and pleasant.

Nick

It does have that Playstation feel typical of all modern cars.

It also has a gearchange thing on the dash which suggests when you may like to drop it into a higher gear, or change to a lower one.  Normally I'd never put a car into 5th at 30mph but the computer told me to, I did, it ran quite happily and gave more mpg.  Obviously, I was careful to avoid labouring the engine.

I did think that the autobox on my Jaguar was one of those with an adaptive, learning ECU and hoped that it would eventually come round to my way of thinking.  It turned out that it wasn't, it was just programmed by an idiot.