Triumph TR4 Watkins Glen in-car

hoffman900

Sorry about the quality and sound. You can change it to 480p which is a little better.

The driver was 76 years old at the time of that video and still does almost all of his own car prep, engine assembly and tuning.

It gets pretty exciting about 7:30 when he runs down the lead pack.

The starting position is a pretty funny story. The driver qualified in 3rd oa for the Qualifying Race. During the qualifying race pace lap, the kill switch shorted out from being in the rain, the car died and he dropped near the back (about 40th), he worked his way up to 7th oa, but was penalized 12 positions for a single pass under yellow. So he had to start 19th on Sunday.

Nice bit of work there!  I've never done WG but I notices a lot of early apex work that paid off getting back on the throttle.

Oddly, I recognized many of those cars even though I'm on the other coast.  Really gotta get back the subscription to Victory Lane.

Who, pray tell, is the driver?

Dick doesn't have a computer. I was, but got tired of emails clogging my inbox. I found out there is a digest version later on.

Here's how his 2.20.8 stacks up against the others in the All Triumph race at WGI a few years back. He was side by side with the Group 44 TR6 and another SCCA TR6 (just behind the TR250K and Kreger's TR6) when the motor blew.

http://svra.com/SVRA/SVRAHome.nsf/attachmentweb/EJEN-7JCM24/$file/Triumph+Race.html?OpenElement

Going to good 205/50 cheater R-DOTS should drop him down into the 2.17's.

Very impressive, I ran against Kregers TR6 at Hallett a few years ago and scored fourth to his first.  I know how fast he is.  Oddly I beat the 250K handily.

A regular Who's-Who of Yank Triumphs on that list

Not sure what's changed with the TR250K since then. We started 3rd oa behind Kreger's TR6 and Halkias' TR6. The TR4 ran with the TR250K until about 4th gear, then the TR250K pulled away and ran down both of the above TR6s in a straight line. He was all over Kreger when Kreger lost a motor late in the race. I know the TR250K had 225/60 Hoosier Speedsters to Kreger's 245/45 Hoosier R6s, so the TR250K could have been faster. I'm pretty sure the TR250K beat Kreger at Portland this past year. Sounds like it got a lot more motor since then or the aerodynamics are really just that much better over 100mph!

Hallett and Watkins Glen are two totally different animals as well.

For those who don't know what we're talking about, it's a special built for Sebring. TR250 (TR5) chassis, 2.0L 6cyl, engine set back, and an aluminum body designed by Pete Brock

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4110/5194416319_c7ec63a0b3.jpg

Gosh!

That K-car!  The one produced by Kastner, to a design by Peter Brock, as a proposal for a new Triumph production car.

Triumph ignored it, although anyone can see the lines that the TR7 shared/stole and ruined.

I thought the car was in a museum.

How splendid that it's racing!

John

• 3 months later...

Posted another video from New Jersey Motorsports Park

This was the very first weekend on this track.  This is both drivers' 3rd or 4th session on this track, so they were still learning. Combined with 100+ degree weather, it was slick and chewed the tires up (both fronts were corded at the end of the race). An Austin Healey dumped gear oil on the track on the pace lap. You can see the black streak for about a 1/3 of a lap on the left side. The Morgan 4/4 is a 1600cc x-flow version and per rules weighs 550lbs less than the Triumph.

What a great video.  Excellent TR4 and well driven.  Dick again??

I think he could/would stack up well against our west coast racers.  Too bad that 3000 miles, almost all of Europe keeps us apart,,, 8)

Out of respect, let me add that I keep spelling Dick's name with a capital D but the auto correct function changes it to a small d.  No disrespect intended

Yep, dick again. Aha. I noticed that the first time I posted. lol. 75yo in that video.

I think he would have a great race with you guys. We know there are some really trick Triumphs out there! If you guys show up out east, we'll put a set of Hoosier R6s on the thing and go for broke!

He has a few more tricks up his sleeve for this upcoming race season. We'll see if they work out!  

I will.  Those TR4 boys are just too uppity and need to be shown the way.  Do you know they will pass me sometimes!  

Not that it sticks usually but still, ya gotta admire the gumption :P :P :P

;D those jerks. aha. I think they're just mad that their "proper gentlemen's sports car" is being beat by a Spitfire mutt.   :P

Hoff, FOT has the video now.  Kas responded that he's known Dick for fifty years and he was fastest the day they met at Riverside all those years ago. ;D

Cool stuff! Dick keeps Kas in the loop and he has all the in-cars.  

Here is Dick in his 289 Cobra.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/Dick_Stockton_1970_ARRC_Championship_finished_2nd_Large_.jpg

Here is Dick's bio. He's been around the scene for a long time. Everyone likes to joke that he's more vintage than most of the cars. aha

Bio:

Starting racing in 1959. SCCA National driver in the early 60s in an Austin Healey 3000, Formula Jr., Ferrari 500 TRC, Lister-Jag, and Le-Mans Elva MKIV. Triumph TR4 '64-'65. 1965 NE Div. 2nd place, ARRC Pole, 5th place finish after overdrive failed while leading. Glen 500 class win co-driving with Bob Tullius. '66-'68 owner/mechanic for Buzz Marcus's TR4 [ 66 NED Div 2nd (Tullius 3rd), top 3 at the ARRC before mechanical failure (ahead of Group 44) / '67 2nd NE Div (Group 44 took first at the last National race of the season), 2nd ARRC / ]. 1967 Leyland Motor Corporation trophy for the "Outstanding mechanical effort by a Triumph competitor at the 1967 American Road Race of Champions". ['68 NE Div 1 (John Kelly Group 44 2nd) , ARRC Pole 3rd place after spinning off track).] 1969-1970 BP 289 Cobra (CSX2009) NE Div BP Champ, 2nd 1970 ARRC. 1970, F5000/FA in a Vulcan. Front runner in IMSA RS/Baby Grand 1970s Datsun 510 and Toyota Celica. Mid Ohio 6 Hour Class A winner, and in the same race Buzz Marcus won his class in a Dick Stockton built Toyota Corolla scoring Toyota's first professional victory in the North America. Sat out most of the 80s and all of the 90s before buying back his old TR4 and started vintage racing in 2002. Ran a "disco" blue and orange paint scheme until he repainted the car black in 2008.

Has co-driven with: Bob Tullius, Ken Slage, Jerry "Racer" Walsh, Jerry Truitt, and one off with John Morton at Lime Rock.

Owned an all makes repair shop in Willow Grove, PA until he retired in 1996. Had an engine dyno and did race car prep since the early 60s. Dick lent out his loft to a young Skip Barber who built his first car there. Did tuning work for many club racers and names like Lou Gigliotti, Ken Slagle, Al Holbert, Buzz Marcus. A few of his mechanics went on to Penske racing where they had successful careers, and Jerry Truitt was also a long time employee.  

- Bob

• 7 months later...

Another video from two months ago.

The Lotus is a 1500cc, dual Weber version and weighs 1175lbs (w/o driver). The Triumph while having 2200cc, weighs about 2000lbs (w/o driver) per rules. Both swapped fast laps all weekend, and third place was over 4 seconds per lap slower. They were both really going at it. ignore the "man drama" at the end as it was resolved in the Triumph's favor. Could have swapped a 4.5 rear in the car and gone a bit faster.

Edited by hoffman900

• 3 years later...

I forgot about this thread:

2010 Watkins Glen. Both drivers (Dick Stockton - TR4 and Bob Leitzinger - Datsun 51) are racing friends going back to the early 1960s. The Datsun has a Ed Pink L18 in it and is on some sticky Avons. 

2008 Kastner Cup:

Short and not sweet. The car is quite a bit faster now too (a couple seconds a lap). The car should be close to being on par with the TR250K now.

NJMP track day:

The driver grew up in Dick's shop and races with the SCCA now. Took the car out for a spin during an open track day

• 1 year later...