Carbon Fibre Roll Cage.

post this again, when they offer it for a Spitfire!

Actually I think this is a device suited for folks with more money than sense. It might save some kilos as a bolt in device compared to a steel cage, but a real "race only" Porsche will have a welded full cage and save the weight elsewhere.

but, I don't care about Porsche anyway....

Reinald

Very interesting and as been said probably very expensive.  It's just the next step on from the integral fibreglass cage in my original competition Clan that was tested and approved by the then RACMSA.  I've got a copy of the approval and raced it for years with that only.  It was used by the team of 750 MC scrutineers to check out any new scrutineers on the team and always ended up with sheepish request about the roll cage.

Pete Richards

Have you seen what happens to carbon-fibre when it is stressed beyond its yield point?

Even if this is billed "anti-splinter", I'd prefer to have an energy absorbing steel cage around me.

As if I could afford one of these!

John

Have you seen what happens to carbon-fibre when it is stressed beyond its yield point?

Even if this is billed "anti-splinter", I'd prefer to have an energy absorbing steel cage around me.

Cuuldbe it is not made of carbon fibre but Kevlar.

Less stiff but it doesn't shatter.

http://www.designtek.eu/pages/products_porsche_rollcage.aspx

Steel does have a level of comfort, considering this is new ground.

No idea on price, as yet. I get kinda curious when price is not listed, nor seemingly un available via google.  ;D

Did read on "Bimmerforums" ...."With a bit more imagination and CAD designing/modeling, they should be able to change the way we think of roll cages. I doubt that round tubes are optimal."

*Edit* MSRP: $6500.00 *Edit2* 20k.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/webprojects2002/mjames/chemistry.html