Rear brake cylinders

Chaps

I seem to have had a run of bad luck with the rear brake cylinders on the TR. I've just replaced the driver's side for the third time in fifteen months (GWC1154 - the 0.7 TWR item). Each one seems to last about six months, then start leaking.

Before fitting the latest new one, I took it to pieces. The cylinder bore turns out to be tapered - the mouth diameter is nearly 1mm greater than the rear diameter. And the main piston seal was of such poor quality that it was flakey around the edges even before being used in anger.

I can solve the seals by having an EPDM item made locally, but I'm really not clear why the cylinder would taper. Bad machining or some crafty 'performance enhancement'?

Paul

21 minutes ago, PaulAA said:

but I'm really not clear why the cylinder would taper. Bad machining

Bad machining….. probably hand honed under a tree by a small child somewhere in Asia. Surprised they seal at all.

TWR or TRW? The latter ought to be fairly decent…. Where are you buying them from? Have you had a whinge - if you don’t, they won’t know…….

11 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

TWR or TRW?

Fat fingers. TRW, of course, sourced from Rimmers (who are, I have to say, are excellent to deal with in my limited experience). Good prod - I'll drop them a note. They've already replaced one set FOC, but maybe the twig didn't drop.