Big End Shell Recommendations?

Thanks guys. I see I can get the King Tri-metal for a good price in Australia, Id feel more comfortable using them than the bearings I have. I'll buy a set when the engine builder lets me know if the crank needs a grind or not. I'll check out those Revington ones too.

Cheers

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 years later...

Hello, I realise it's late but this might be of some use to someone out there. With some help from Nick here is my experience (so far) with main/big end bearings for the "" One step foward two steps back" Thread. King box EB4M2407-010 and inside county M341 010 AX bearing and King box EB6B2406-010 and inside county C448 010 BX bearings. Regards,Michael.   

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Sparky_spit,  As Nicks description and the sellers claim (Their second sets sent to me) they are the tri-metal. The first sets were shiny aluminium coloured. These sets are dull finish even though the second set look a bit shiny in the photo,and the numbers are supposed to mean so too!  Regards, Michael.

• 1 month later...

Just bought the same ones,  tri-metal mains and big-ends (except for a 1500 4cyl; not a 6cyl) and they were a good price (about £30 a set) from Moto-Build Racing in Sutton, Surrey.  They arrived within a day and look good.  Just need to test fit and check clearances.

Definitely the mains giving 1 thou extra clearance than the old bearings (VP2), and the big-ends giving 0.25 of a thou extra, even though they were the same King Tri-metal as the old ones.  So I'm going to re-use the VP2 Main shells, which were unmarked, and which give me 2 thou clearance, and use the new King Tri-metal big-end shells which give me 2 thou clearance also.  Clearance figures from the machine shop's Big Book of Specs states Mains clearance as 0.0005" to 0.0022" and big-end clearance as 0.001" to 0.003", so I'm happy with that.

Just a bit to explain why I can re-use the VP2 main shells....

I took the crank into Robertson's in Colchester for a re-grind. The bloke in charge opened the conversation with "That looks like a Triumph crank..." as I put it on the counter. He then spent 20 minutes measuring, looking like he was born with a micrometer in his hand, consulting the very thick book open on the counter, doing a quick test on the crank journal surfaces out in the workshop itself, before deciding it didn't need a re-grind but just a polish.  Although the journals look bad in the pictures in the "1500 Engine post mortem" thread on here, they were not as bad as they appeared and he reckoned he could polish them out and still stay within the diameter tolerances. And he did.  They ended up at  2.311" and 1.866" (Big-ends  were already 10 thou under) and are as smooth as a baby's bum.  And to do this he charged me £24.  And said that if it didn't work out okay to bring it back and he'd fix it for me.

I've added him to my Christmas card list.