Mega Jolt Or Megasquirt?

Hey, Im in the process of rebuilding my engine and have been recommended to eventually take control of the ignition to reap the benefits.

Ive been looking into Megajolt but was wondering what the consensus is of going with Megasquirt and running it spark only just to have the option of going to full EFI later on.

Mega jolt from what I read seems fairly easy to set up, would MS be a similar proposition? (ignoring self building the MS for now). Also is it worth going MS just to not have to use EDIS6?

Also, I always though MS and MJ were from the same company, which doesn't seem to be the case. Were they once?

The reason for going spark only is I already have a well set up PI on the car which has been pretty reliable, and have read there are many benefits to be reaped from properly mapped ignition.

Cheers

Josh

Hi Josh, main difference for me seems to be that MJ is faster built

into the car and faster set up ready to use.

The MS needs some more sensors and is a DIY job.

Whatever you choose MS1, 2, or 3 it can fire the engine

properly and you are free to take any way of triggering

and combine them with any ignition type you like.

The easiest way would be to keep the points as trigger

and feed the MS with the signal and the manifold pressure

and give the stock coil the signal back when to fire.

All you need is a MS1 and an additional little amplifier for the signal.

MS2 has that amplifier already built in and can handle a VR sensor

for triggering directly

You can add EDIS to MS1 or take MS2 and take the VR trigger coming

with the EDIS directly.

Although you do not use the injection you can add the wideband AFR sensor

and log the engine with TunerStudio.

So you have a full rolling road built in and that is a huge advantage over MJ.

I have two EFIs in use and I am very familiar with WEBER DCOE and PI but

would always prefer the MS EFI for reliability, power,economy and easy setup with logging.

Thanks Andreas. I already run a wide band O2 and am pretty keen to go for a coil pack and crank triggered VR sensor to do away with any errors in the distributor drive. Logic tells me I should probably go for the Megasquirt as it seems to do all that the MJ does but with the option of fuel control later if I want to go that way.

Am I right in thinking the MS doesn't need to run an EDIS module any more?

I was also toying with the idea of going for a 123 tune distributor because it seems so easy but they are just so damn expensive.

Cheers

Josh

Like Josh, I am looking into future options for my saloon (on stromberg carbs :unsure: )...

What is the opinion on "Micro-Squirt" ? (which comes prebuilt, and not to expensive)

http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d67.html

Am I correct in thinking that this combined with an EDIS could control ignition and fuel later on if one chose to go down that route ??

Crank triggered for max accuracy - no argument!

MS gives greater flexibility than MJ (depends a little on the version chosen) and some versions (MS2 upwards on ver 3 hardware) can easily be modified to give distributorless control without EDIS.  MJ always needs EDIS.  If you don't feel like building your own ECU (and TBH a version 3 kit would make a pretty scary first project!) then it is perfectly possible to buy them ready made or even use a Microsquirt (note the external/additional MAP sensor)

These days there are also other options for stand alone ignition control

http://www.nodiz.co.uk/nodizpro-features.htmlis one of the more obvious ones

Nick

Am I right in thinking the MS doesn't need to run an EDIS module any more?

I was also toying with the idea of going for a 123 tune distributor because it seems so easy but they are just so damn expensive.

VR sensor needs a special input due to the signal delivered.

MS1 does not have that so EDIS was popular to form a signal

that the MS1 can understand.

The MS2 has that preamplifier already built in and must only be routed

into the input line of the trigger by soldering three bridges, quite easy to do.

123 ist quick and dirty. Very good idea if somebody would never step to MS.

but the disadvantages are numerous:

I start my claim with the 123tune because the 123ignition with no USB is nothing for our modified engines.

Although we can program the ignition advance it is not that straightforward and drives you crazy.

If you want to start the engine with a static advance you have to turn the distributor and keep in mind

that the display shows "0" although you advance. There is no chance to give static advance by software!

So later when engine is running you always have to subtract these maybe five degrees you already have fron beginning

from the numbers you use. E.g. if you want 30 degrees max advance you key in 25 because you already have the 5 from starting.

The part throttle advance can only be set for a special manifold pressure equal for all revs. If you want more or less

advance at 2000rpm than at 4000 rpm with the same manifold pressure you have a problem.

123tune offers no real 3-D mapping!

The damping of the part throttle advance is much too much. It brings you in the position to connect only

one manifold, maybe with WEBER and get a stable advance but when you press pedal you have much too

much advance for over a second that lets the engine pink until 123 reacts for the new pressure.