Cv Conversion On A Gt6

Hi all,

Just had a quote of £480 from a precision engineers to carry out the modification of the vertical links to take the rover bearing.

Is this how much I should expect to pay or is this excessive?

How much have others paid for such work?

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Welcome.

That is excessive.  I would say at least 2 x what could be expected even for a one-off.  I was paying under a quarter of that, per pair, though admittedly for batches of 12+ links.  Don't think I could replicate that now but still think under half your figure would be possible.

There are two ways of doing this.  

- It is actually a pretty simple turning job, though the right size lathe is needed and some don't like putting such a knobbly object in a lathe (especially if the radius arm brackets are stuck in there as they often are).  This is definitely the quicker, cheaper way if you can find someone who'll do it.

- The other way is in a vertical mill.  This requires a fixture and some fairly special tools for the mill.  This the way mine were done and I took the hit on the tooling-up costs as I was planning on doing reasonable numbers.  Makes no sense for a 1-off (ok, 2 off) and I wonder if your high price includes some tooling?

Just noticed Gareth has put a very timely post on here

http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/7041-g%E2%80%99s-spitfire-mk3/page-2?do=findComment&comment=94856

You need to drop him a line - he's on the mainland but only just across the water (ish)

Nick

Thanks Nick and GT6_sleeper for your reply.

Thanks also Nick for the link for Gareth.  I'll get in touch right away.

By the way, I love the web site.  There are some very clever people out there with lots of great ideas and knowledge!

Cheers

Andy

Possible sideline for you Paul?  I still get enquiries from time to time.........

Andy,

Thanks for the positive comments - quality of the site has alot to do with the quality of the contributors  so pleased feel free to add your own project thread with pics.  :)

NIck

I'd be happy to take up the slack if needed  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I should have posted this sooner (sorry)!

Paul (MrSpeedy) machined my vertical links for me back in January.  I had the Rover bearings pressed in and everything was spot on!

I'd just like to publicly thank Paul for doing such a great job.  I'll post some photos of them later.

If Paul is offering to do others then I can thoroughly recommend him for his workmanship.

Many thanks Paul.

Andy

I should have posted this sooner (sorry)!

Paul (MrSpeedy) machined my vertical links for me back in January.  I had the Rover bearings pressed in and everything was spot on!

I'd just like to publicly thank Paul for doing such a great job.  I'll post some photos of them later.

If Paul is offering to do others then I can thoroughly recommend him for his workmanship.

Many thanks Paul.

Andy

Thanks for that. It's always nice to get some feedback  :)