Wohooo - Officially Megajolted :-)

After a loooong wait I finally got around to megajolting the car last night. When I say that "I got around" that should properly read JensH (AKA The Mad Welder) got around to finish the install :teehee:

We had had quite a bit of troubles with the bracket for the sensor. The only part of the install I had actually done on my own was locating the triggerwheel, and it appears that I put the dang thing in the most stupid place, where it would be pretty close on fouling on the belt.

Still - after a bit of fiddling and a new bracket we managed to get the sensor seated sensibly - not to close not to far, and just in the right place.

The wires were installed tidy, and everything wasready for turn of the key.

After a 20ish seconds of cranking (hadn't been started for 6 months) the engine started and settled on a very low and very stable idle. Nice :thanks:

I had forgot to bring the right network cable (just brought the adaptor :pinch: ) so we could not upload a map. But the limp home test mode were absolutely brilliant for just testing the install.

Now on to the fun part - find a map that suits a ported ghead, balanced engine, 1.5SU on a 1300 engine, flowing filters and 4-2-1 manifold :-)

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

Congrats on firing it up!

Looks like you followed my build a bit too closely, I had the same trouble with the bracket getting very close to the belt. ;)

It would have been impossible to remove the belt with the bracket in place, so I cut down the bracket.

Did you also put the bracket at 90deg?

Regarding the map, I'd start with a basic 1500 or 1300 map, and modify where necessary.

There should be some in the archives.

If you can't find it I have a 1500 map build from the workshop manual.

Any pics of the final install?

Frederick

Hi Nick,

Congrats on firing it up!

Looks like you followed my build a bit too closely, I had the same trouble with the bracket getting very close to the belt. ;)

It would have been impossible to remove the belt with the bracket in place, so I cut down the bracket.

Did you also put the bracket at 90deg?

Actually for this part I did not follow your build - I cocked up all by myself :yes: . It is pretty close to 90 degrees - I think it is the 7th tooth from TDC.

Regarding the map, I'd start with a basic 1500 or 1300 map, and modify where necessary.

There should be some in the archives.

If you can't find it I have a 1500 map build from the workshop manual.

Any pics of the final install?

Frederick

JensH has a map for his 1300 engine. Not with HS4 though. I will use that as a starting point.

Pics will follow when I get them uploaded

Cheers

Nick

Hi Richard

Thanks for the map- I will try it.

I have been studying the manual, but do not really understand the part about advance correction (the second tab on the MJ configurator).

Do you just leave it blank?

Cheers

Nick

Hi Richard

Thanks for the map- I will try it.

I have been studying the manual, but do not really understand the part about advance correction (the second tab on the MJ configurator).

Do you just leave it blank?

Cheers

Nick

Only leave it blank if you don't have a temperature sensor installed and connected to the Megajolt. If you have one, first you get a calibration file for the sensor, then you plot the temperature values you want the ignition advance to increase or decrease at.

Scratcing my head......... is advance correction only used when you have an engine temp input?

Cheers

Nick

Correct, well only if you have some sort of extra input. Doesn't have to be engine temp, could be air-fuel ratio, ambient air temp, oil temp whatever but engine temp is probably the most useful/appropriate.

I've taken a photo http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/6084-megajolt-temperature-correction/page__view__findpost__p__81113 on my phone so you can see how I've installed the Rover/Mini sensor in mine.

5/8UNF, screws straight in. It's got a hardtop mounting bolt for one of the thermostat housing bolts as I only remembered I'd need a longer one for the new housing after I'd applied the gasket dressing, didn't have time to rummage for a new one so grabbed the first 5/16" UNF bolt that fit!

If we could calibrate this sensor so the values put in the chart are accurate to what the temp actually is, that'd be really helpful (ie instead of '225' being operating temp, itd actually show it as what it is in degrees, 88c). All it'd take is someone putting the sensor in water, and measuring the resistance as they change the temperature of the water. From that we'll be able to make an excel calibration file to import straight into Megajolt, and later Megasquirt if people decide to use the sensor for that. I think I'll end up keeping this sensor when I eventually go for injection.