Megajolting

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New engine mounts raised it by 12mm and tooth wheel now clears the rack. Put solid rack mounts on and gap reduces to 6mm but still OK. If it fouls again I can skim about 6mm of the back of the rack mounts. What a difference that makes to the feel of the steering!

Next job is to get a new MOT (ran out in June I think) everything seems OK apart from horn not working and washers not working. Probably something simple on both but got too dark to see wqhat I was doing yesterday.

Will make the sensor bracket this week and then should be good to go.

• 1 year later...

So 18 months later got back to this project and time for an update, re-posted from another thread:

'Almost finished the meagajolt install, fitted the megajolt box, Edis and crank sensor. All wired up and working as far as it goes - just waiting for HT leads to be delivered so I can finalise coil pack position, hoping to put it where existing coil is.

Also updated Megajolt firmware and configuration progaram to latest version - had some problems flashing firmware which eventually traced to the USB to serial convertor, flashed on direct RS232 connection on desktop PC and worked fine. Bit odd that as the configurator software works fine and will read and write maps etc.'

Leads arrived yesterday and had a mount made for the coilpack, it will fit where existing coil goes so easy swap back if ever need to. Just need an hour or so to wire it in and bolt to bulkhead then should be able to fire it up.

Will get some pictures and post as well, nice to be able to work on the car again after so long so going to make the most of it while I can, aim is to get engine and mechanicals in good nick over the summer then bodywork next winter.

Anyone got a glass fibre bonnet going cheap?

• 2 weeks later...

Everthing works really well, had a couple of problems to start with as labelling on coilpack was not the same as instructions and had problems with firing order. Now adding an input for temperature so can add a bit of advance from cold and dial out as engine warms up. Also adding electric fan (trialling a switch in last picture on radiator top hose outlet).

Tidying lots of knackered old wiring up and doing loads of jobs that never got finished over last couple of years but at same time want to keep car driveable while I can. Will do mechanical and electrical bits this summer and start bodywork this winter.

It's going to get a bit more use attending a couple of events this year but not car stuff related, may be some pictures towards end of May.

MAP works fine with the spacer things (they came from Minispares about £3.50 each and as you say much easier than drilling and tapping manifold - don't forget to buy extra gaskets) they have a very fine hole in them (about 0.5mm) so act as restrictors, I did have an extra restictor in the line (you can just see it in the picture beyond the tee piece) but get a more stable vacuum without it. The long length of pipe to Megajolt seems to act as a damper, will add a reservoir at some point to see if it makes a difference.

It's a Gen 1 coil pack and the leads came from Trigger Wheels as I couldn't find a set that where the right length and didn't want to pay Magnecor custom made prices. They are very good quality 8mm silicone leads,

Coilpack is mounted on a custom made bracket that is bolted to existing coil fixing holes.