Today I, Bollocks.....

I’ve had similar issues with W10. Bastard thing uploads everything to the onedrive without asking, then falls over and sticks its hand out for money because you’ve exceeded your free data limit and refuses to let you move stuff back because the one drive is full? :wallbash:

Hate it!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

This seems to a computer horrors weekend.       After several weekends, I wanted to see what my GoPro in the Vitesse had from Donington - it was the first time I had used it.    Camera out of car, plugged into PC via USB - nothing, not visible on File Explorer.  Turn  it on, and I can see the video on the tiny screen, but still not visible on Explorer.       Go to Google, ask 'How to'  and get various advice from "plug it in turn it on and watch on your PC".    Idiots.     To "download the GoPro Quik App and off you go!"     Try that.  Google Store "Can't find it", but  then I find it, at the Google store, but there is nothing to let you download it.  No "Download" button just ads and 'reviews'.  

Finally, after a hour of frustrated going around in Internet circles, I'm back on the Quik webpage and click on a button "Install of different devices".  At this stage,  I'll try anything, me.    And there's an "Install" button!!!!!!

Quick (!) click on it, and I do - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand relax, to the message, "Quik will be installed on your device shortly"    Who, and Hoo! 

But then I read it again - its going to my PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   BUGGER!

Anyone know how to get GoPro videos off the damned device and onto a desktop?  Please?

John

PS Just found that "Quik for desktops is no longer available"   Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

PPS It has dowloaded "Quik" to  my phone. Big F&^%8$! deal.   I want to see it on a BIG screen!  And its been "Downloading 1 of 4"  (4? what 4?) for the last ten minutes

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

I emailed the guy who sold me the GoPro, modified with remote control for the car, for advice, and his advice was to plug it into the PC via a USB cable, which doesn't work, or put the memory card into the computer's card slot, which it doesn't have. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

A bit of Googling finds that card readers are available that plug into the USB.  They range in price from £5 to £25.  Any recommendations, please?

John

Not all USB leads are created equal John.  If you try a different lead you may be able to see your GoPro on File Explorer. 

One of my cameras refuses to work except with one particular USB lead, though the other leads work just fine with different kit.   I think some do not have the full complement of interconnects.

Edited by DeTRacted

15 minutes ago, JohnD said:

A bit of Googling finds that card readers are available that plug into the USB.  They range in price from £5 to £25.  Any recommendations, please?

John, I have a UGREEN card reader which has a variety of slots for different size cards. Came from Amazon. £10 at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Reader-Memory-Adapter-Simultaneously/dp/B01ANDA8GE/ref=sr_1_10?crid=GFT8MVQC0IUH&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.BiD8S_9_MkxOELWGRF21qHlgaSlnMTuAxv4Bpw2KPhULPln6RmI08hnvS5DKKLNgXj0DSGLTHYGgo-cjW2lANjuc4mBoNbBHW2wBvc5Wj5stodzmr_AGwAdeggPLmg71jeQLKu1ay8R--LJbIeTwzNTD6NfgMKLbj8cF1gRi3TnBWkTmJjMZa2uyuboDv7E-0Sj-7Rc0051Lm0-k0sievJKT9vGVMXLZhyyhyOWC53w.1mIqiWgN4oEhPtaBS16vX71RhG06BkCVzqctn7tCWdw&dib_tag=se&keywords=usb+card+reader&qid=1712484261&sprefix=usb+card%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-10

Used it with a few different SD cards and works fine.

As Rob points out though not all USB leads are created equal. Which is annoying.

Yes, most annoying, when the 'U' in USB stands for "Universal"!

Thanks to both of you.    I see that USB-C cables for GoPros are described as "Charging" or Data Transfer/Synching", and sometimes both.  Just plugging in a lead is more attractive than digging the memory card out every time, so I'll try a new cable first .

John

6 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I see that USB-C cables for GoPros are described as "Charging" or Data Transfer/Synching", and sometimes both.

Yup, I tend to default to Data transfer myself.

A "Data transfer" cable will also do charging, however a "Charging" cable only does that.

Edited to add: a charge only cable usually has a lightning type symbol on it, whereas the data/everything cable will have the USB symbol. 

Edited by thebrookster

On 4/7/2024 at 11:28 AM, thebrookster said:

Yup, I tend to default to Data transfer myself.

A "Data transfer" cable will also do charging, however a "Charging" cable only does that.

Edited to add: a charge only cable usually has a lightning type symbol on it, whereas the data/everything cable will have the USB symbol. 

Another debt I owe you, Phil!

RR,  should we start a Banned in Boston TSSC Club?     May turn out not to be as exclusive as you might think!

JOhn

34 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm on a roll.. 

Screenshot_20240409_083248_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg

See  that's what you get for expressing an opinion contrary to the admins. When will you learn! :biggrin:

Sailed close to the wind across on the RSSOC forum myself a couple of times by contradicting the admins on technical fact (with examples) a couple of times. Bit like Basil mentioning the war though as I did get away with it. :ninja:

51 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Mobile was between the gear lever and the centre console :huh: basically stopping the gear lever. 

Glad you got that 'fixed' :tongue:

Not being too smug as I have previously been 'confused' as to why I was unable to select first in the Scimitar. And why the stereo was simultaneously getting very loud :blink:

Edited by Escadrille Ecosse
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2024 at 8:16 PM, Nick Jones said:

:biggrin:

Meanwhile….. at a lower level of technology….. though important….. things that make you say “POO!”

This is the drain access chamber serving our downstairs bathroom

IMG_4432.jpeg

Turns out it’s settled over the years and has now detached itself from the outflow pipe from the house. 
IMG_4431.jpeg

I say now…. But I reckon it did it a while back as there’s a fair old void. 

Chamber now on the wonk….. about 1” slope the wrong way….. so it’s probably moved about 2”.

IMG_4434.jpeg

Arse!

Fortunately our other bathrooms connect well downstream of this and are unaffected.  Though it probably means that I should pull out the bastard (in)Saniflo and change the motor start capacitor to ensure 1 shower and 2 fully working toilets.

IMG_4541.jpeg

Fixed.

I cheated. Got my local builder neighbour in…… It’s my job to bury it - but I can manage that.