Today I, Bollocks.....

Is that Makka Pakka's new bicycle?

image.png.436d502e4525fd624f91748c84430f91.png

Or Mr.Tumble's?

image.thumb.png.17c52693b204a24e87ce63ed4e31be04.png

I apologise for my choice of television viewing, but before sentence ask the Court to take into consideration my plea of "Grandchildren", leading to diminished responsibility.

Edited by JohnD
  • Haha 1

Last Wednesday, after literally months of lawyerly procrastination, indifference and downright obstruction, no. 2 son (aka the house cyclist) finally got the keys to the house he agreed to buy at the end of July.

This meant today was moving day and as his GF had accumulated a fair amount of furniture (someone had to!), which was stashed at and around her family home in Malmo (just north of Chippo), a van was needed. A big van (well, ok a 4.5 ton Luton). And as hire companies are still sniffy about under 25s driving their vehicles, I got to drive. So today I have driven 185 miles in a Luton Transit plus another 80 or do in Sooty because the short notice and Saturday severely limited the choice of hirer and pick-up location.

Was a good day though. The modern Transit is a decent vehicle and traffic conditions were surprisingly good. I even seemed to get more than my share of green lights. Young Sir had had a hard night out on the tiles (dressed as a Christmas tree) and was a little jaded, so he slept for the first hour or so, but woke up in time for critical navigation duties. Even got to meet “her lot” finally. About time. Nice people.

Getting back in Sooty after nearly 200 miles in the transit was interesting. Seems a one year old van can be more refined, have a lighter clutch and better brakes than a 27 year old A6….. who’d a thought…. 

Meanwhile, the young folks are on a steep diy learning curve. It’s a 1930s semi that’s been occupied for at least 30 years (apart from the last two stood empty) by an elderly single man. 

Some of the carpets are quite striking 

IMG_1916.jpeg

Going on you. Its what dads are for really.

That really is a most singular carpet.

Always amazes me, not so much that someone would buy such a thing, but that some manufacturer had the sheer audacity to make it in the first place.

Can't beat a bit of DIY. Good luck to the pair of them.

Edited by Escadrille Ecosse

11 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Last Wednesday, after literally months of lawyerly procrastination, indifference and downright obstruction, no. 2 son (aka the house cyclist) finally got the keys to the house he agreed to buy at the end of July.

This meant today was moving day and as his GF had accumulated a fair amount of furniture (someone had to!), which was stashed at and around her family home in Malmo (just north of Chippo), a van was needed. A big van (well, ok a 4.5 ton Luton). And as hire companies are still sniffy about under 25s driving their vehicles, I got to drive. So today I have driven 185 miles in a Luton Transit plus another 80 or do in Sooty because the short notice and Saturday severely limited the choice of hirer and pick-up location.

Was a good day though. The modern Transit is a decent vehicle and traffic conditions were surprisingly good. I even seemed to get more than my share of green lights. Young Sir had had a hard night out on the tiles (dressed as a Christmas tree) and was a little jaded, so he slept for the first hour or so, but woke up in time for critical navigation duties. Even got to meet “her lot” finally. About time. Nice people.

Getting back in Sooty after nearly 200 miles in the transit was interesting. Seems a one year old van can be more refined, have a lighter clutch and better brakes than a 27 year old A6….. who’d a thought…. 

Meanwhile, the young folks are on a steep diy learning curve. It’s a 1930s semi that’s been occupied for at least 30 years (apart from the last two stood empty) by an elderly single man. 

Some of the carpets are quite striking 

IMG_1916.jpeg

Striking, I’d say that was loud, dark glasses definitely needed after a night on the tiles :geek:

58 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Always amazes me, not so much that someone would buy such a thing, but that some manufacturer had the sheer audacity to make it in the first place.

Probably 70’s early 80’s all the rage then. Remember seeing a few friends parents houses with pretty loud carpets around that time.

• Haha 1

But Daaaaaaaarhilngs, that carpet, those sideboards, that fireplace!    They are but COMPLETELY 2024!!!!!   

Vid this pic of what is slaying them today, from the DesignCafe:

image.png.75f27b089a4208178ee2c749e5b1b799.png

Your son need change nothing to have a room that just hits different!

Stay goat, Daaaaaaaaaaaaarhlings!

Edited by JohnD
  • Haha 1

Spent a good four hours mowing the grass & fallen leaves today. It’s midwinter ffs!

To be fair it, needed mowing a month ago, but sooo much rain followed by even more rain has made it impossible. 

Grass itself was quite dry today, but the ground beneath, not so much.  Only got the ride-on bogged once….. Couldn’t use my usual grass dump as the mower would have sunk without trace.

Also unblocked a land drain. Two buckets of gloopy orange snot followed by an orange flood. Colloidal iron….

And dug loads of road grit out of our little stream. Think I need to tackle highways about that….

That’s a fair bit longer than normal and it wasn’t even all of it (some is still a paddy field).
It is definitely possible to have too much garden. Took a long time today mostly because the ground was too wet for the big ride-on mower in some areas so I did alot of walking. Also the leaves take up a lot of space in collection bag to there was much walking back forth to the grass heap to empty that too.

• Like 1

When I sorted the doorlocks on the Scimitar I had to cut one of the lock release buttons off before getting the door card off. At some point in the past (before my ownership) the link rod had been cut short for some reason and the plastic button kept coming off so my follow up bodge to manage the earlier bodge was to epoxy it in place.

Anyhow a bit of research indicated that the button is the same as that fitted to the Triumph Saloon, Dolomite and TR7 an I managed to get a replacement which I fitted today. That felt much better :biggrin:

2023121.thumb.jpg.8f213566b0b78cefb1bdb41d3bc93285.jpg

Going out to the garage I also discovered that one of the local foxes had done a poop outside the garage and somehow managed to spread it up the door. Thoroughly unpleasant and required application of bleach and the hose. :yucky:

Edited by Escadrille Ecosse
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, andymcp said:

You need to designate some as an 'area of scientific interest' and leave it to grow wild! :biggrin:

We do exactly that….. resulting in these orchidsIMG_1740.jpeg

IMG_1737.jpeg

Over 40 this year in three species.  This area not covered in the recent cut as still has standing water and not really recovered from it’s annual scragging in October.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

I do not think I have EVER cut the grass this late before its nearly Christmas for goodness sake!!!

Well, I was going to say that, then I remembered I did a cut at a similar time last year - reason that time was all of November in Oz then frozen hard for much of December…..

6 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

a bit of research indicated that the button is the same as that fitted to the Triumph Saloon, Dolomite and TR7 an I managed to get a replacement which I fitted today. That felt much better :biggrin:

This is good - would give it a like.

6 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Going out to the garage I also discovered that one of the local foxes had done a poop outside the garage and somehow managed to spread it up the door.

Euuugh! :sick: This definitely not good and gets a sad face.

SM went to London to help out her very pregnant eldest who was already a week overdue, principally assisting with 3 1/2 yr old grandson but also moral support and emergency babysitter.

Went up fit and healthy on 7th Dec. Grandson no.2 born on 15th celebrations and congratulations all round especially to mum and dad. :banana:

Note to self to have a word with no2 about his time keeping when he’s old enough to understand.:biggrin:

SM returns home at the weekend having put her back out lugging the pushchair up and down the stairs and kerbs all week and was developing a sniffle and slight cough whilst she was in London. Now SM in bed full blown flue and sever back problems. Have done Covid test thankfully negative.

What a bugger just before the big event.

5 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Congratulations on the new addition. That is fairly tardy…. Hopefully not a whole-life philosophy!

Thanks Nick, yeah thought he might be a no show. Certainly some concern was starting to creep into the London camp but all’s well that ends well as they say.

Hope that not going to his philosophy........certainly not his mums.

12 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Congratulations well deserved after that. I can sympathise from experience although in our case he hung on until 6am Christmas morning!

Hope Grandmother gets well quickly...

Thanks Colin, she’s holed/laid up in the spare room not wanting to give it to anyone else and producing the strangest sounds and other stuff that I’ve come across :sick:

• Sad 1

Last Saturday had a brilliantly clear sky, almost cloudless, except for a few that must have been very high, and composed of ice crystals, not rain drops. Some that passed closed to the bright sun acquired an unearthly iridescent colouring.

20231216_120340.jpg

• Like 2