Which sewing machine?

Sprint95m

Advice please,

from what is a bewildering choice available in store at Argos, which
sewing machine would be a good choice?

I am going to have a go at retrimming the seats of my Dolomite.
To this end I have acquired some fabric samples to have a bespoke colour combination.

There is actually quite a few other things I could be repairing, so rather than
do it all by hand, I am thinking a machine could be a worthwhile tool to acquire.

Thanks 
Ian

btw, I am looking at buying from Argos because they are now the only local shop
who sell sewing machines.
There used to be two or three reupholsters here in the town but they have retired

I would think that most machines from Argos might struggle with seat fabric, due to the thickness? Upholster machines tend to be far more heavy duty (I have one, an old Singer treadle machine, not that I can use it lol).

I would be looking for something secondhand myself, ideally from a upholsterer or an ex sail making machine maybe? Else you are based Aberdeen way IIRC, there must be sailmakers/boat stuff businesses, maybe ask their advice?

I'll ask some family members for you as well, they are the ones in the sewing line of things (they just don't have space for the treadle machine, hence I have it).

Phil 

Ian--

For upholstery-weight materials, including vinyl and leather, you'll need a "walking foot" machine.  The walking foot pulls the matetial from both top and bottom, rather than just the bottom in ordinary machines.  Sailrite has a number of machines, but there are clones for less money.  REX is one such.

Ed

I would check charity shops or ask around. 
load must be in clipboards

i borrowed my mums for my hardtop headlining. 

I think a half decent older machine should cope if done slow. 
You’ll  need a heavy duty needle for the tougher thread you will need. As said above vinyl and esp leather would be a challenge esp leather which is typically shaved to 1/2 thickness at stitch seems 

but even a fabric with thin foam attached should be do able.

ask around for a machine. 

Edited by Hamish

Buy an old 50's domestic machine These are available on the bay of much evil listed under semi industrial sewing machine YOU DO NOT REALLY NEED WALKING FOOT Tho it would be nice. I have an old Brother Window matic. Built in Dublin from old warplanes (Aluminium).. The instruction book states she can sew tarpaulin with specific needle. I fitted a new upgraded motor but it is too fast. So splashed out bought a PERIOD INDUSTRIAL SINGER TABLE. an LED worklight bulb,  A new industrial worktop and and from China a brand new servo motor. NOT GOT THIS BEAST PUT TOGETHER YET Tho I did use her to modify my vinyl Kirkey seat covers. She worked fine in standard form, Bar the too fast motor. This was through two layers of thick heavy duty vinyl and two foam. So certainly heavy duty enough. Bought the machine to DESTROY A full cowhide not brave enough to attempt that yet.

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Check out your local 'Free Cycle' they get given away.

brother are good.  Pre-1950's are also good.

Electric is very useful

Roger

Indeed Modern machines are lightweight cheap junk not up to heavier work UNLESS YOU GO FULL INDUSTRIAL. But thats spendy. A 1950's is up to the job AND ELECTRIC.

20 hours ago, Gt6s said:

Buy an old 50's domestic machine These are available on the bay of much evil listed under semi industrial sewing machine YOU DO NOT REALLY NEED WALKING FOOT Tho it would be nice. I have an old Brother Window matic. Built in Dublin from old warplanes (Aluminium).. The instruction book states she can sew tarpaulin with specific needle. I fitted a new upgraded motor but it is too fast. So splashed out bought a PERIOD INDUSTRIAL SINGER TABLE. an LED worklight bulb,  A new industrial worktop and and from China a brand new servo motor. NOT GOT THIS BEAST PUT TOGETHER YET Tho I did use her to modify my vinyl Kirkey seat covers. She worked fine in standard form, Bar the too fast motor. This was through two layers of thick heavy duty vinyl and two foam. So certainly heavy duty enough. Bought the machine to DESTROY A full cowhide not brave enough to attempt that yet.

Gonna start a new thread PERFORMANCE TUNING OLD SEWING MACHINES. :biggrin:

• Haha 2

Thanks for all the replies!
I was aware that I was entering a minefield :biggrin:....

Anyhow, I have went for a Jones (Brother) sailmaker from the 1950s.

As an aside, I did consider Singer but couldn't bring myself to buy one,
that is because my late grandmother worked for them in Clydebank during the 20s.
In her generation, girls had two choices...have clootie fingers and gut fish or become a servant.
She chose(?) the latter but when the arse fell out of the economy she lost her employment, so left (with one of her half sisters)
to go and work in the Singer factory making sewing machines.
This was a time when Singer needed to up production,
so they simultaneously took on many more employees and cut the total wage bill. Desperate times.

There is a nostalgic documentary on the BBC iplayer but my grandmother
(not that she ever said much about it) had a very different story......

thanks,
Ian