Troubleshooting oil temperature gauge

Nick B.

12 hours ago, zetecspit said:

You were fine.... the tyre incident was dreadful though. However, Megajolt is excellent and I would wholeheartedly recommend.

I think you may need to have a look at those needles though! 

his co driver had been telling him to change the tyre since the start of the 10CR. In a previous 10CR the same tyre was worn in the same manner, something very wrong with suspension geometry... He also had a rotor arm crack and fail and then found that the spare was for a MGB..... and had to change the brake pads as they had worn down to the metal backing..... :( 

mike

2 hours ago, Nick B. said:

Thanks - were you driving the yellow spitfire? I think we had a brief chat on densos and waterpumps at Rolduc. It is difficut to put faces and names on these internet aliases :-)

Indeed, yellow spitfire... we spoke a couple of times, but it is all a blur. 

If the needles are making 40mpg, they will be about right, I was suggesting investigation if it was 20mpg, which would have been terrible. Funny things needle profiles, especially when changing carb sizes. Things can seem counter-intuitive. But I would stick with them.

I even considered a pair of SUs for my ford engine.  A manifold is available, and it would really confuse people when they opened the bonnet. However, efi will stay mehinks.

10CR was fun, I was in the red Herald with the hardtop on. 
Will post something later, separate thread, about our experience, mostly good and fun! Havent worked out the fuel consumption but I dont think it was very good, running to rich. I fiddled with the maps just before we went away, stupid idea.

Mike

3 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

his co driver had been telling him to change the tyre since the start of the 10CR. In a previous 10CR the same tyre was worn in the same manner, something very wrong with suspension geometry... He also had a rotor arm crack and fail and then found that the spare was for a MGB..... and had to change the brake pads as they had worn down to the metal backing..... :( 

mike

Blimey!!

Wonder if CT might have to start "scrutineering" cars before these events, if only to protect their own reputation!

54 minutes ago, thebrookster said:

Blimey!!

Wonder if CT might have to start "scrutineering" cars before these events, if only to protect their own reputation!

I reckon some people should just be told "No" if they can't even sort tyres out before a long trip. 

Heard plenty of other pleas for stuff that should have been cheacked (easy by anybody with half a brain) 

Incorrect part being carried I can forgive, just about. Cluttering up a support whatsapp group asking about stuff not even checked is a PITA too. Get factual before asking.

I felt so sorry for Sam Clayton, he had got his dolly all sorted and ready, carried spares etc and then the auto box fails bigtime. It happens, but usually to those who don't deserve it.

Guess I got lucky. But equally cross as I thought I had put some spare mikalor clamps in the car, but couldn't find them. Still Dirk was ace, and Sean a gem.

There are things in my travelling spares collection that have done all the 10CRs I’ve done and possibly the RBRR too.  Not sure I’ve ever used any on my own car but I’ve handed out a few small bits and bobs over the years - mainly crimp connectors, jubilee clips….. and spark plugs….. always to PI owners at high altitude…… funny that.

As for setting off on a 2.5k journey with iffy tyres…..:down: