Le Mans Spitfire engine development, Autocar article 1965

Branching out from JohnD's crankshaft damper thread (Survey on crank damper pullies - General Discussions on anything - Sideways Technologies (sideways-technologies.co.uk)), here is the full Autocar article alluded to. Hopefully the image files have come out alright - you'll need to enlarge them to read.

I found it very interesting, with much more technical detail than in Graham Robson's book on the Works cars. This goes into camshaft timing, compression ratios, piston design and clearance, ring sizes, oil pump modification, rocker shaft flex and various other nuggets. 

Anyway hope it's of interest to others:

image.thumb.jpeg.7f5f068c4583c9ef38b43ad852df8004.jpeg

2056461833_Autocar1965SpitfireenginearticlePage002.thumb.jpg.c97851d89f1c70eaa17a01e061480f34.jpg

Pete

Is there a new thing on the board?   I KNOW I posted thanks to Pete, but I can't see my post.   What I do see is a line "Unread replies".

Isn't this a bit unnecessary?   I'd prefer to see a full thread, maintaining continuity, rather a one filleted because I've already read some posts.

John

You're all very welcome. I liked the bit about them lengthening the oil pump (think someone on here suggested trying that recently - possibly John?) and feeding it from top and bottom to reduce cavitation. 

@JohnD I've been seeing the 'unread replies' line for a while, it disappears if you refresh the page. Don't mind it myself, helps stop me reading threads twice!

I was mistaken, my thanks appear nowhere.    I know I wrote my thanks on my mobile, so no doubt I messed up sending it

So, Pete!  Thank you!

As you say, the article only mentions crank vibration in passing, but anyway, it's a most interesting read.    You can't find any more on your so-well stocked library shelves, can you, please?

John

Glad you found it interesting John. I'm afraid my library is not as comprehensive as you seem to reckon, sorry to say. I've got two of Graham Robson's books about Triumphs, i'll see if there are any other bits worth sharing.

I only came upon this article because Robson mentions an Autocar road test of the SAH "stage 2" Spitfire. So I did some googling and bought an old back issue from ebay, and that stage 2 review mentions the above article from an earlier issue. So I then I tracked it down. It was the olden-days equivalent of going down an internet search rabbit hole, I suppose.