Differential Mounts

rogerguzzi

Hello All

I have been getting a different noise from the rear of Spitty over rough roads(arnt they all?)

So today was a bit cooler so I raised the ramp to have a look around

All shockabsorber mounts looked ok and the radius arms and exhaust was ok.

So I removed a nut off the diff mounts and could see what is probably the trouble the Super Pro bushes are knackered! (life time warrarty !!!!!!!!! if you do not use them much!)

There was space around the pin and the outer but I thought I am not taking the diff out at this time in the year(winter job!)

So I turned up 2 sleeves 9/16" bore and 0.705" outer by 1 5/8" long and levered the diff to get even space around the pin and taped them into place and fitted a thin wash over the pin to give more clamping(worn again!)

Now I have about 1/8" clearance at the back were I think it was touching on bumps!

To be fair the bushes have done about 30,000miles

Roger

I wonder how long Triumph ones lasted (more I bet)

DSC03816.JPG

DSC03817.JPG

DSC03818.JPG

DSC03821.JPG

DSC03825.JPG

This is making me think. I have a "clonk" on the NS rear. Almost seems like it should be a shock, but it isn't (removed, checked) and indeed not radius arm. 

My next move was spring, but think I will check my diff mounts. They are red polybush.

And I have never seen original rubber bushes fail, despite taking probably 30+ diffs out of cars over the years. The spitfire was the first time I had used polybush.... now I am concerned.

Hello All

And we all thought these are the GOOD ones???

56 minutes ago, zetecspit said:

They are red polybush.

I have used those and binned them! I think all these might be ok were they to an have a easy life?

I wish we could get modern car quality ? they would not fail at 30,000 miles!

My theory they work on the fact that MOST classic cars do not do may miles so if they fail after 5 to 10 years they are good but only done 5,000 miles!!!!

I will report back tomorrow as we are out on one of our mid week runs and bound to encounter some rough roads! (not as may in Spain we recon it was less than 10% and we were off into the Bundo!)

Roger

DSC03614.JPG

9 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

And we all thought these are the GOOD ones???

I have used those and binned them! I think all these might be ok were they to an have a easy life?

I wish we could get modern car quality ? they would not fail at 30,000 miles!

My theory they work on the fact that MOST classic cars do not do may miles so if they fail after 5 to 10 years they are good but only done 5,000 miles!!!!

I will report back tomorrow as we are out on one of our mid week runs and bound to encounter some rough roads! (not as may in Spain we recon it was less than 10% and we were off into the Bundo!)

Roger

My diff mounts get a pretty hard time. The more I think (worry) about this, the more I feel the urge to check them. Saturday looks hopeful. And I need to see if I have kept any originals. 

I did break the front bracket on the subaru conversion plate shortly after it was fitted, but it was only 5mm steel (too thin) so a MUCH stronger 8mm structure with reinfocments was made. But the breakage caused the rear diff mounts to fail. I think this may have been after a visit to the Triumph event at Santa Pod. Coincidence??

Hello All

We had a run out today and hit some rough roads as usual I thinking the bang is a bit less! but I have been thinking about and I suppose the ones in the 2 rear ears are probably knacked as well and maybe the swing spring one(OH such wonderful Crap Parts??)

Plus Spitty has covered 125,000 miles from new and I do not think the body has ever been off so all the body mounts are probably knackered as well?

Its all a bit like the driver!!!

Roger

ps I must check the boot for loose spare wheel etc as well!

We may have a winner. Or looser, depends how you think about it.

And the diff mounting plate moves forward enough to touch the chassis bracket. 

Think I need new mounts before the 10CR. Ho hum.

20220724_114155.jpg

I’ve had that irritating offset and resulting diff to chassis contact a few times. On the standard diff it seems to be caused by the diff mounting plate getting bent and it seems as though they bends in service, though I’ve not worked out how/why that might happen. 

2 hours ago, Martin said:

The polybush red diff mounting did wear out instantly on my GT6. 

I can't find any OE rubber bushes, so has to be Poly. I presume there is nothing better than Superpro?

When I made the plate, it is just flat on the upper surface, no retaining ring to help keep the plate central to the bush/stud, relying only on an 8mm edge. I may see if I can find a bit of tube that is a good fit to act as a retainer, or even a core plug. (I used core plugs to replace the bush cups on my dolomite rear axle)

Hello All

Has anybody made a claim? and how do you do it as bills are probably long lost!

Been out today and still rattling (maybe body mounts!)

Now thinking the bit so called good rubber substitite for the swing spring is the same rubbish if you use them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus the eye bushes are probablly buggered as well?

Thank goodness when I fitted the new rear spring UK made I left there bushes in there ! as I had some others on the old spring go oval!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

ps we are the minority that use our cars so find how CRAP modern replacements are !

DSC03618.JPG

5 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

Has anybody made a claim? and how do you do it as bills are probably long lost!

Been out today and still rattling (maybe body mounts!)

Now thinking the bit so called good rubber substitite for the swing spring is the same rubbish if you use them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus the eye bushes are probablly buggered as well?

Thank goodness when I fitted the new rear spring UK made I left there bushes in there ! as I had some others on the old spring go oval!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

ps we are the minority that use our cars so find how CRAP modern replacements are !

DSC03618.JPG

Superflex have a 3 year/37000mile warranty. But I bet it is almost impossible to claim! 

Warranty

SuperFlex products carry a full 3-year 37,000 miles road-use warranty (whichever occurs first) from date of purchase, subject to production of the supplier's invoice.

Exceptions:

Bushes used in Motorsport, bushes subject to severe impact such as RTA (road traffic accident) or damage from pot holes
Import bushes with BZP (bright zinc plated) steel tubes which will cover a 1-year 12,000 miles road-use warranty.

Warranty is restricted to replacement or refund of supplied goods value, but no consequential loss (e.g. carriage, garage labour costs, vehicle recovery, car hire, loss of earnings, etc.) from any resulting problems. An order and use will be taken as a contract to accept these terms. Invoice number and date must be provided with any returned goods.

Roger,

your comment hits the nail:

"ps we are the minority that use our cars so find how CRAP modern replacements are !"

Exactly that is the problem, the Polybush blue bushes in the rear spring eye look already slightly oval on the Vitesse after 1300 miles.

Martin

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 5:28 AM, zetecspit said:

Warranty

SuperFlex products carry a full 3-year 37,000 miles road-use warranty (whichever occurs first) from date of purchase, subject to production of the supplier's invoice.

Hello All

I checked my records (Back pages of Haynes Manual!)

They were fitted at the start of 2016 when I rebuilt the Diff and reused when I fitted different rebuilt one 3 years later

So I suppose they passed the time scale but have only done 30,000 miles?

So I suppose the same again @ about £62.50 just for the Diff ones or do I go for a Floflex kit for the rear at £43 for all?

I wiould leave the spring bushes as they are proper ones as fitted by Heritage Springs and seem ok

Plus how long do I think I am going to be driving Spitty (77 this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and hopefully the Vitesse will be on the road next year!

Roger

ps Just had a rumage in the garage and found some new ones that came with the Vitesse! I think they are flowflex they are Orange 

So I may fit those in the winter!

pps I found Trunions and top ball joints and all sorts of other bushes etc! So enough to keep this poor pensioner going !!!

DSC03847.JPG

Hello Nick

It is at a cafe we stop at for breakfast but the sad thing it must have its flight feathers clipped as there is no roof on the cage!

I am not sure I agree with it? but it is the world we live in!

Roger

ps i think it is bored as the bark is stripped !

DSC03846.JPG