Oil Cooler

Hello All

I am thinking of replacing my oil cooler as I think it may may a very slight weep on it!

Plus I have been thinking for sometime of fitting a slightly larger one for when we are touring Spain and climbing mountains!

I have seen these on Fleabay but they look to good to be true?

I do not kid myself that Mocal etc are UK made or even EU all cheap things come from China

I have bought a few things off them before(not sure what now!)

I think I could just squeeze a 15 row in as it is only 20mm taller and the same width!

Any one bought one?

AeroLine 15 Row Silver Alloy Oil Cooler 1/2" BSP Fast Road & Race UNIVERSAL | eBay

Roger

Roger,

Forgive me advising an old hand!    Do you have an Oil temp gauge, and does it run hotter than it should on your epics trips?     Should be less than about 125C (260F).  

John

Hello John

Yes I have one fitted to the rear of sump.

The water temperature sits at just under 90 degs and the oil temperature sits at just on 90 degs or just over in normal driving.

It climbed to about half way between 90 and 140 degs when climbing  the mountains in the heat and sometimes on the level when it was 30 to 40 degs!

I do use Mobil ! race formula 10w-60 fully synthetic (I know its expensive but so are engines!)

Roger

Based on those numbers you don't actually need a bigger one. Sounds like you peak at 115ºC.  120º is top end for mineral oil but you can go higher with synthetic.  Possibly there is some advantage to a bigger one for mountain climbing when speeds (and thus airflow) are low but heat load is high.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

I have bought a new oil cooler a 15 row one  which I think I can just fit in the same position and in theory give 15% more cooling capacity!

It is a cheap Fleabay one so I want to pressure test it before I fit it (just in case!)

So I was thinking perhaps 50% over normal oil pressure 70/75psi= 112psi

So Ithought 120psi!

What does the collective brain think?

I will fill it with water and pump it up with a grease gun it is the safe way to pressure test if it splits it just leaks not shrapnel all over the garage as air would!

Roger

DSC03813.JPG

DSC03814.JPG

18 minutes ago, michaeljf said:

Hello,  Dare I mention an oil thermostat?  Regards, Michael ( I am thinking of using Mobil 1 in my engine when it gets going and run in )

Hello 

I have a thermostat built into the filter adaptor and I picked the lowest they do!

So it does not cool until about 80deg which takes about 15 to 30 mins to reach depending on time of year

Plus I have Microsquirt set so I can not rev over about 2500 rpm until choke setting is off.

Roger

roger,

In the course of  "Project Binky", Bad Obsession rebuilt filters several times, to get them into the very limited space available.     Each time, these experienced modifiers would test the unit with compressed air, and do it in a water bath, to locate any leaks so that they could be rewelded.

An airline must be far easier to use than some water compression device, and cleaning grease out of a filter?   No thanks!   Project Binky had several times when there was a leak, and their mods never exploded  - just thin trickles of bubbles, and some profanity!

Good luck!

John

16 minutes ago, JohnD said:

roger,

In the course of  "Project Binky", Bad Obsession rebuilt filters several times, to get them into the very limited space available.     Each time, these experienced modifiers would test the unit with compressed air, and do it in a water bath, to locate any leaks so that they could be rewelded.

An airline must be far easier to use than some water compression device, and cleaning grease out of a filter?   No thanks!   Project Binky had several times when there was a leak, and their mods never exploded  - just thin trickles of bubbles, and some profanity!

Good luck!

John

Hello John

It is a new oil cooler so no oil in it yet and if it leaks it will go back to the supplier!

As far as I know pressure vessels are always tested hydrauliclly!

Roger

Hello, Sounds like a good set up to me. How does the built in thermostat /filter adaptor work, I only know of the inline ones (between adaptor and cooler). Are you happy with the Mobil 1 oil as an all round oil? Regards, Michael. 

2 hours ago, michaeljf said:

Hello, Sounds like a good set up to me. How does the built in thermostat /filter adaptor work, I only know of the inline ones (between adaptor and cooler). Are you happy with the Mobil 1 oil as an all round oil? Regards, Michael. 

Hello

The sandwich plate has the thermosat built in to it like this.

Mocal Thermostatic Oil Sandwich Plates and Oil Systems | Competitionsupplies.com

The Mobil 1 oil seems to be ok and the oil pressure does not drop to much when hot or excess pressure we cold start up its just expensive but I just look for the best price any time and buy it for stock.

The only thing I have noticed it seem to give a different smell when burnt!

We only used about just over 1/2 litre in 2000miles when tourning Spain in high temperatures (30 to 40degs!)

Roger

• Like 1

Hi Roger,

Back from Spain? Thanks for the nice pics :)

Fitted an oil cooler, to my son's Spit 1500, a few days ago.

It has also the 80°C  thermostat in the sandwich plate.

Under normal weather conditions the oil temperature picked up at the rear of the sump will stabilize at 80 to 85°.

Before the installation of the cooler it went up to 110° under same conditions.

Today it was very sunny and warm (35 to 40°) and the oil temperature hardly moved above 90°C under normal driving conditions.

Merlin Motorsports sell a 92° cartridge (as a service kit).   Would that not be more adequate for our Spit 1500 engines, so that the 90°C get reached faster?

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mocal-thermostatic-oil-sandwich-plate-service-kit-m-otsp1-sk

Cheers

Patrick

Hello Patrick

I would not help it warm up any faster or no much if it did!

I went for the 80deg as I thought I do not want it getting to 92deg then trying to cool down!

I find ours warms up after about 5 to 10 miles depending on outside temperature and I have set the Microsquirt that I can not go above 3000rpm until the water temperature is about 125deg and hopefully the oil is a bit warmer!

But then I use Mobil 1 race formula 10/60 so flows well at lower temperature(well that's the theory!) but thicker at higher temperatures(seems to work!)

Roger

Hello again, Rang the Australian reps for Mobil 1 oil and after a bit of consulting with an associate or two they recommended Mobil 1  5w50  (FSX2  product 140530) for my application, which will be GEAR days and road use. Regards, Michael. 

• Like 1

Hello All

I have managed to pressure test the oil cooler after a lot of messing.

Grease guns that would not pump water! grease nipples that leak back

So what I did in the end was fill the oil cooler with water right to the top and then fit the grease nipple then I put some cheap engine oil in the grease gun and pumped it up to 120psi it dropped back to 115 psi but then held so I left for about 30mins and it held

So I will be happy to fit that sometime

Roger

DSC03837.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...