Bosch Lambda Sensor Compatibility

Any ideas is the Bosch Lambda Sensors 0258017217 & 0258017025 are interchangeable?

'17217' is the part number on then sensor that came with my wideband controller (which has gone bad), but have been supplied a '17025' as a replacement. Visually they look identical, the only difference being the length of the cables.

Thanks...

There are two main types of wideband sensor.  The old LSU 4.2 and the more recent LSU 4.9.  They aren't directly interchangeable though some controllers are configurable for both.  There are many variations of both types.

https://secure.lambdapower.co.uk/partsearch/crossref_bosch.asp?idlist=0258017000->0258017999

It does look like the only difference between those two is the cable length though (1000mm vs 320mm).  One rule of thumb I've seen mentioned is if they come with the same electrical connector they will be directly interchangeable electrically.  Though that doesn't automatically mean that the reverse is true as some vehicle manufacturers specify their own special ones.

EDit:  If you are using an LC1 controller, it's also possible that your original sensor is fine and the controller has had a stroke.  I had this problem in 2019, bought a new sensor and still couldn't get it to work.  After re-flashing the firmware (don't use the latest version!) the old sensor worked fine and still does but the new one still didn't.

Thanks Nick, 

Its an LD Performance controller and it was giving wildly erratic readings, I sent a video of how it was behaving and they said faulty sensor, but I guess they would. . 

I actually bought two replacement sensors, a genuine Bosch and an aftermarket copy, fitting the cheaper one and the controller didn't even recognise it was connected, that was yesterday..... I'll try the Bosch one today, hopefully that will sort it. 

Cheers 

Darren 

48 minutes ago, Darren Groves said:

Thanks Nick, 

Its an LD Performance controller and it was giving wildly erratic readings, I sent a video of how it was behaving and they said faulty sensor, but I guess they would. . 

I actually bought two replacement sensors, a genuine Bosch and an aftermarket copy, fitting the cheaper one and the controller didn't even recognise it was connected, that was yesterday..... I'll try the Bosch one today, hopefully that will sort it. 

Cheers 

Darren 

Ah, be careful. They originally used a different sensor that is almost impossible to find. 

I changed my controller to their later version (the controller was not expensive) that does use the 4.9 sensor. 

1 minute ago, zetecspit said:

Ah, be careful. They originally used a different sensor that is almost impossible to find. 

I changed my controller to their later version (the controller was not expensive) that does use the 4.9 sensor. 

Hi, 

Was definitely an LSU4. 9 sensor that came with the controller, the start up sequence on the display also confirms this. 

Pics attached are from the original one. 

Cheers 

20220611_170721.jpg

20220611_170712.jpg

If your genuine Bosch replacement also says LSU 4.9 on it and has the same plug, it should work.  If it doesn't then I'd be very doubtful about the controller, though if there is a way to re-flash the firmware, that might recover it.

Non-genuine sensors are a complete lottery.  Good luck......