GT6/Herald input shaft swap.

spider

Is it possible to swap the input shaft from a herald 3 rail 3 syncro box into a gt6 3 rail box so that it will fit into my 1360 estate?

Many thanks

Spider.

20220508_204124.jpg

No. The gears on the inside are different too.

You can use fairly easily use 3 rail gearboxes from Spitfires, plus early 1300 & 1500 Dolomite/Toledo. Single rail from Spit 1500 and later Dolly/Tolly can also be made to fit, but a bit more aggro.

Nick

10 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

No. The gears on the inside are different too.

You can use fairly easily use 3 gearboxes from Spitfires, plus early 1300 & 1500 Dolomite/Toledo. Single rail from Spit 1500 and later Dolly/Tolly can also be made to fit, but a bit more aggro.

Nick

Bugger. Looks like I will have to fit the 1500 single rail box non o/d ( I knew there was a reason I had kept it all these years) and have to source an appropriate length prop.

Will be putting a 6 cylinder motor in it at some point as I may as well keep all the mechanicals the same for all my cars.

At least I have removed bonnet,engine and gearbox from the GT6, which I am counting as the start of it's restoration that it has been waiting for, for more than 8 yrs.

No. You can fit the guts of a single rail into a 4 synchro 3 rail (though it doesn’t get any shorter), but not the 3 synchro 3 rail, which is what the Herald box should be (square output flange is the giveaway).

Looks like I have run out of simple , no cost options. So looking for a cheap 3 sync box or go all out and change engine,box,diff,brakes and suspension.