Is this adjustable?

Posted (edited)

I love to browse online auctions, and one came up with some small-force torque wrenches.   I bid, and won!

small_force_torque_wrench.thumb.jpg.a22c201a4126901ebdc32e1aad2bc090.jpg

It was 'only' £12, although P&P was another £10 (!)  and when I got it, I realised, this is a VERY small-force torque wrench, up to 35 pound-force INCHES, 4Nm or 3 lbs-ft.   The whole device is 10" long!  Any watchmakers like to buy it?

But it's a nice piece of kit; unless someone else really wants it, it's a keeper.   Tested on the bench it slightly overreads, like 2 lbf-ins.     There's a large screw, right through the body, visible above at 11 o'clock from the dial.    is that the screw that compresses the spring that applies the torque?   Would adjusting that recalibrate it?

John

PS I also bid recently for a large ultrasound cleaning bath.  It was large, the tank was about a  two feet cubed!  Just the thing for engine parts etc   I bid £60, would have gone to £100.   It sold for £480!   Que sera!

Edited by JohnD

I have a cycling mate and he has some carbon fittings that need lesser torque settings than I could provide him with , with my normal car focussed torque wrenches. 

perhaps you could re market it ?

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

You win some, you lose some.  This times a winner!

IMG_20220624_104002.thumb.jpg.3305eadb1e32c571dd059032f855ccd5.jpg

This IS a low torque wrench, 5-40 ft-lbs.   Bought from an online auction, for less than £20, it was made by Norbar, a good name I think.  I've tested it by my usual method, clamp in vice, hang heavy weight off the handle, and it reads slightly under, which is better than the other way!

From the same sale, I scored a 'lazy tongs' pop-riviter.  For long, I've found that the hand-grip style of tool is fine for 3mm rivets, but anything bigger is a real strain.   This type let's you use body-weight and/trunk muscles to compress the rivet.   Again less than £20 when its new at £75.

IMG_20220624_103918.jpg

But there were other bidders, and I was outbid by more than I wanted to spend on one lot, so bid on another.   The overbidder must have dropped out, as I also won another lazy tongs!

IMG_20220624_115037.thumb.jpg.fcc57cafc857b91b5565bd6d13fa4eca.jpg

This is unboxed, not new, but not worn, and I want rid of it!   What am I bid?

John

Edited by JohnD

7 hours ago, JohnD said:

You win some, you lose some.  This times a winner!

IMG_20220624_104002.thumb.jpg.3305eadb1e32c571dd059032f855ccd5.jpg

This IS a low torque wrench, 5-40 ft-lbs.   Bought from an online auction, for less than £20, it was made by Norbar, a good name I think.  I've tested it by my usual method, clamp in vice, hang heavy weight off the handle, and it reads slightly under, which is better than the other way!

From the same sale, I scored a 'lazy tongs' pop-riviter.  For long, I've found that the hand-grip style of tool is fine for 3mm rivets, but anything bigger is a real strain.   This type let's you use body-weight and/trunk muscles to compress the rivet.   Again less than £20 when its new at £75.

IMG_20220624_103918.jpg

But there were other bidders, and I was outbid by more than I wanted to spend on one lot, so bid on another.   The overbidder must have dropped out, as I also won another lazy tongs!

IMG_20220624_115037.thumb.jpg.fcc57cafc857b91b5565bd6d13fa4eca.jpg

This is unboxed, not new, but not worn, and I want rid of it!   What am I bid?

John

What size chuck(s) John? Do you know if these are still available?

Posted (edited)

It's a half inch square drive.    Might be considered a bit over engineered for low torque wrench, but probably a greater range of sockets available for this size than anything smaller.

Norbar still in business, with products looking very similar, but nothing exactly the same:. https://www.norbar.com/products/view/nsubcategory/categoryname/torque-wrenches/category_multid/1

John

Edited by JohnD