MOCAL Spin on Oil Filter Adaptor. Oil Filter (Borg & Beck BFO 4118)

Hi,

I have the MOCAL Spin on Oil Filter Adaptor fitted to my CP 6 cylinder engine.
I have a large filter fitted & even though I have no overnight drain issues I have always wanted it to be mounted below the housing.

I have found a filter that is very short that I believe will be able to be mounted below the housing & be replaced with out having to rotate the housing.

I am planning in fitting pressure transmitters along the oil galley and one pre-filter, but until then I think it will be no problem.
Anyone fitted this filter?

Cheers,

Iain.

IMG_4327.JPG

Edited by spitfire6

Iain,

As you may know from my recent posts, I'm desperate to get my oil.pressure up.   A bigger oil filter might reduce resistance across it.   That tall filter might do it, but you quote "B&B BFO 4118" while in the pic it's labelled "OC 61".  Which is it?

John

30 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Iain,

As you may know from my recent posts, I'm desperate to get my oil.pressure up.   A bigger oil filter might reduce resistance across it.   That tall filter might do it, but you quote "B&B BFO 4118" while in the pic it's labelled "OC 61".  Which is it?

John

Hi John,

The Large Porsche OC61 filter I have fitted will be replace by the mini  B&B BFO 4118 filter.

Cheers,

Iain.

1 hour ago, spitfire6 said:

Borg & Beck BFO 4118

That's pretty short @ 55 mm.  Cross references to Mann W77 which is 59mm.  BOth have single non-return flap and internal relief.  W77 is rated at 0.8 Bar (12 psi), can't find a number for the B & B one.

The Mann 714/2 I use is 79mm long with 2 x NRV and internal relief rated at 1.5 Bar (22 psi)

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER Katalog Europa/Oil Filter/W 714~2

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info. my search was futile.

My mini filter could possibly pass unfiltered oil at a delta of 12 psi. Hopefully this PD is never reached.
I have no idea what the cold or hot PD is on any filter.
I need to find a pre-filtered oil source point to measure this. I think its the big "Plug"?

Cheers,

Iain. 

8 hours ago, spitfire6 said:

Hi,

I have the MOCAL Spin on Oil Filter Adaptor fitted to my CP 6 cylinder engine.
I have a large filter fitted & even though I have no overnight drain issues I have always wanted it to be mounted below the housing.

I have found a filter that is very short that I believe will be able to be mounted below the housing & be replaced with out having to rotate the housing.

Cheers,

Iain.

I had the same desire to have the oil filter vertical on my TR6, mostly for silly aesthetic reasons.  I couldn't finds a filter short enough to work on the usual adapter.  This is a home brew adapter.  It shows the filter I'm currently using, but a quite a bit longer one also works.

My understanding is that a new filter will only have a few pounds of pressure differential across it, but this goes up as the filter gets dirty.  The filter in the pic lists a bypass pressure of 8-11 psi (I think think this means that the valve starts to open at 8 psi, and is fully open at 11 psi).  The pressure across the filter of course reduces the oil pressure the engine sees.

Ed

IMG_0701a.JPG

• Like 2

I like Mann filters.  They are used by OEMs - so quality is good, and they have a great website where you can review the specs (as Nick references).

Bigger filters should give less pressure drop, but of course we only see the outside, and the design of the internal filter media is critical too.

It's also important to note that the filter becomes more efficient after some use - so there is a good argument that on a healthy engine you should only change the filter every other oil change.

Also the bypass is designed to open when the engine is cold and pressure drop across the filter is high - so never rev. a cold engine as this can cause the bypass to open and flush the dirt straight into the working parts of the engine......

• Like 2

12 hours ago, flatter4 said:

It's also important to note that the filter becomes more efficient after some use

This is interesting, can you clarify what you mean by 'efficient'? I can imagine that they filter out more particles with use (like a partially blocked drain gathers more and more debris) but that there is also a corresponding increase in pressure drop. 

3 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Can you not rotate the adapter so the filter fits 

may not be horizontal but at least it would have a filter

Hi,

I can rotate several degrees CCW but worry the engine torque will close the clearance more.

Cheers,

Iain.

That’s very similar to how mine is on the Vitesse. Rotated up a bit so it just misses the PRV housing. It’s literally the only place it can go due to things around it. Don’t have any issues with drain-down. It gets oil pressure very quickly.

before fitting the oil temp sensor it was more or less horizontal and I had room to run a larger 724/1 filter. No drain-down issues then either. 

The Mocal adapter was designed for the big saloons and isn’t ideal for TRs or especially small-chassis cars.

Ed’s adapter is a very nice piece, which would suit a lot better, but I’m assuming he’s not planning volume production…..