Spain Holiday

Hello Nick

I think you are right it needs a thread of its as it is going to get way above my pay scale I just want the idiot version that is about right give or take a bit.

When I really sterted noticing it we were in mid spain on the plains and we were at 3500/4000 feet for about a week?

Roger

4 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Is the correction for fuel? ie 80% correction gives 80% fuel for equivalent load at sea level?

Hello Colin 

I am not sure now I just followed lemming like what someone on MS said???!!!

As I said this is the first time we have been high for 3 years(without Vino or Drugs!)the latter we do not do.

It seemed logical at the time as TR6's go rich at hight?

21 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Is the correction for fuel? ie 80% correction gives 80% fuel for equivalent load at sea level?

No. See my edit in my previous post.  Thanks for the Spitronics thread - it comes from a different angle - which is helpful.

18 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

When I really sterted noticing it we were in mid spain on the plains and we were at 3500/4000 feet for about a week?

Well, without looking in detail (I'm somewhat fuzzy at present) I think this is at least partly because you have misunderstood the way that curve is meant to work (as I had until this evening!) and applied too much correction, but maybe also because of the high temperatures.  The MS inlet air temperature compensation certainly doesn't work as expected on my car and has a significant effect on AFR.  The other thing that happens is that the fuel warms up and the energy density goes down so that will tend to lean things off too.  I have been aware of that effect for years, but MS has no direct way to correct for it apart from EGO.

Hello Both

I am thinking should I go back to carbs?

NO where is the challenge in that and there is NO way I would get 49MPG  over the whole trip!

I am thinking now thinking my starting map that I have tweeking for a while is ok !

It was the altiude/heat and maybe the setting for altitude that was wrong?

I wonder if the Memsahib will let us go back next week to test these theorys out?

Roger

DSC03377-001.JPG

Roger

didnt mean to take over your excellent Spain thread.  If it could be split out as separate topic that would be good.
I asked as I took my TR6 over the alps which was challenging... I even modified it using the choke control so you could weaken the mixture but didnt help very much and never really understood why.

Hope its better in the Herald with EFI!
I will check my MS setup, I have the second sensor for atmospheric pressure correction. I might feed in a dummy signal and see if the AFR changes. I thought the MS did a atmospheric pressure correction by making a measurement before the engine starts I guess it doesnt do that it its told there is a second sensor.

cheers

mike

8 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

I am thinking should I go back to carbs

Good grief no Roger :laugh:

I n every respect carbs are not as good and would have struggled terribly with the heat. Let alone giving you the excellent mpg.

Nick's point about the amount of correction is probably valid and probably why your manual adjustment on the TR6 struggled Michael. 

I'm also wondering if at these extremes there may be some benefit in ignition timing adjustments. Don't know. 

Edited by Escadrille Ecosse

1 hour ago, mpbarrett said:

I guess it doesnt do that it its told there is a second sensor.

Correct. As per above, if you have the second sensor enabled, but the 6 way table left at default, you will have what  has worked for me on 9 Alpine trips (and one Pyrenean) up to 2,800m. I’ve handed out a few sets of non-fouled plugs to PI sufferers along the way though. The PI cars can actually manage fairly well provided they are correct to slightly lean at sea level. Most are at least a bit rich though.

There’s no provision for timing change that I know of. Possibly it could stand a little more due to lower charge density……

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

I thought I would do a final round up of the trip!

So we were away for 21 days thats counting the drive down and back(but all part of the trip in an old car!)

So all the poor pensioner on here with sheds full of old cars and motorcyles that have to watch the pennies?

The total cost was as near as dam it £3500 = £165 per day

The Ferry was £840 the rest was petrol,digs and food and of course Vino!

As I said before we averaged 49mpg and just over 1/2 litre oil over the 1900 miles.

We think that is pretty good considering all the places we went and things we saw!

Roger and The Memsahib

ps we have booked the ferry for about the same time slot next year we work on the fact that we could get half our money back if one of us falls really ill and then rest would not matter at that stage? (£336)

pps we have only paid £672 this time as they are offering discounts(must be struggeling the get bums on seats?) so we have saved £168!!!! and we can change the dates if we want!

ppps I saw this in Lugo never seen a plumbers shop laid out like that in UK? and underground carpark and lift in Lugo

DSC03349.JPG

DSC03370.JPG

DSC03372.JPG