Track days

Afternoon all. The outing at Castle Combe earlier this month has given me a taste for thrashing around a track, so I looked at what else was available.

The only other one on the TR Register site that isn't quite sold out yet is Mallory Park on 30th June and I think I'm going to give that a whirl. Any other Sideways alumni going?

And is the TRR the only club that organises such things these days? I haven't seen any from CT in a long while. I wouldn't mind a mixed marque day but don't want to be too much out of my depth. 

I did ask my RBRR co-driver if he fancied going halves on the day but he's understandably a bit hesitant in case he stacks my pride and joy into a barrier. Not sure how react if that happened.

Cheers,

Pete

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

I think that the Register but some places of “MGs on track” club.

but I guess you need an MG to go with them ?

I would be wary of a non classic car track day. 

MGOT were very welcoming until this year. I was told a few years ago (by the main organiser) not to worry I had a Triumph and not an MG/Rover. But that seems to have changed.

Re non-classic days, or open pit lane stuff. It can get very hairy as driving standards "vary" and mixing with very quick cars and fairly ruthless drivers is not pleasant. I was thinking about attempting to get a group for a Bedford day, but they seem to be open pitlane. A group of Triumphs may help? But this year seems to be disappearing at a rate of knots. 

22 minutes ago, zetecspit said:

MGOT were very welcoming until this year. I was told a few years ago (by the main organiser) not to worry I had a Triumph and not an MG/Rover. But that seems to have changed

That's a shame, wonder why. 

My boss did an open pit lane day at Brands Hatch last week, in his new Lotus Elise. His review of the day didn't sound appealing! Lots of 'bigger boys' taking things a lot more seriously than him. 

25 minutes ago, zetecspit said:

I was thinking about attempting to get a group for a Bedford day, but they seem to be open pitlane. A group of Triumphs may help? But this year seems to be disappearing at a rate of knots.

Bedford is easy for me to get to! But yeah I don't want to be getting in the way of lads with 5 times the BHP, no fun for anyone.

• 1 month later...

Mallory Park today with the MG lot, they all seem nice! Organising chap was very welcoming. Some good looking cars as well as some modern dross. They made me put a 'novice' sticker on the boot... 

Water pump is weeping and it just started to rain after being sunny all morning, so I left early. Managed to see off two MGB's, a Midget and one of those modern MG TF things. But there were a couple of hill-climber frog-eye Sprites that I couldn't keep up with, although I'm blaming traffic for that.

photos to follow when I get some decent wifi.

Pete

Some of the cars:

_20220630_150925.thumb.JPG.21801696aedec4f735e4c6978a013d73.JPG_20220630_150911.thumb.JPG.d402f9254e95b6d649d933c603387ae5.JPG

The ignomy of being a novice!

_20220630_150841.thumb.JPG.0c8b37bf3c547f52332a8cfa14aa48b6.JPG

This unfortunate man and his Midget had head gasket failure during the 2nd session. He'd just overtaken me and was pulling way ahead when it all went wrong. Shame because he was a nice bloke, and I'd like to have spent more time trying to work out why he was so much faster than me!

_20220701_091629.thumb.JPG.d140f1c6d1aafb1523129e5b85ea47f5.JPG

I think it's time for some new tyres soon.

_20220630_150825.thumb.JPG.9760ab9ebca781d91bc71ffab41237dd.JPG

4 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

The ignomy of being a novice!

Nothing wrong with being Norwegian….

4 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

and I'd like to have spent more time trying to work out why he was so much faster than me!

Too much compression apparently….

IIRC, Midgets are really rather light and the rear suspension at least has fewer homicidal urges that the Spitfire’s….. There’s an awful lot of tuning kit available for the A series too

3 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Too much compression apparently….

Good point! It was evidently tuned quite a bit and yeah they were all way quicker round the hairpin than I could manage without losing traction.

There was another Midget which was much more evenly matched with me, I had great fun getting a bit of a lead for half a lap, then getting reeled in by him for the next half. Meanwhile we both overtook the two 1800 MGB's, reinforcing my opinion (after owning one) that they are surprisingly slow in standard tune.

I'm now daydreaming about building track car...

6 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

IIRC, Midgets are really rather light and the rear suspension at least has fewer homicidal urges that the Spitfire’s….. There’s an awful lot of tuning kit available for the A series too

Early ones anyway are very light and stiff bodywise and easier to make quicker at a reasonable level of effort and cost.

Although I would contend that ultimately a thoroughly prepared Spitfire is a least as good. But then I would say that.

I always thought the early midget was a lot lighter than a mk3 Spit, with the additional weight of a separate chassis, but google shows 1972 midget at 1510lbs vs  Spit mk3 1570lbs, not sure how accurate those figures are, and 60lbs is a fair bit of extra weight, but thought it would be more. I know the midget has a solid back axle and two leaf springs, which must weigh a bit.