GT6 steerig column joint

Hi chaps, so the honeymoon period with the gt6 resto is finally over and now I'm just putting out a few minor issues that have developed over the past 2k miles.

The lower column joint is causing about an inch or so of play, super dangerous and obviously need replacing. However I'm seeing mixed reviews on a replacement so wanted to see what the general consensus is from those who have already been down this road.

-Theres the new style UJ that moss and rimmer sell

- Possibly putting new bushes in the old unit?

- Rumor has it that the tr6 one works well?

I've no issue with the UJ but have heard mixed reviews. Theres no point crimping on this as it's the only thing between me and a very nasty crash!

Jacob

the std replacements have a life expectancy measured in days. Avoid.

Chris Witor sells a set of poly bushes to rebuild the joint. Assuming you have one that will come apart. The bolts are a unique shouldered design, but it may be possible to replicate using a sleeve and std bolt/cap head. Once rebuit, the joints last very well. 

Witor also sells a good quality UJ from the T2000 range. Having had a cheaper version (paddocks or rimmers I suspect, but can't remember) where the play in et brand new joint was dreadful, I have been happy with the witor item. 

Yes, I have got a T shirt on this issue.

• Like 2

+1 for the Witor supplied T2000 UJ. Can run close to the turret on some cars as it’s a bit bulkier than the standard offering.

The poly bushes (Superflex from Witor) also work ok and retain a degree of cushioning. If you need a rebuild able original joint I may have one….

• Like 1

Hello Jacob

I have fitted one of these to my Vitesse not test yet but nicely made and a good fit on the spilines.

Chrome Steel Cylindrical Universal Joint 9/16" 36 Splines Ford Kit Car | eBay

Vitesse Steering coupling - Suspension, Handling, Tyres and Brakes - Sideways Technologies (sideways-technologies.co.uk)

Roger

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, Nick Jones said:

+1 for the Witor supplied T2000 UJ. Can run close to the turret on some cars as it’s a bit bulkier than the standard offering.

The poly bushes (Superflex from Witor) also work ok and retain a degree of cushioning. If you need a rebuild able original joint I may have one….

I think I'm going to go for both.. might sound silly but rebuild the joint and keep the UJ as a spare. I need to check my joint in the morning which type it is.. if its not raining! Gt6 has been somewhat neglected lately, sitting outside on the drive in the horrible weather :down:!.. definitely not another car in the garage:whistling:

What sort of torque figure would it need when replacing the bushes in the joint? Surely quite a large one! 

On 3/10/2022 at 5:37 PM, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Jacob

I have fitted one of these to my Vitesse not test yet but nicely made and a good fit on the spilines.

Chrome Steel Cylindrical Universal Joint 9/16" 36 Splines Ford Kit Car | eBay

Vitesse Steering coupling - Suspension, Handling, Tyres and Brakes - Sideways Technologies (sideways-technologies.co.uk)

Roger

I have to admit that is really nice! I am tempted but now torn which one to go for!

Jacob

8 hours ago, Speedysix said:

What sort of torque figure would it need when replacing the bushes in the joint? Surely quite a large one! 

Not really. I just nipped them up (the thread sare small diameter) used a dab of threadlock and centrepunched the thread to stop the bolts undoing. Very belt and braces.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

The older ones are drilled for wire-locking.

Yes, not idea when that stopped.

Some repro ones have the bolts heavily "stamped" at teh threaded end making them very tricky to get apart, while others just seem to be done up with nothing really securing them. Maybe some threadlock, it is good stuff. 

I still like punching the thread though, something reassuring about a mechanical fix. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zetecspit said:

I still like punching the thread though, something reassuring about a mechanical fix. 

Is this just centre punching the thread beyond the nut to deform the thread enough to stop the nut fully undoing rather than to lock it in place ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hamish said:

Is this just centre punching the thread beyond the nut to deform the thread enough to stop the nut fully undoing rather than to lock it in place ?

I punch into the joint between nut and bolt, seems to lock it OK but it won't withstand a good tug with a spanner, just means it won't undo by itself.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 6:01 AM, zetecspit said:

Not really. I just nipped them up (the thread sare small diameter) used a dab of threadlock and centrepunched the thread to stop the bolts undoing. Very belt and braces.

Ah ok, threadlock is definitely a must, sounds about right to me!

On 3/16/2022 at 7:58 AM, Nick Jones said:

The older ones are drilled for wire-locking.

20 hours ago, ed_h said:

Here's the joint from my '69 after some TLC.

Ed

DSC06977a.JPG

DSC00754a.JPG

I'm fairly sure I have this type, still have yet to check! Weather has been awful until today!