Bosch injectors

Hello All

With all this talk of injectors I was wondering whether to buy some spares as we are hoping to go to Spain this year and I like to have so spares I carry Throttle senor,coil pack,and all other sensors just a small pack the same as dizzy caps etc.

I could buy one for £20 or a set for £80?

The ones fitted have only done 20,000 miles and they were new when fitted so do I need to worry as modern cars do thousands of miles with no trouble!

Roger

Well,  when I first created Vitesse EFI I collected a number (3 or 4 4 cylinder sets) of Bosch yellow EV1 injectors from scrapped Peugeot 405, 309 and possibly 205.  They were used in other things as well, but dead Peugeots were especially abundant at the time.  Mileages unknown but considerable.

6 of them got chosen at semi random and bunged in.  They worked fine and continued to do so for about 60k miles, about which point I began to suspect that a couple of them were leaking.  They got swapped out for a set liberated from a 2.6 V6 Audi (an actual set!).

Since then, I've acquired an injection cleaner/tester and one of the things I did with it was to test the original 6 ex Peugeot injectors.  A couple of them did leak, but not much.  And after an ultrasonic clean and some flushing they are actually fine again.  No leaks, decent spray pattern and pretty well matched.  They've likely done around 200k.  I also found the others from the original liberation (another 10 in fact!) which have been languishing in a bag since 2005 or so, still wearing their original grime.  They too all work, though I did have to bang a few of them on a hard surface while applying power to unstick them.  I haven't been through all of them except to check that they click, but the 4 I tested actually work pretty well - and I haven't even cleaned them yet.  So they are tough.  These are the old style, metal bodied pintle type giving a single jet.  Whether the more modern plastic bodied, mult-jet ones ones are as tough, I'm not sure.  But I have recently cleaned a set from an Omega which I harvested several years back and they are all fine. They are now in the Vitesse.  I also tested a set from an Alfa 1.6, which were also fine, and those are in the Spitfire.  So I've not found a duff one yet.  These are all Bosch.  I have also cleaned and checked the V6 Audi set which are Siemens made (look very similar to Bosch EV).  These were initially quite miss-matched in flow but recovered after cleaning.

So, you probably don't need to worry.

Hello Nick

I will spend my money on something else then! (plus they are a common one so could probably get them when touring if needed?)

I was wondering if E10 would affect them then I thought that sort of fuel has been in other parts of the world for ages so I assume Bosch fits seals that can stand any crap fuel!

I thought I would look up flow rates for mine and differnt sites give different flows so I will stick with the 196cc I have been using for ages and try and do a bit more autotune in the spring now I run on E10 (the last few runs were on E10 and I think I tweek things a bit but I do notice areas where it is still a tad rich)

At the price of the liquid GOLD I will try and get my 45MPG a tad better before we go to Spain(I hope!)

Roger

4 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

At the price of the liquid GOLD

Quite. Going to have to map the Vitesse again now and hoping I can cut the fuelling down a bit at the lower rpm/load end now it has ITBs, as I’ve been having to run it fairly rich down there to quite keep it semi-sweet, meaning it’s not as economical as I would like when pottering about.

31 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello John

That should go down a treat with PC PLOD lets us know how you get on in court!

Rogert

I thought my defence could be along the lines that “it was more environmentally friendly not to run so rich in the potter mode so l was less polluting to the environment m’lord”:whistling:

May be not.

3 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

, including touring the congested cart tracks of this soggy island, and as it’s actually quite fast when I’m “on it”….. sometimes one has to potter…..

So your council is as good as ours at road repairs...........maybe deliberately so we all have to potter! More’s the shame but with Rogers policemen around maybe just as well.

Back to injectors.......what is best ;

to run slightly larger injectors from the Alfa t spark range, each of 176cc/min each producing 25.8bhp @ 80% but reduce the pressure

or smaller ones from a mk3 K11 Micra 159cc/min and 23.2bhp @ 80% but on full 3 bar pressure.

6 of the latter ones would total about 139bhp.......little hope of getting up to that from a lightly worked mk2 2l. There’s got to be a fair number of the rounded looking Micras around surely?

1 hour ago, John I said:

Back to injectors.......what is best ;

to run slightly larger injectors from the Alfa t spark range, each of 176cc/min each producing 25.8bhp @ 80% but reduce the pressure

or smaller ones from a mk3 K11 Micra 159cc/min and 23.2bhp @ 80% but on full 3 bar pressure.

6 of the latter ones would total about 139bhp.......little hope of getting up to that from a lightly worked mk2 2l. There’s got to be a fair number of the rounded looking Micras around surely?

Hello John

It may be just me but I would just buy a set of New MGF ones so one thing not worry about when setting it up

Spitty seems happy with them probably bigger than needed but not to big and cheap(just my two peneth) and available!

Roger