365 photos in 365 days (part deux)

I had always imagined - and seen pics, like below -  that parachute packing was formal, ritualised procedure, rtaher like laying out the tools for a surgical operation.  Not standing in a hallway, stuffing the thing into a bag!   You know best, Craig!  You have to rely on it!

Who packs the parachutes?

On 2/24/2022 at 1:18 AM, JohnD said:

I had always imagined - and seen pics, like below -  that parachute packing was formal, ritualised procedure, rtaher like laying out the tools for a surgical operation.  Not standing in a hallway, stuffing the thing into a bag!   You know best, Craig!  You have to rely on it!

If you watched those guys actually packing John, you'd find they'd go through a step exactly like I was, and lovely long carpeted hallway is much like a single strip on that packing mat.  As for tools, all that's required for a main parachute is a single strip of ribbon to help pull the container closed (a shoelace will work in a pinch if you've inadvertently landed in an unplanned paddock...). There's quite an art to "Stuffing the thing in the bag", and as I tell my student when they're struggling, "After the first few thousand it gets easy".

Packing reserve parachutes is much like you described though, and involves, manuals, checklists, database checks, multiple tools (which  must be counted and checked off), and a special licence.  Luckily I only have to do that to each of my rigs once a year!

Day 541420BEFC-9B44-4C63-AAA3-191B9D124048.jpeg

Been trying to bleed the rear brake in Big Red, but the cheap ass tube on the factory service kit keeps blowing off at the slightest pressure.  5 minutes later it did it again, spraying mineral oil all over my face and eyes.  That was enough for the day, I’ll build a decent tool.

18 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Loose another 5 and you’ll match me :tongue:

Racing snake build isn’t for everyone though.

Original (loose) plan was to get to 82 by my birthday in April.  Then ocd kicked in. I’ll be happy at about 78 I think.

5 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

thats impressive, is it just exercise or have you changed your diet as well?

Mike 

Cut out carbs, red wine, sugar, lollies and fast food.  I drank about 6 coffees a day through lockdown with 2 sugars in each, and got a meal a day from a drive through.  I’m surprised I’m not a lot fatter!  Current regime isn’t sustainable, but I’m hoping that I can maintain at about 78 or so if I keep exercising and keep the diet in moderation.

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

You are all putting me to shame. 
just as I guide i have done my BMI and it suggests I’m too short …………

Ha ha ha!

Day 56

7F3B37CE-5CAB-46D0-853D-FB7E9A4A7E8D.jpeg

Two hour drive home from the drop zone turned into 3 with roadworks.

Day 57

E1FA3735-247E-4179-AE29-46C4C73ED37A.jpeg

After 4 attempts over the last 2 weeks, I finally figured out that with 2 syringes, it really is possible to bleed Big Reds brakes properly.  Whohoo, out of the gym and back on the trails.

11 hours ago, Hamish said:

i have done my BMI and it suggests I’m too short …………

:lolu:There's a Garfield (the cat) quote "I'm not overweight..... I'm under-tall"

8 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

Original (loose) plan was to get to 82 by my birthday in April.  Then ocd kicked in. I’ll be happy at about 78 I think.

Sounds fair.  Maintaining is the real challenge I'm told.  What does J make of all this?  

7 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

After 4 attempts over the last 2 weeks, I finally figured out that with 2 syringes, it really is possible to bleed Big Reds brakes properly.

No bikes with hydraulic brakes in this house...... or even discs....... yet......  I can't wait :huh:

2 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Maintaining is the real challenge I'm told.

This. Trick I think is to try and do it without upturning your life and allowing yourself to keep eating some things you like.

For me it was as much trying to minimise risk of the diabetes my family is prone to as well as managing blood pressure. So I eat pretty much what I want including chocolate and cake treats (although I do try and avoid crisps) but only eating at mealtimes. So no snacking during the day and especially not in the evening.

Also heps I guess that I'm not much of a drinker.

I was naturally slim in my younger days but the side effect of the above has been to gradually get my weight down to not much more than when I was in my 20s. 

20210629_194140.jpg

If we're playing "I don't weigh as much as you" then I'm 103kgs, which gives me a BMI of 30.  Marginal stage 3 obesity.   No more, please the gods, no more!

1 hour ago, sparky_spit said:

73kg, BMI of 24ish, 65yrs :biggrin: Yes I know...I'm a smug git.

10 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Mine comes out at 22.5  at 76 1/2    Extra Smug Git

Roger

Leading the way there gents. Not bad for a couple of 'oldies' :thumbsup:

I'm only 61 so a bit to go but hopefully keep the sub-20 BMI for a while yet. Got to get up those hills with the youngsters and I'm putting off the e-bike for as long as possible :huh:

Regardless of individual BMI though I get the impression though that Sideways-ers keep as much interest in themselves as their cars. 76 years young is indeed to be applauded.