365 photos in 365 days (part deux)

21 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

BA (bloody awful) returning to the old days of “Breakfast in London, dinner in New York”, (baggage in Bangkok)….:down:

Back in the mad 90s that's what I would do. I would fly jumbos and occasionally Concorde, which was a real privilege. For two days I took only hand luggage in the form of an old family Globetrotter briefcase (very robust) with papers, laptop and phone.

il_1588xN.3128753667_2178.jpg.de9e20f24183dc33a0c5b202fc9101de.jpg

I took a spare shirt, underwear and socks and second tie in a clever pack called a Stuffed Shirt which also had small clip on wet bag. This also went in the briefcase. Brilliant bit of kit which I still have and use.

s-l500.jpg.82ecd0e1d236c866b856ff88bee455ad.jpg

On returning to Heathrow early morning, there were individual changing rooms and showers. They had a two way 'cupboard' in the door where you would hang your suit and while you were freshening up, it would be taken away and pressed ready for for the trip back to the office and a day at work.

That was when BA was excellent and my first choice for any airline journey. Then around the Millennium, passengers became 'the enemy' and my boycott started. As you can imagine I had millions of airmiles which were supposedly for life but somehow were cancelled. So depressing that such a great company rapidly became and remains second rate.

Miles

Yes….. right now in fact!

IIRC it is always between hot and very hot in Cairns…… and usually very humid with it.

Mind you…. I’ve just mended our indoor/outdoor thermometer. Indoor says 26.5C (this with house in “cooling tower” mode) and outdoor (in the shade) says 32.3C. This is not usual for Somerset. It’s nearer 40C in the garage, so I’m not in there!

Just come back from Yeovile…. Too bloody hot to be stuck in traffic in a convertible for absolutely sure!

Day 227407C4C33-FFE0-454B-B372-E8E7B6C63407.jpeg

I think of this persona as “Travel Craig”.  He’s quick, efficient, and takes no prisoners.  Headphones on to block out the world, hat to save on hairdos, bag packed, its time to get home to work.

(Mind you, with Senior Management currently visiting relatives in Mauritius, he’s just confirmed bookings on another adventure which did not go through the usual channels for approval …).

Day 228

C8E7EA61-D4A0-493C-A1BB-AC37D2D2B70E.jpeg

Unwanted souvenir from my trip to the sunny north.  I swear I spent less than an hour without sunscreen, but I go straight from neon white to red.  I can’t imagine how my Irish Convict forebears survived.  Putting these into shoes and socks for work pretty much sucks.

53 minutes ago, GT6MK3 said:

Day 228

C8E7EA61-D4A0-493C-A1BB-AC37D2D2B70E.jpeg

Unwanted souvenir from my trip to the sunny north.  I swear I spent less than an hour without sunscreen, but I go straight from neon white to red.  I can’t imagine how my Irish Convict forebears survived.  Putting these into shoes and socks for work pretty much sucks.

I can feel your pain. As someone who takes up advanced evangelical sun-worshipping every time I am onboard, and has as a result suffered the indignities of putting on a thick boilersuit and descended into the burning depths of a engine room, I feel your pain.

5 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

Unwanted souvenir from my trip to the sunny north.  I swear I spent less than an hour without sunscreen, but I go straight from neon white to red.

Ah…. Sunburned feet is the worst, especially if forced to wear civilised footwear :pinch:

I am also somewhat somewhat prone to UV burns, though decades of practice seems to have evolved substantially increased tolerance in regularly exposed areas. Think “farmer tan”. Bad things soon happen if “less experienced” areas are exposed….

5 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

which did not go through the usual channels for approval

:blink:

Night 233

C1829B62-4ED7-405D-89E0-CC33BD896D5D.jpeg

Patong’s infamous Bangala Road.  400 meters long, over 100 bars.  Walking through it to get to my hotel I was offered the opportunity to buy coke 5 times, passed 5 dope dispensaries, countless bar girls, a large group of bar “not girls”, and touts for everything from ping pong shows to invites to meet nice Russian girls. If there’s a way to make a quid out of perversion, vice, or drugs, you’ll find it on Bangala Road.