365 photos in 365 days (part deux)

It pretty much magic.  This time it was mounted on the other guys head, so a bit more distance to me.

Day 155

72A12108-C3E2-4C02-8E50-B507F24F084D.jpeg

After just 7 years as Chief Instructor, and 5 years at our new drop zone, I finally have an office with a bed and desk.

Feel like it some weeks.  It’s an hour forty five each way, so some nights it’s better to crash at the dz than on the way home.  7 years of chucking a mattress on the floor and not having an office of my own was enough.

Ah!   I found at the far end of a recent bike ride that my handlebar was loose on the stem, so much as to be unrideable, so I walked back into town and bought an Allen key set.     Nice day, nice walk, bit long, that if I had been wearing cleats would have been most uncomfortable.

But to man of your maintenance calibre, it won't hapen!

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

They’ve never actually caused me to fall off by failing to unclip in time, though there has been a couple of near-misses.

Used them for many years in MTB and road varieties. And yes I have come off as a consequence. Three 'special' times I can think of (not counting MTB incidents). Always in public.

Creeping up to the car waiting at a give way on a really steep bit of road. It moves off then slams on the brakes and yrs trly has no option but to topple as gracefully as possible to the ground.

Was taking every oppotunity to practice cyclocross mounts and dismounts prior to the CX race season. Jumped off in a busy George Square at the lights to run over the road to the station and miss-timed getting the second foot out. Momentum of the bike carried it over my head and me arse over apex. "All right there son?" says the fellow at who's feet I landed closest.

Bought a set of nice shiny new pedals. Fitted them and straight out for a ride. What I should have done was check the tension as they were set on max which I discovered the first time I tried to stop and couldn't get either of my feet out. Again subsided to the road and then had to take my shoes off before I could disentagle myself from the bike and clear the road for the car behind.

Character building - especially in Weegie :laugh:

19 hours ago, JohnD said:

Nice day, nice walk, bit long, that if I had been wearing cleats would have been most uncomfortable

If it is something you are considering, look up MTB shoes. These usually have the cleats "inset" on the sole allowing them to be useful as trainers. I use these with MTB and trike. 

Bizarrely, my next job is to remove the pedals Craig is putting on his bike of my trike! I have a set of "Power Grips" to go on, so I have options of cleats or normal shoes. Recumbent trikes require one or the other, riding without ensures running over your own leg at some point.........

1 hour ago, thebrookster said:

Recumbent trikes require one or the other, riding without ensures running over your own leg at some point.........

:o

1 hour ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

You have a recumbent Phil? Brilliant. Need to post photos :biggrin:

New thread needed so as not to detail this one!

2 hours ago, thebrookster said:

If it is something you are considering, look up MTB shoes. These usually have the cleats "inset" on the sole allowing them to be useful as trainers. I use these with MTB and trike. 

Bizarrely, my next job is to remove the pedals Craig is putting on his bike of my trike! I have a set of "Power Grips" to go on, so I have options of cleats or normal shoes. Recumbent trikes require one or the other, riding without ensures running over your own leg at some point.........

The shoes I went with are designed that way, I specifically searched them out so I can get up the concrete stairs at work in the wet.  Still should be fun to do though.  The pedals are actually cleats on one side and flats on the other(with screw in spikes).  It’s a hybrid, and I want to be able to be able to ride it with or without cleats.

Day 157

The car park at work in the city is a shiny concrete floor, with an tight left to enter off a lane way, then a very tight, uphill right, over a hump, surrounded by concrete walls, pillars, stairs, and very very expensive, tightly (and often badly) parked machinery.

Today with wet roads and mud from construction on the lane outside, the ridiculous licorice strips masquerading as tires on the Merc needed 5 attempts and a seriously potentially expensive bit of power drifting to get through the challenge.

8A92B8BF-BE70-4721-BCA0-C4086E8C47B8.jpeg

Yokohamas at well over $500 per corner, so that’s about $20 right there.

On 6/7/2022 at 10:14 AM, Escadrille Ecosse said:

You have a recumbent Phil? Brilliant. Need to post photos :biggrin:

On 6/7/2022 at 11:14 AM, Nick Jones said:

:o

New thread needed so as not to derail this one!

Duly noted guys. Maybe a wee while before I action however, not long joined ship and currently loading in Algeria! Might even be some photos of a Panama transit to come as well on that front :blush:

Edited by thebrookster

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Sounds like a holiday of sorts :smile:

Good as I’ll get for a while.

Day 160

6783698E-431B-4D4F-865B-CF85452A3E7A.jpeg

It’s dark and stormy outside, but the DZ is closed due wx tomorrow, so this is my first Friday night in a while without the responsibility of being clear eyed to drive and dive early Saturday.  Time for a quiet red, an a bit of footy on tv.

I wouldn’t know…

headed out the door for a quick pedal with no real plan in mind.

33FEA9A3-77B7-4589-8198-7771BF10BE5B.jpeg

Ended up linking 5 bike paths, some main roads, a couple of dirt paths and an unrideable goat track together into a 52km odyssey around Melbourne’s inner east.  Pleasantly surprised to discover my legs had it in them, especially as every bloody suburb near home seems to have the word “Hills” in its name.