365 photos in 365 days (part deux)

It's the finest home communication system 1984 had to offer.  In a house so small you can hear anyone from any room anyway, it has an intercom into every room, a doorbell to every room, and an AM/AF pushbutton radio...

"Wake me up, before you go go..."

• Like 1

The doorbell works except when it’s important, the radio works, but mustn’t be used or else it spontaneously bursts into life hours or days later, usually late at night.

Day 153

7016D0EA-4B7E-458D-8023-862D019EF9C2.jpeg

It followed me home from work.

• Like 1

1984?

This was the height of in-house communications technology, in 1902.    It still all works, and my grandkids think it's hilarious to ring them all!

Strange thing is that when it was installed, there was no mains electricity!    It runs off a transformer now, and I don't dare go anywhere near it.

image.thumb.png.ca357fb08cfa9ed58cb351472821a19a.png

It's a fun movie.  No real plot, no charachter development, and you know the end before you walk in.  I thoroughly recommend it though!

Day 155

Walked out of home to ride to work, and it rained on me.  So I went back inside, got changed and made a command decision that work could wait.  Took my fitter self off to the indoor skydiving tunnel and enjoyed myself instead working on my back flying.

source01-capts733673_Moment4.jpg

It defiantly beat working!  

• Like 1

Never too old to learn new tricks.

Day 156

F454A3C1-F1A4-4F3C-AF1C-16CCA95B8476.jpeg
360 degree camera mounted onto my spare full face helmet, ready to act as a lie detector during the debriefs from this weekend's dives with budding instructor candidates.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GT6MK3 said:

Lucky I had a trainee instructor there to help out

:blink:

That is some weird effect where your on-helmet camera appears to be above it….. quite a lot above it……

unless my little monkey brain has failed to work out what’s really going on….,

1 hour ago, GT6MK3 said:

Day 157

image.jpeg

Instructor course, and I "forgot" to open my parachute.  Lucky I had a trainee instructor there to help out. 

A training scenario “forgetting”

but the student instructor thinks. 
hmmm he’s leaving it late …. But he knows more than me !! Best not do anything to interfere with the boss !!!!

On 5/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, GT6MK3 said:

Never too old to learn new tricks.

Day 156

F454A3C1-F1A4-4F3C-AF1C-16CCA95B8476.jpeg
360 degree camera mounted onto my spare full face helmet, ready to act as a lie detector during the debriefs from this weekend's dives with budding instructor candidates.

Interesting!

I wanted to do similar with a camera on my helmet, to give a driver's eye view when racing, and to see where I was looking in corners (self-training!).   But MotorsportUK and FIA have an absolute ban on helmet-attached cameras, that recent clips from cameras mounted INSIDE the helmets of F1 drivers seem to scoff at. 

The point is that a camera-on-helmet would catch and wrench your neck in a incident, while the camera-in-helmet won't.

I suggested attaching the outside camera with Velcro, so that it would rip off in that situation, but that was also unacceptable.  How is yours attached, Craig?

This ones got a custom 3d printed low snagpoint mount John, which is bolted to the helmet with a couple of m4 machine screws.  Most skydiving helmets aren't certified.  The impacts we're protecting against are things like bumping your head on the door on exit, or copping a foot in the jaw on a high speed rotation (One of those knocked me out in freefall once sans helmet...).  If you need an impact rated helmet to help you in a collision with the big round thing, you've generally got major structural integrity issues to deal with already.

Day 156.  

Snapshot_202205150_030500 (1).jpg

It's chilly up there.

6 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

If you need an impact rated helmet to help you in a collision with the big round thing, you've generally got major structural integrity issues to deal with already.

COL! (Chuckle out loud!)

John

7 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

in a collision with the big round thing, you've generally got major structural integrity issues to deal with already.

Indeed…… in Southern Africa this is sometimes known as the “Bushman painting effect” in which one suddenly becomes 2 dimensional, red and somewhat blurred at the edges. :blink:

A hazard for those zip-wiring in gorges who don’t brake hard enough and hit the wall.

Those who brake too hard and are left dangling, become living vulture food.

The target is to hit the wall just hard enough for mild bruising.

The “bushman painting effect” has also made an appearance in local cycling terminology (fortunately only as a (very) near miss) when the house cyclist was faced with the white van that had just overtaken him now suddenly stationary and waiting to turn right at the bottom of a long and narrow hill….. with a closing speed in the upper 40s. Turned out the gap on the left was just big enough, though the hedge left some marks…. His comment “I thought I was a bushman painting that time” had to be explained to his following mates….

Ha ha ha.  I may need to co-opt “bushman painting” for the next time someone has a close call/

Day 151, last day of Autumn

37A122F2-E92E-4177-8531-7BCEB98F41DC.jpeg

7 days of rain forecast, starting at 11am today.  Up early for 15kms on the bike before work.  5 degrees C.  Not looking forward to winter.

Day 154

425D05B2-8416-47F6-AD61-1F18DE3DC677.jpeg

The kids at the drop zone organized a gocarting night with a practice, quali, and an hour long race.  A few of them are quicker than me on a empty track, but old age and treachery rule when there’s traffic around…