365 photos in 365 days (part deux)

44 minutes ago, Hamish said:

There is a man that takes long strides (and I don’t mean trousers) and walks in his heels .

Ha ha.  Short steps are for the meek.  Go boldly, or not at all.

My gait is pretty weird, I wear out the heels of all my shoes. 

Funny story -  Last week while we were walking up to the same cafe, SM noticed that I (un)naturally adjust my gait so I never step on the lines or cracks in the footpath (Yep - I'm that far on the spectrum...).  20+ years and she'd never noticed, and I've done it since I was a kid, so it's completely unnoticeable to me.  She's now taken to walking behind me to observe the phenomenon.  Apparently I'm "weird".

48 minutes ago, GT6MK3 said:

Apparently I'm "weird".

The ladies appear to like to think their menfolk are weird….. Apparently I have many peculiarities….. :blink: 

After 30+ years she ought to be used to me by now!  We both agree the “kids” are weird though and presumably we’re to blame!

Hopefully all this exercise is having the desired effect and not just wearing out your heels??! 

A mate has jumped through all the paperwork hoops to get a permit to jump into a couple of the parks in the CBD.  No mean task, but then  you need clearance from Air Traffic Control to  squeeze in between jets on approach to Tullamarine, Melbourne’s international airport,  in a window when the wind and cloud are favorable.   All tricky to line up, as well as finding qualified jumpers, and an available jump plane.

Fun thing about this jump was that the GPS went U/S just after takeoff, so as loadmaster I had to use old school done in the head maths to calculate exit point according to the winds aloft, and rely on the Mk1 eyeball and 30+ years of looking out doors to judge the run in to that point.  

As for the sneaky?  When I got home SM said “How was work today?  Before you answer, I saw on Facebook that you went jumping…”. Dho.  ;-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

He wouldn’t be that close if it were still working……:blink:

Mrs Trimble didn’t raise a stoopid son.

Poor little bugger lost a race across the road to a 4wd 100 yards ahead of me, then the next 4wd swerved round him and Sideways nearly needed a new nerd.  So I used a very long stick to move him off the road.

Grandpa Trimble taught me that no matter how dead they may seem, assume they’re still alive till sundown.  Sage advice from a wise man.

I reckon I’ve seen less than 25 live snakes in the wild in 56 years, and that includes probably 15 in the 7 years I went to high school in the middle of a forrest.  I’ve only ever seen one that made me jump, and that was a monstrous red belly black snake that a mate and I stumbled across as teenagers hiking up a rocky track high on a mountain.  It was basking on a rock in the sun in the middle of the path, we were in its territory, it raised its head and let us know if displeasure in no uncertain terms, and we detoured wide around it.

The whole “everything will kill you” myth is completely overblown.  In 56 years, exactly no one I know has died from a snake or spider bite.  I don’t know anyone who’s been bitten by a snake, and I haven’t met anyone who’s advertised knowing one..  I know one person who’s had a bad spider bite, but it wasn’t from one of the usual suspect spiders, but something quite exotic back in the 90’s  I do know someone who got shot in the thigh, but that was on a farm, and he and is brother are idiots with no respect for firearms.

The rule back at school was that if you see a snake, don’t disturb it, walk quietly, calmly, and quickly away.  Works well.

Scary Australia is a lot less scary that a soccer crowd, similarly you just need to not be a dickhead.

• Like 1

In my three years in Australia during the early 80’s the most dangerous breathing thing I came across was “refreshed” :beerhat:Aussie rugby players who objected to us pomes chatting up any half decent looking girl that they thought should be theirs.

Thankfully we had guardians onboard in the form of six NSW waterfront police. :ninja: They were about as forgiving as a pair of 4x4s, kinda of felt sorry for the rugby guys if they got too out of line.

Oz is the Lucky Country in Vit D terms.     Except for the south coast of Victoria and Tasmania, it's ALL north of 37 degrees south, above which latitude humans should get enough sunshine to supply their own needs.   In contrast, ALL of Europe, save the south of Spain is North of 37 North, and we almost never get enough, without fish, meat and eggs in our diet.   Or pills.

Oz is better still re UVB because of the 15 deg tilt of  earth's axis wrt sun. 37deg latitude in northern hemisphere gets same angle of sun as 37+7.5 = 44 south. However our ancestors in sub-Saharan Africa got much better sun, year-round. So its pills for me, year round,I haven't evolved to live in Wales.

Not sure if the OZone hole messes with careful sunbathing....