365 photos in 365 days (part deux)

22 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I have a red Giant too….. :tongue:
This one is quite little and only weighs about 9kg…… It’s a nice thing.  The advantage of sharing a house with a cycling nutter is that sometimes the discards trickle down.

Light weight, skinny wheels, that's almost cheating (nice though!).

Day Fourteen

IMG_2029.JPEG

Made the mistake of thinking it would be an ides to see if I was fit enough to ride to my high powered city clients legal offices.  I turned up there once wearing civvies, and apologized to the power suit wearing boss for my attire.  He said that he didn't care if I wore speedos or a tutu, as long as I keep his network running.  Today he got a sweaty, dehydrated, puffed version of IT support, and, true to his word, didn't bat an eyelid.

(I'm aware of the cycling heavy bent this thread has taken. Surely I'll do something interesting eventually.)

Daughter has a Peleton.      This is a static exercise bike, with sensors and a screen built into the handle bars, and an Internet connection.  It lets you cycle with friends or others, race, tour countryside anywhere in the world, all virtually by the power of your legs and and the digital metaworld!

Sure, it's not the real thing, but when you have small kids or British weather, it lets you 'get out on the bike' and keep fit!

Me, I potter about on mine.  It was hers, left behind when she went to Uni.   I've told her I owe her a bike, but I'm glad she didn't call in the debt when she bought the Peleton!     It has three chainwheels (!) but I never use the lowest one, as my legs won't go round fast enough!   Even on the middle one, the lowest ratio on the wheel gears can climb almost anything if I have the energy.

JOhn

6 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

Light weight, skinny wheels, that's almost cheating

Yah man, not even almost :biggrin:….. But I need all the help I can get to keep up with SM….

My winter bike weighs almost twice as much, but it doesn’t have knobbly tyres… that’s just masochistic on the street….

The house cyclist is (perhaps surprisingly) in favour of e-bikes. Mainly because he thinks they get people out who otherwise wouldn’t be interested. He has a smart turbo-trainer; think of it as an internet-connected rolling road (more hub-dyno actually) for bikes. He uses Zwift. His GF made the final of the Zwift ladies world championships last year.

12 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Fit an electric motor?

12 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

Wouldn’t help me to get fit.

You might be surprised! I have spoken to more than a few guys about these electric motors and the overall consensus is that they actually help most guys! Reasoning being along the lines of it allows you to continue pedalling efficiently in situations where you would normally be struggling/pushing. Particularly as the "good" e-motors adapt to load by themselves.

I can't personally attest to this, having never used an e-bike, but the weight of evidence presented means I might not dismiss the idea totally out of hand now!

stuck a Swytch electric conversion kit on my old bike that I have had for >25 years. Dug it out of the shed and ended up replacing forks, gear set, seat, wheels tyres etc.... At least the frame is original...
Re E bike really good fun and yes you tend to ride further and faster with the electric assist. Head wind is no longer a killer... Really like it, you are limited to 250watt and 15mph in the uk but that limit can be tweaked. See lots of home built E bikes around Cambridge some with very big motors (1kW), seems to be an active modding scene.....
I read of a study in Holland suggested that people with E bikes actually ride further than with normal bikes.

Mike

Day Sixteen

57B979A5-DCFA-4044-A97D-7CB7B5607C53.jpeg

Chief Instructor mode.  10.5 hours into a 12.5 hour day, with a 2 hour commute either side of that.

I’m trying (and failing) to look mad at a naughty skydiver who just entertained me by trying to land in a spot he shouldn’t have, then bailing out at the last minute when he realized his ego was ahead of his ability.

Jeeze, my poor old “Woo Girl” hat gets no love.  I bought that on the way to the day 2 of the 2010 Boxing Day test at the MCG when I realized our seats were going to be in the sun all day. I specifically chose it because I knew my best mate would hate it, and 11 years on, it’s finally falling apart.  It’s awfulness is just awesome.

Day Seventeen

75B4A69B-CD1C-4830-9094-3EA5DF75F833.jpeg

Depressing view.  Back in harness.

No pain…… no gain……:blink:

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger…..:tongue:

Hopefully those responsible for coining those phrases are already roasting in hell!

Dangerous thing ambition!

Edit: time go and scrape the ice off the Sootmonster (again). At least I’m not going to an abattoir today!

30 minutes ago, Hamish said:

yeah why ?

all you will see is confirmation that you just jumped from a perfectly good aeroplane as it flies away

:ninja:

And the bloke who jumped out after you, (who’s also flying on his back) hurtling towards you.           No rear view mirror :teehee::ninja:

52 minutes ago, Hamish said:

yeah why ?

all you will see is confirmation that you just jumped from a perfectly good aeroplane as it flies away

Clearly Hamish, you've not been in a typical Jump plane LOL.  They are often junkers with student pilots trying to get hours.  We had to deplane one time when someone came out of the hangar telling the pilot the one was out of fuel. :-))

21 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

looks fun but why fly on your back?

Mike

Why not?  WhenI started skydiving, flying belly to earth was all we did.  With the advent of skysurf, suddenly vertical and 360 degree flight became popular.  I was one of the early skysurfers in Aus, but I gave it up when one of my students took it up and showed real promise.  I became his cameraflier, and he and I won a few Aussie Championships, and went to a couple of World Champs.  I was still a bellyflyer though, and still am.  With the advent and proliferation of wind tunnels, 360 degree flight has come on leaps and bounds, and it's a new and interesting challenge, especially for and old jumper like me.

21 hours ago, Hamish said:

yeah why ?

Explaining just how much fun the freedom of skydiving is to non jumpers is kinda like explaining how much fun sex is to a virgin...

20 hours ago, GT6Steve said:

Clearly Hamish, you've not been in a typical Jump plane LOL.  They are often junkers with student pilots trying to get hours.  We had to deplane one time when someone came out of the hangar telling the pilot the one was out of fuel. :-))

You'd be amazed by the changes if you headed out to a DZ these days Steve.  I started out 30+ years ago in rattletrap Cessna 182's, but these days the planes are awesome.  Our clubs plane was built especially for skydiving, purchased new, carries 8 plus pilot, and is certified for both charter use and IFR flight.  It's gorgeous.