365 photos in 365 days (part deux)

Watching the cricket.   Woe, woe, and thrice, Woe!

1175314493_Woewoeandthricewoe!.jpg.491360742493bbaaadfdbf24eb87c2fe.jpg

I rode just three miles to a Vax Clinic yesterday.     Despite being well wrapped, my fingers were so sold that I couldn't hold a syringe for twenty minutes!

Edited by JohnD

Sydney pitch isn't what it once was on day 5.  I think there's a pretty good chance it'll be rain delayed, then a sodden ball won't help the bowlers.  Yoiu'll have to try hard to lose.

<rant>Popular sentiment around town(including this house) is that the unvaccinated Serb can fuck right off.  Unfortunately, I suspect he'll get an injunction on Monday, based on (a) the confusion of the paperwork between the Federal and State departments handling everything, and (b) the fact the case is in the Federal Court, and Federal judges have a habit of sticking there noses into government policy to make a point about the power of the judiciary.  Novax is currently in a shitty hotel thats been co-opted for use as an immigration detainee holding site, and has a pretty bad rep.  He wouldn't put up with that unless he had a good case.  I suspect the fed court will decide on Monday that the case will take days and need a month of preparation, then he'll be bailed into the community, play his tournament angry and proud, win, bugger off home, and let the legals have the fight in his absence.  But I'm just a realist.  I bloody hope he loses and is booted on Monday.  We're on the cusp of the Omicron wave here, the high level of  vaccination is whats stopping our hospital system from being overrun, and the mathematician in me knows it's all about to get pretty bad.  The last thing we need is some rich fuckwit who's good at running around and hitting fuzzy yellow balls having a platform to spout anti science views.,</rant> 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hamish said:

More and more news is appearing here that he was at functions AFTER his claimed pos test. 
cake and eating it comes to mind. 
I hope  he is sent home

http://news.sky.com/story/novak-djokovic-pictured-with-young-players-the-day-after-lawyers-say-he-tested-positive-for-covid-12511669

There seems to be a strong element of anti-vaxxer across the Slavic (and Eastern European) countries apparently. We are seeing this onboard, with a marked reduction in Manning from these countries since my company implemented a "vaccinated" policy from Nov '21.

Day Ten

253C57EC-A45F-4983-B93C-95F86548B123.jpeg

Major client made a sudden omicron-wave based decision to send all the staff bar a few of us poor IT and admin schlubs back into WFH mode.  So it was rush into the office and pivot to staff offside mode, again, and I’m now running 60 networks instead of one for a month. Again. 

Upside is that I no longer need to care about my sartorial splendor, so sandals and shorts remain as uniform of the day.  Also in shot, this weeks survival kit.

On 1/8/2022 at 1:56 PM, GT6MK3 said:

We're on the cusp of the Omicron wave here, the high level of  vaccination is whats stopping our hospital system from being overrun, and the mathematician in me knows it's all about to get pretty bad.  The last thing we need is some rich fuckwit who's good at running around and hitting fuzzy yellow balls having a platform to spout anti science views

While the tennisplayer is a prick, and I hope he will be chucked out faster than you can say django reinhardt, I am not entirely sure that the matematician in you should be quite as worried.

In Denmark we have had record high numbers of omicron cases, and it appears the hospitals are not being overrun. This is partly due to the high vaccination rate in Denmark, but possibly also as omicron takes a milder course. 

So let us hope this insanity is soon over, and we can return to our normal lives. Meanwhile - let us comply with the rules however arbitrary they are, and if some superrich sportsstar cannot comply, simply just return them to where they came from. 

Best wishes

Nick

14 minutes ago, Nick B. said:

While the tennisplayer is a prick, and I hope he will be chucked out faster than you can say django reinhardt, I am not entirely sure that the matematician in you should be quite as worried.

In Denmark we have had record high numbers of omicron cases, and it appears the hospitals are not being overrun. This is partly due to the high vaccination rate in Denmark, but possibly also as omicron takes a milder course. 

So let us hope this insanity is soon over, and we can return to our normal lives. Meanwhile - let us comply with the rules however arbitrary they are, and if some superrich sportsstar cannot comply, simply just return them to where they came from. 

Best wishes

Nick

I think a lot of top sportsmn have personality issues. Nature of the beast.

And the whole problem (I suspect) is down to the tournament rganisers wanting all the top players there, fudging exemptions and then the govt wading in and it all going very wrong. If the medical exemption had never been issued (and it seems it shouldn't) there would have been no problem. 

But back on point. Is Craig going to be adopting his new pose permanently? And I reckon the 2 bottles won't last a week......maybe more out of shot.

Let me address these in order.

Timtams - despite spending 2 hours each day turning pedals on Trusty-Rusty, I came home from Bright just under 2 kilos heavier than when I left home.  May have had something to do with the constant grazing, and the liquid component of the late night diet.  Timtams ingestion is to be moderated for a short period.

Omicron- while we suffered lockdowns, we were well supported by governments, and supply lines remained ok.  Current estimates are that up to one in twenty five are currently infected, and as a result, hospitals are getting crunched.  The federal government’s initial stroll out of vaccines meant that we’re not well prepared for ramping up for the current roll out of vaccines to kids, or of boosters to adults.  When you combine that with the criminal lack of foresight from the feds in not ensuring we have sufficient supplies of RAT’s (see below), the phone line to Drs, pharmacies and vaccine providers are all over  run with people looking for vaccination or RATs.  The flow on of people not being able to contact medical advice is that the Ambulance service is being overwhelmed with non emergency calls.  
With no RATs , essential supply workers are getting knocked out of the workforce because that have to isolate for days if they have to wait for a PCR test.  The queues for these tests are swamped, and with so mane positive samples, the testers can’t batch them up like they used to.  As a result, wait times are out to 3-5 days for results, after spending all day in a queue to get the test.

It’s not dire, but it will get uglier before it gets better.  About 1/2 the restaurants are closed because they can’t get staff.  Supermarkets have sold out of some lines and can’t keep up supply (things like fresh chicken, breads, and milk are examples).  

Why are there no RATs?  Utter governmental failure.  They were only approved for use/sale in November, and the feds utterly failed to foresee the PCR testing system being overrun.  Not only have they not provided them free, they haven’t made sure they’re available.  We’re promised we’ll have them in stores in a week or two, but the wave is building to a crest while we have none.  Pharmacists can’t get them to sell.  Our Prime Minister had the gall to come out in the press last week and say that the reason they hadn’t stocked them and supplied them free was so as not to harm the free market companies that had invested in supplying them.  Almost everyone has none.  That stack on my seat is now in the mail to the rest of my family, I managed to score the last 20 Amazon had in Australia at not much under $20 a test,  and have spread em around.  

Meanwhile our much vaunted Border Force officials have turned into Border Farce.  There’s a lot of questions to be asked still, but I think it’s interesting to read that Novax never says he had Covid in December, he only ever states that he “tested posative”.  Then he swanned round Europe on the days after. Pretty convenient test for him.  Could still be a bit to play out, but it’s one rule for the rich etc etc, and it’s distracting the press nicely from the Govts RAT failures.

Still rocking the sandals, one of the partners at work has seriously pissed me off, and I’m turning up in civvies in protest.

Day Eleven

7AE9F78B-5CE2-48C6-9DFA-EE928E814656.jpeg

Convinced Senior Management we should ride down to the local cafe strip and find one that’s open for dinner. (I’m aware I look like a skeezy old man chasing a schoolgirl!).

Could be the end for Trusty-Rusty.  After 20+ years of no maintenance and living in the open, I’ve killed a bearing in a pedal.

10 minutes ago, GT6MK3 said:

Utter governmental failure.

There goes another of the Boil’s “world-beating” claims. Can’t even be first in fuck-ups…..

14 minutes ago, GT6MK3 said:

Still rocking the sandals, one of the partners at work has seriously pissed me off, and I’m turning up in civvies in protest.

:blink: interesting…….

8 minutes ago, GT6MK3 said:

I’m aware I look like a skeezy old man chasing a schoolgirl!

Ouch….. :pinch: maybe loose the face fur…. That’ll take 20 years off you….

10 minutes ago, GT6MK3 said:

Could be the end for Trusty-Rusty.  After 20+ years of no maintenance and living in the open, I’ve killed a bearing in a pedal.

It is possible to buy pedals separately… though possibly the pedal will not be separated from the bike after all this time. Might be easier to just trade it in to a less hard-used example at your local tip/recycling centre.

Or there’s the “full resto” option :tongue:

I always wear at least double pluggers when I ride.  What could go wrong?  (Note: I could have said thongs, but that would be even more confusing).

Day Thirteen

571F3103-46E8-4DD4-A9CA-CB57DE5BC1FB.jpeg

Zen and the art of bicycle maintenance.  I got Big Red cheap because it needed a new chainring set.

19 hours ago, Hamish said:

Giant Red surely

Gotta understate things here in Aus.