New offences for tampering with a system, part or component of a vehicle

The DfT have published some proposals on new regulations for vehicles, which includes controls on modifications (they call it tampering):

"We will create new offences for tampering with a system, part or component of a vehicle intended or adapted to be used on a road." 

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards#questions

I expect it is only meant to apply to new autonomous vehicle systems but the wording looks very lax and you have to wonder how wide the effect wouid be if implemented.

It doesn't say all that much specifically about "tampering", or am I missing something?

I can see it from both sides - really hate the idea of driver assist or even autonomous vehicle guidance systems being "tweaked" by those who shouldn't and you could certainly also argue that some of the EV systems need controlling for safety.  Emissions controls - yes, that too.

However, government heavy-handed "banning" everything and putting manufacturers in an unbreakable position doesn't appeal either.

I'm very cynical about government "consultations" but I'll go through it and respond.  Thanks for bringing it up.

• Like 1

Think it's intentional they don't go into specifics, but reading the first sentence, "We will create new offences for tampering with a system, part or component of a vehicle intended or adapted to be used on a road", to me reads as you won't be able to modify, change or upgrade anything.  Knowone would argue that driverless cars need strict control, and certainly not modified or played around with at home on the drive, but as far as I can see they are not just talking about this being applicable to new vehicles and technologies. 

sorry can't change the type size?

Edited by Mark