2.5L autobox questions

JohnD

I have this engine with the Borg-Warner autobox behind it.    I don't want the box!    Box itself off easily, torque converter with more difficulty, access to the mere four bolts is obscure and awkward.   Now I face the flywheel - and it's weird!

Very flexible, it won't stand a puller, I'm sure but even without the usual four big bolts, it's stuck to the back of the crankshaft.

Advice please, about getting it off?    And is the back of the crank different for an autobox?

Thanks, John

Crank is the same. Does it have a central spigot sticking out (to engage with/support the input shaft)?

If so, this is pressed into the hole in the back of the crank where the spigot bearing normally sits and it’s probably got a shoulder on it that his holding the backplate.  If you look up the centre of it I think you’ll see a tapped hole so you can put a long bolt in there to press it back out.

Not done this on a six before but this is how it on a Sprint.

Does your auto box have a removable bell housing? 

Yes, it does, Nick.  Does that mean something?

Just had a look down the hole on the flywheel, and yes!  I can see threads in a small hole at the base of the much larger bore for the spigot on the TC.   I'll try that, thanks!

John

Yes, it's 5/16 UNF and about an inch deep.  Good anchorage, but how to use it to pull the flywheel off?  It just seems to bottom in the hole, I'm loathe to put a lot of wellie onto it.

And, it occurs to me that there isn't such a bore in the back of a crank that has a normal box.  I need to get this flywheel off and see the bunny!

It sounds like the method used to pull off the flywheel on a 45yr old Honda 125 Trials engine. Basically, you screw in the correct threaded "puller" and keep going until, at some unknown enormous torque figure, it finally goes bang and flies off across the workshop, missing your groin area by a few millimetres.

Ok, I can see that if the thread is in the flywheel, and the small bolt bottoms in the back of the crank, then screwing it in will push the flywheel off.

Currently looks like this, I'll try it tomorrow, because now I'm indoors, G&T in hand, waiting for the Turkish GP to start!  Go, Lewis!  And go, George and Lando!

FB_IMG_1633887267084.jpg

As said earlier, the spigot in the middle is a separate part and pressed into the hole in the back of the crank that takes the pilot bush on a manual car. It’s a shouldered spigot which is why it holds the flex plate on.

Use a decent quality bolt and grease the threads and the end.

Confession time….. I managed to get the one off my Sprint without using the jacking bolt as it was grubby in there and I completely failed to spot the hole. It was hard, took ages (like days) and made me swear a lot, especially when it eventually came out and I saw the tapped hole!! :mad:

Nick, you are the man!    I asked elsewhere, and got lots of advice, from "hit it, hard" to "weld a slide hammer onto it"!!

But a bolt screwed in, and it just slid off!   Easily!   BUT!   The recess in the crank is so deep that a bolt with 45mm of thread (nearly 2", for the unmetricated) is needed!   And the recess in the hub of the flywheel is already 35mm deep(more than an inch!).   Luckily, I had some long 5/16 bolts, and could cut extra thread on one.    Some copper ease and as said, it just slides off, nice and easy. 

Here it is as it came off, showing the extent of the bolt.

John

16339668671892830197517285118799.jpg

I think they all do, Michael.   

The 35 was a unit fitted to many models, of many marques, and each had its own seperate bell.   Unlike the monolithic, nay boulder-like,  manual 'box Triumph fitted to the 2.5's!

John

Edited by JohnD

• 2 weeks later...

Hello John, We are talking about two different g/boxes. It's a long winded confusing story. The motor that I had in is a Mk2 2500 PI (which had an auto box which DIDN'T go in with the motor) but I fitted a (according to the serial No.)  manual/ j type o.d. g/box from a 2500 TC/S sedan, which I have just re-fitted behind the original rebuilt motor. Now I am getting confused! Regards, Michael.