Vitesse power steering

Hello All

I am thinking of fitting power steering to the Vitesse as  WHEN I have finished it the Memsahib would like to drive it and she is used to the Yeti!

I know I could trawl scrap yards and find bits! but I have enough things to do already.

Plus seeing as all the dashboard is out I thoght this would be a good time if I am going to do it?

This is the kit I like the price of!

micro motor electric power steering system self build easysteer kit controllers | eBay

I will ask the man what the cost would be for an automatic reducing as speed increases.

What does the collective brain think and has anybody on here done it ?

Roger

ps be gentle with me!

I have no objection to these in principle.

That kit would be great value if it were a bolt-in kit for a Vitesse (or other small chassis car) but it isn’t. Not sure how much of it you could actually use. Suggest asking them if they’ve actually done a small chassis Triumph.  Also looks like it might be quite hard to keep the original steering wheel and switchgear?

Others have used MGF or Corsa (C?) with external controller.

I think there have been a couple of dolomites fitted with easysteer. By the company. And cost was about £800 all in. 

But yes, really it needs a speed controller fitted, even something as crude as on at under 10mph would be better than a manual switch.

Nice idea, how much power does it give you? With a modern you can sit there and turn the wheels without the car moving, that's ok if the steering components/joints have been designed for it but I wonder if Triumph components are strong enough? 
Of cause the answer is not to turn the wheel when the car isn't moving...
the other addition needed is a reversing radar, so used to our other cars beeping when reversing sometime I forget when I get in the Herald!

Mike

MIke,

The kit wil be from a modern.      The support comes from the electric motor, acting on the steering column, so it's acting on the system in exactly the same way as turning the wheel.   If "are Triumph components strong enough" worries you, maybe you shouldn't drive a Triumph!

Perhaps Ollie Bear can post here?

John

Mike’s point is that downstream of the pas device you will be putting more force on all components, lower column, rack, tie rods, ball joints etc, no longer limited by the strength of your arms and shoulders. Provided it’s no more than would be imposed by a strong man with the big factory wheel, it should be ok (though wear might be accelerated), but depending on how much power is available you might exceed that.

Big saloons with PAS have beefier track rod ends than non-pas for example.

Keep the assistance moderate and it’ll be fine. Doesn’t need that much anyway.

Hello All

Thanks for the input and I think Nick is right it is only a kit of parts to be modified!

So I have almost decided to get a one of these.

1 x Renault Clio Mk2 Electric Power Steering Column + Ecu Kit Car EPS Corsa B | eBay

Plus maybe one of these.

RENAULT CLIO 2 MK2 Electric power steering column controller unit box kit epas | eBay

So I can probably do the lot for £100?

Roger

ps Nick have you found out how I donate to the Forum?

31 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Not seen the Renault one before - looks ok.  Not sure how the box 'o tricks will take to transplanting but at that price it's got to be worth a punt......

Hello Nick

I think they are the same as Corsa ones?

How to make your own DIY electric power steering for your TR4-TR6 - General TR Technical - TR Register Forum (tr-register.co.uk)

It looks good to me and there are plenty about (its always worth using something that there is plenty of and cheap) as you know

Just like Spittys EFI (vw etc coil, ford sensors etc!)

Roger

ps Will I ever learn to Stop?

Ollie Bear can't post here, it seems, but he's willing for me to copy a message he sent me:

You need to start with a Vauxhall Corsa C steering columb it must be complete with all plugs and ecu and lower steering joint.then you have to mount it which I do by using the mount that comes with the unit to the top bulkhead then make a very strong bottom mount . next you make up your lower coupling using part Vauxhall and part Triumph. Now on the top you have to cut the tube below the steering lock inside you will find a inner shaft that slides on you now have to make all those top parts fit with the triumph top parts Normally the tube of the triumph columb will fit inside the Vauxhall tube the job takes some time and lots of cutting and welding so if you are not happy with your welding let someone else weld it.

244350989_993535791493665_25484807625109

244350798_394474348939705_17395226354390

The wireing is not too bad it needs about a 40 amp feed and earth and you have to buy a electronic box from e bay to run the ecu

Hello All

After much mulling over I have decided to buy the easysteer DIY kit!

I know I could but various bits off Fleabay and save some money but I would have no guarantee it would work! 

Plus I would have to fabricate various parts this way I will just have alter them a bit!

Here is a link to one fitted in a Triumph.

Power Steering on a Spitfire? Is it possible? - Chassis, Suspension & Steering - The Triumph Sports Six Club Forum (tssc.org.uk)

Roger

Hello All

My kit of parts arrived Friday and it looks good and clean and made in Japan(good) It maybe be Fiat?

The man forgot to put the adjuster control in but will post it to me(not exactley waiting!)

I have a spare steering to dash clamp so I bored it out to fit the tube through which keeps it at the same height(Not strong enough on its own)

Here is it in position but then I thought does it matter at which angle it is fitted? as I recon I could fit it upright so a bit less hanging underneath!

I think I will only fit one U/J and perhaps keep the Triumph clamp arrangement?

The steering wheel needs to be about 1/2" further out than the photo(just balanced on the input shaft)

I just need to do some careful measuring before cutting anything!

Roger

DSC02854.JPG

DSC02858.JPG

DSC02859.JPG

DSC02860.JPG

DSC02861.JPG

DSC02866.JPG

DSC02868.JPG

That’s more compact than most. Watching with interest. 

Probably will try going back to (the original) 6 tooth pinion first though as I swapped it for 7 tooth from Herald/Spit to speed the steering up. That was with a 15” wheel though and now I’ve got 14” (too heavy!!) maybe going to 13” (worse).  The GT6 has a 13” wheel and 6 tooth pinion and is nice.

Hey Roger that looks excellent.

I had seen the Mk2 Mania guys on t'Web when I was looking for something to replace the self-destructing, Rover SD1 derived rack on the Scimitar which is both eye wateringly expensive and tiresome difficult to replace (car is on it's third one in the 20 years I've had it).

That was a few years ago now and they had been around a while back then and seem to know their stuff which is reassuring.

I will be interested to see how you get on.

The speed sensing bit is the hard part from what I have read but you could maybe tap off a prop based sensor somehow - not my forte that sort of stuff.

On 10/3/2021 at 6:16 PM, Nick Jones said:

Mike’s point is that downstream of the pas device you will be putting more force on all components, lower column, rack, tie rods, ball joints etc, no longer limited by the strength of your arms and shoulders. Provided it’s no more than would be imposed by a strong man with the big factory wheel, it should be ok (though wear might be accelerated), but depending on how much power is available you might exceed that.

I remember my Dad going on about not turning the wheel when the car was stationary to save the tyre and balljoints, and that was before power steering.

He got even worse when we had cars with PAS :laugh:

1 hour ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

remember my Dad going on about not turning the wheel when the car was stationary to save the tyre and balljoints, and that was before power steering.

1 hour ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

He got even worse when we had cars with PAS :laugh:

I remember similar, though I don't remember my father ever owning anything with PAS until he got a Rover 400 in the mid 2000s. 

Mind you, it obviously is possible to make near-indestructible track rod ends as the ones on my A6 are original (only 326k and at least 12 seasons of 12 Car rallies) and that has PAS.....

1 hour ago, rogerguzzi said:

I thought I may go to a higher geared rack if it works ok.

Are you sure it isn't anyway?  I remember having this discussion with Alan but don't remember his view on it (probably that the steering was heavy enough already!)

14 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

I remember similar, though I don't remember my father ever owning anything with PAS until he got a Rover 400 in the mid 2000s.

His first one was a Princess 2200. Nice engine but not the fastest. Didn't last long following a huge rear end shunt. Dad had a thing about slightly off the wall cars and gave a home to another E series engined car in the shape of an Austin 2200 for a while. He had Volvos before they became popular, SAABs in 96 and 99 flavours because he liked the freewheel no clutch gearchange. Most upset when SAAB got rid of those.