Here's some I've not seen before

The connector that screws the hydraulic line into my clutch slave cylinder was a bit chewed up.  Access isn't easy, and I've used an open ended spanner on it too often.

IMG_20210915_165957.thumb.jpg.2c5ae3a8f38ff950e138ce7411a13e6b.jpg

So I thought to change the connector, but once the whole line was on the bench, I realised that wasn't the only problem.

IMG_20210915_170029.thumb.jpg.5854d29feb954596ce2ba01ddf72ceaf.jpg

The head that compressed the olive was CRACKED! Split longitudinally. 

I checked the other end, at the Master cylinder.  Cracked too!   Not seen that before.   Clearly I've been too heavy handed, too many times when reassembling the clutch system after an engine change.

Still, an opportunity to build up a new line, something else not to worry about.

John  

I have a couple of those split hex ring spanners.  Good kit. Either they undo or snap clean off.  Never round-off.  Usually it's bleed-nipples that snap.  Whoever though those daft 6mm / 1/4" nipple were a good idea needs a really firm slap.....

Never seen the nuts split like that before - drawback of brass I guess.  Steel ones will flare and flare until they get too fat to pass through the thread - which brings it's own frustrations!

Yes, sparky, the "right tool".    But access is so limited, especially as the engine is moved back a bit, that swing even for a short spanner is only one flat at a time,  and it needs to be angled and not properly engaged with the flats.   Hence the chewing!

A split socket might be better, if the drive could be taken off the rim rather than the bore, which will be occupied by the hydraulic line.   Hmmmmmmmmmm!    I feel another DiY tool coming on!    Split a socket, weld some tube on top to bring the ened into open air, with a tommy bar across that?     I'm vaxxing today - give me 24 hours (just 24 hours, Chief!) - and I'll get back you!

9 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Yes, sparky, the "right tool".    But access is so limited, especially as the engine is moved back a bit, that swing even for a short spanner is only one flat at a time,  and it needs to be angled and not properly engaged with the flats.   Hence the chewing!

A split socket might be better, if the drive could be taken off the rim rather than the bore, which will be occupied by the hydraulic line.   Hmmmmmmmmmm!    I feel another DiY tool coming on!    Split a socket, weld some tube on top to bring the ened into open air, with a tommy bar across that?     I'm vaxxing today - give me 24 hours (just 24 hours, Chief!) - and I'll get back you!

Tricky one John. 

But I like the cut of your jib.:thumbsup: