Audi mph to kph

Hamish

Sorry, don’t know….. did have bit of a poke on google but gets confusing.  Mostly Canadians wanting to convert when going to the US and vice versa.

I would say yes, and probably without vagcom/vcds. Possibly via the buttons on the trip computer stalk? Anything in the manual?

Hamish,

Does it look like this?

Audi A5 2007-2016 interior | Autocar

I say, stick masking tape around the  the rim of the speedo glass.     Mark it with a pen at the corresponding places for critical speeds in KPH, like this, showing them on a straight length:

mph to kph Conversion (Miles per Hour To Kilometers per Hour)

Those speeds are:

Motorways 120 km/h (74mph?)

Expressways 100 km/h (62)

Main roads and minor roads:

Outside built-up areas 80 km/h  (49)

In built-up areas 50 km/h  (31mph)

Simples!  If a bit fiddly.

John

Edited by JohnD

Thanks guys. I think my car is too old or not “tech” enough to have the option. 

ideally the digital speed in the central display between the clock showing  kph would be best as I do now with mph

as really I’d need reading glasses to see the dial clocks but then not the road. 
I suppose the other option is varifocal glasses !!!

:cool:

Hamish,

I found varifocals most useful for driving, indeed may ohter life applications, such as shopping, when you need to see the sign for the Cheese aile and them the small print on the food label.   But I know that many cannot get on with them - give them a try!

I suggested a paper scale around the rim.   Easier would be a disc of sticky paper or tape in the middle.     Thick lines of contrasting colour for each critical speed - there only appear to be four - would be visible, even if not fully resolved in your vision.

Of course you can get apps for your phone to correlate with its built in GPS, and announce    "30mph - Careful now! "    "50mph - You are on a main road, aren't you?"   "70mph - The motorway, keep alert!"     "120mph - This is St.Christopher, you're on your own mate!"

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

I found varifocals most useful for driving, indeed may ohter life applications, such as shopping, when you need to see the sign for the Cheese aile and them the small print on the food label.   But I know that many cannot get on with them - give them a try!

Seconded with the varifocals. I thoroughly detest them otherwise but they are great in the car, although they struggle to cope with reversing because of the eyeline.

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

Of course you can get apps for your phone to correlate with its built in GPS, and announce    "30mph - Careful now! "    "50mph - You are on a main road, aren't you?"   "70mph - The motorway, keep alert!"     "120mph - This is St.Christopher, you're on your own mate!"

:laugh:

Thanks guys I’ll check it all out. 

now that suzie has finished her monster running challenge ( see other post)

I thought about the phone apps

but not sure if it’s a data plan user as now roaming not included due to brexit.

as to the notations it’s what I used to work to as a biker often knocking on st Christopher’s door !!! 

Im sure I’m due an eye test again ( currently only reading function reduction) so May revisit glasses choice.

Reduction of close vision is my biggest frustration especially working on cars. You just can’t get it right upside down in confined spaces eg under a dash gggrrrrr.

35 minutes ago, Hamish said:

I thought about the phone apps

but not sure if it’s a data plan user as now roaming not included due to brexit.

I've used a GPS speedometer/accelerometer type app before in the race car to test stuff, there are plenty to choose from any most (all?) of them don't require data.  I use an old Android handset that I found in a drawer with no SIM card in it, so I'm pretty sure it's not using any internet :D

Another option is a super cheapo GPS HUD speedo, I bought one like this on ebay for peanuts (other online marketplaces are available), it takes a while to get a lock/start up (probably a minute or so) and there's a noticeable lag in calculating my speed but it's 'good enough'.

image.png.77aff69234eb47f49809503690e9e5c6.png

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

Reduction of close vision is my biggest frustration especially working on cars. You just can’t get it right upside down in confined spaces eg under a dash gggrrrrr.

You and me both Hamish.

I have varifocals, reading close up and computer. Took a couple of weeks to get used to them, sentences appeared to bow in the middle. Need to double check things I am making with a straight edge as can appear pi**ed. Going for two separate pairs of glasses next time.

Been under the dash of the of the Gt6, removing the Speedo, 3 times so far to recalibrate, can't get my head at the right angle so end up looking over the top of the frame. Very frustrating.