Engine

Hamish

2 hours ago, MilesA said:

Looking pretty serious Hamish. Now you've got those Webers, welcome to the 17 MPG Club!

Out of interest, which ones are they and what size choke are you using?

Your photos reminded me that I've been meaning to fit a second cable to mine but that has dropped off the 'to do' list. A simple Christmas task I hope.

Miles

I bet I can get the mpg lower than that !!

they are 45’s but I’ll get the spec once they been set up. 

The car is home following its heart transplant. delivered this lunch time with all the old bits. I will have to decide if I keep the old championship class winning engine ?

I have only taken it up a busy road and back but wow you can sure feel the difference.

I think that I can see a Rev limiter on my Xmas list. :o

I need some road time to get it properly run in. So looking like after Xmas.

then it’ll be ready for the new season and new class. 

It’s a high quality build but it’s not an all singing and all dancing steel billet crank race wonder-  it will easily settle into it new championship class. And clearly a well mannered road car. 
just as ordered.

I can’t praise TR Enterprises enough. From the very outset they were open and honest in discussing specifications to get 160+ bhp and similar torque figures. They also built it to an agreed price that included swapping engines new carbs and other ancillaries like flywheel clutch dizzy etc

i had made the decision to get a spare engine for them to work on ( that they also approved as suitable ) at their convenience during the season to allow me to carry on racing. It was very cheap thus a no brainier.

after the racing season finished they had the car to do the swap and we changed some defective parts (leaking rad) and added some upgrades (spin on oil filter adapter etc)

and as promised the car is back before xmas with miles on it by them and the head retightened so they know that crucial part of the running in has been done properly by the builder.

They sent me pictures during the engine build - see the video at the beginning. 
And during the engine swap. 

after a cold trailer ride a couple pumps on the throttle and it sprang to life. With a lovely sound ( that’ll be my exhaust then !!)

Tom and Simon are great (Apparently when Tom paints your engine it’s worth 10bhp) but they sure have some knowledgeable staff who are also happy to take time to explain things where owners want to know and with those who they know get there hands dirty on their own cars. 

thanks TRE and merry Christmas 

A45D655B-AE06-4726-9282-D7B0B9B49EFC.jpeg

8E3DE0B6-50D2-4B92-86CA-94EEC961A4C4.jpeg

Essential to find people that know what they are doing with Webers. In my experience many claim to but few in fact do. Once tuned however, they are very stable and don't require any ongoing fettling (although racing with them may be a different story!).

Miles

9 hours ago, MilesA said:

Essential to find people that know what they are doing with Webers. In my experience many claim to but few in fact do. Once tuned however, they are very stable and don't require any ongoing fettling (although racing with them may be a different story!).

This....

When I first built the Spitfire I got the car rolling road tuned to sort the twin Weber 40s. My initial settings weren't dreadful but in the end we got 126 hp at the flywheel of the 1300 on his RR.

All very good but what he didn't resolve was the pickup and mid-range driveability. Which was less than stellar. I fiddled around for a while and got that much better myself. But in the end it was a one of the old blokes that had a quick drive of the car and sussed out pretty much exactly what was needed.  What a difference.

This other old bloke then did the final finessing :thumbsup:

Edited by Escadrille Ecosse

• 3 weeks later...

Had a great 101mile run out this afternoon in the Cheshire countryside 

not many hills to get the torque working but plenty of gear changes and OD Action. 
to get varied speed and revs.

didn’t miss a beat. One slow village Center road saw the rad fan come on despite the chill. 

but it’s a revvy engine that will pull in 4th from 1500rpm but didn’t want to labour  it.

comes on song from 2.5 to 3k 

a good few hours spent learning the car.  But fuel is expensive isn’t it. 

added a new plate to the rocker cover too. 

4A3DEE91-5E4F-47E4-AAF1-70FA5CBF4150.jpeg

2FD6EB21-B98C-42DB-8C0D-FC43CB02E642.jpeg

B3F99DDB-8412-4CCF-B573-53DEDC2198D0.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
  • Like 1

Fuel prices should vary a lot across the US - each state charges a different tax, on top of the Fedral tax:

Fuel taxes in the united states

And it does.  As of October last year, "Premium" was $3.4 per US gallon in Oklahoma and $4.9 in California.  Despite the tax it was still $4.1 in Alaska!  See: https://gasprices.aaa.com/state-gas-price-averages/

The UK has just one rate nearly 58p/litre ($0.79, $2.79 per US gallon) and it costs about £1.55/litre (don't diss me - haven't bought any recently!)

• 4 weeks later...

Took a trip out this morning more Derbyshire hills for running in. 
just 35 miles this morning as it was cold windy and slippery.

this was just a private track  the main roads were slightly better. 
the car feels great and just love the new engine it revs up sooo fast tho with the 5kg flywheel  

F97802F5-3E7D-46AD-BAEC-A664F8D22426.jpeg

EEBDCD9F-EADD-4B28-96ED-B6A423508305.jpeg