Cynical laziness tax?

Nick Jones

Home insurance renewal through recently from one of the big names. They are now legally obliged to show the previous years premium in the renewal letter and, to be fair, it was fairly easy to spot and only about 3 font sizes smaller.

Few seconds with a calculator confirmed my initial impression of a serious hike ……. A whisker over 23%. :ohmy: hell, that’s ambitious…..

To be clear we have made no claim, or even enquired about making a claim. The level of cover has remained unchanged and we very certainly haven’t had a matching 23% pay rise…..

I invested 20 minutes of my time to enquire whether:

they had made an error (no),

whether they could explain such an amazing rise (not really, don’t think there have been any further tax rises in the last year)

whether they could manage a discount or better deal (a bit, down to a mere 14% increase)

Strangely enough, if I get an online quote from them using an alternative address in the same postcode (can’t use mine as the software detects that I’m an existing client) and the same insured values, I get nearly same as last year.

Bandits they are…..

Yeah…. SM has just had a car insurance renewal with NFU which has actually gone down from last year…… (though we have also had a little piss-taking from them in the past). They are definitely amongst the best if not the best.

Unfortunately, because the house has a subsidence claim against it (35 years ago!!!), most insurers won’t touch it, including NFU. Doesn’t show much confidence in the repairs the industry funded and (should have) overseen.

All at it to some extent or other it would seem. AA renewal came in with a 23% increase. Called them up and they gave me a 'special discount' for being a returning customer and took it back to where it was last year!

6 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Unfortunately, because the house has a subsidence claim against it (35 years ago!!!), most insurers won’t touch it, including NFU. Doesn’t show much confidence in the repairs the industry funded and (should have) overseen.

Quite!

Odd how they work out insurance renewals. Just renewed the insurance on the Ford Ranger, which I never expect to be particularly cheap.

Sure enough, all the price comparison sites show modest increase over last year's price. £330 last year, looking at £360ish this year. I consider that acceptable given it has a 3.2l engine, multiple drivers named and is a rather desirable vehicle these days. So much so it has rather bizarrely increased in value since last year by over 3 grand.

Then my partner asked if I wanted the renewal quote. She had it as she put last year's policy in place as I was stuck on a boat. So I said yes please. This is with Churchill, renewal £260 thank you very much!!

How the heck does that work????? Needless to say, I double checked all details and hurriedly renewed before they could change their mind lol. 

Phil

Well, motor insurance must have seen a reduction in claims in the last couple of years. Miles driven has got to be way down…. You hope that might translate to lower premiums, though they were still cheerfully putting them up by well above inflation rates last time I had to renew.