"Sporting Triumphs" at the Malvern Weekend

JohnD

All,

I have been tasked with organising a display of "Sporting Triumphs" at the Malvern Weekend!   I think that means cars with a competition history, of any sort.   I very much hope to include ALL Triumphs, and have some TRs in hand, but no 'small chassis'  cars.       I'll be most grateful for volunteers who have such cars and will bring them, or for contact details to others who own them.      A PM to me here will let you pass on an email address securely, if you have consent, or I will give you mine so that your contact can talk to me.

I will be on a visit to Malvern by the Combined Clubs next week to find out about the facilities but I am already assured that the display will be under cover.

Please contact me if you can help.

JOhn

I have just been informed by Nigel Hill that the TSSC will have their own "Sporting Triumphs" display, and have been told that I have offended them by trying to recruit small chassis cars.   Nigel was extremely annoyed with me, and would not accept that I understood that the task I had been given was 'All Triumph'.

I am most disappointed that the two Clubs are still so disjointed in their organsiation that I have been asked to arrange a display, by the TRR with no mention that this was to be TRs only!

Nigel didn't even tell me who is doing the TSSC display - surely that would have been courteous?    But Good Luck to the TSSC!   

John

looks like johns comment "elsewhere" has been deleted. I had replied.

I believe the idea of the TSSC/TRR show is that each club keeps its own identity, does its own thing etc but at he same venue. And share facilities (The TRR bar was rather good at Stratford). However, to not make that clear to people organising stands etc is daft. And the irony that john has a small chassis car...

Add to that the TSSC is no longer just a small chassis club after the attempt 20 odd years ago to become the dominant club by covering all models (even though CT had already been doing that for many years!) So will they be displaying a full range of sporting cars? They may get the jigsaw le mans replica out? If they want genuine works cars better off speaking to Mr P.

Anyway, as I am a mug, I have been tasked with getting some cars together for a CT stand at the show. I am hoping that won't be so contentious. (and I have said I don't want to actively tout for new members at the show, that would be bad form) But the politics part does make it all a ballache.

How ridiculous John.

I hoped that the combined Triumph and MG event would be a catalyst for pulling the clubs and marques closer together. There really is no place for petty club politics.

At Lincoln a few years ago the TRR put on a 'Survivors' display that had all sorts of Triumphs involved, including our Stag. Surely someone can coordinate across all the clubs for any given display so we don't have three/four small separate things going on.

To further confuse things, as TRR and SOC members, we'll be there in the Midget as it is 60 years old this year. We're not MGCC members (Diana is a member of MGOC and I'm a member of the Midget and Sprite club) so I hope we don't fall foul of any politics over the weekend.

P1010746c.jpg

Having done MGCC trackdays, I can assure everybody that the attendees are again very friendly. That may not translate to the entire membership. But in general MG owners give us a wave thesedays. 30 years ago it seemed we were bitter enemies (until a beer was consumed, then it became gentle ribbing)

The TRR has a significant old guard. I remember reading about  the horror some felt when they heard they would be doing a show with the SOC. They didn't get it at all. But I hope we can gradually pull all the Triumph clubs together for a single big show. It makes sense, but therein lies the issue. 

I was delighted, if daunted, to be asked, especially as I knew nothing to dim my enthusiam for Club Cooperation and was resolved to include as many Triumphs of all marks as I could.       My post was deleted, I am told, to avoid contention, and I was very much mistaken, not appreciating the type loyaties that still rule, so, mea culpa.

If you are organising a CT display, Zetec, will you be at Malvern this Thursday for the Site Visit?      And please see your messages as I will send my email so we can liaise.

JOhn

How stupid and rude. I thought the Triumph clubs had got over this pettiness by now... Our local TSSC meet is a joint one with CT and we have organised drives over Europe and around the UK that have involved everyone.

I would have thought one big display of all sporting Triumph would have been very impressive. So where are you going to put your Vitesse ;)

mike

Hamish!

Yes, a bucket, the usual used coffee cup for donations would be insufficient, especially if they were in coppers!  Anyway, the block and crank have gone to the Great Smelter in the Sky.

I had originally thought to take my engine rig and demonstrate damper testing, as at Stratford, but if I'm an organiser I might not have the time.

Mike, obviously I included the Vitesse in the list of cars I have for display.  It is the only racing Vitesse left in the UK, after all.     BUt now I know that there will be a separate 'small chassis' display by the TSSC, I must await the call!   Which has not happened.  Yet.    And as it has no engine at all in it at present, I can't even include it in the TRR display as having a 'TR' engine!

John

57 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Hamish!

Yes, a bucket, the usual used coffee cup for donations would be insufficient, especially if they were in coppers!  Anyway, the block and crank have gone to the Great Smelter in the Sky.

I had originally thought to take my engine rig and demonstrate damper testing, as at Stratford, but if I'm an organiser I might not have the time.

Mike, obviously I included the Vitesse in the list of cars I have for display.  It is the only racing Vitesse left in the UK, after all.     BUt now I know that there will be a separate 'small chassis' display by the TSSC, I must await the call!   Which has not happened.  Yet.    And as it has no engine at all in it at present, I can't even include it in the TRR display as having a 'TR' engine!

John

But the TSSC has not done any sporting events for donkeys years. Who will they get? In reality they ought to play to their audience, and display some nice shiny show cars. 

Well, there are some racing Spitfires, and I am told , GT6s out there.    Quasimodo from the TSSC museum would be nice, and of course ADU1B, but Mark isn't in a good place right now.   Binman sold his SuperSix and I saw it at the Crystal Palace Sprints a few years ago, but the driver never got back to me with his email.   There's a few!

Just reading this John. Well done for picking up this particular poison chalice. And disappointing (if not altogether surprising) attitude from Nigel. Unfortunately those that rise to the top in amateur clubs are often the less socially adept shall we say.

But the fortunate counterpoint is that most actual members are right friendly folks.

I would actually love to come along and support you, details like lacking a suitable complete car at the moment, the distance and the minor detail of Scotland's First Miniature having banned us Weegies from leaving the gaff on account of us being plague carriers a major impediment right now. :sad:

29 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Scotland's First Miniature having banned us Weegies from leaving the gaff on account of us being plague carriers a major impediment right now. :sad:

More a case of being concerned what you might catch from the filthy southerners I suspect.... and not entirely unjustified I fear.

First Miniature....?:biggrin::no:  I like that......

Carefully now! Don't want to disturb the natives - of anywhere.

John T's Silver Arrow is a Spitfire, and Jon W still has his GT6, but races the TVR, mostly.

But I'm not going there!   I've been warned off!

I will, of course, be delighted to see Sidewaysers at Malvern!

John

Edited by JohnD

I am sad to read that John has encountered stuffiness.

I am always amazed to hear of such things. As some might know, I am the main organiser of Club Triumph's RBRR event and I pull upon help from three or four of the other Triumph clubs, namely TR Reg, TSSC and 2000/2500 Reg and it must be said that I don't encounter any problems, in fact the enthusiasm from them is very good. Nigel Hill and Chris Gunby volunteered last time to run the John o'Groats control and for the forthcoming event, will run the new control at Falls of Shin near Lairg in Scotland. No mean feat considering they live in the Midlands.

John, Good luck with your organising work.

Really sad to read this thread, John was mis informed by someone in the organising team about the display,

The three clubs had already put an organiser in place from each club to liaise with each other, John was wrongly told he had the job for all the Triumphs.

The clubs want to put a great display on for everyone to enjoy.

All the Triumph clubs are working better and closer than ever before and hopefully this will improve over time, most of the old guard are now retired with the next generation very much looking to work together

Nigel was merely pointing this out to John 

I had the thread removed from the Tssc website to stop exactly what has happened on here !

Thanks Chris.  As ever, communication is key.... 

I’m slightly handicapped by not having seen the thread in “the other place” but perhaps an explanation along the lines of the one just made here would have worked better than a simple deletion there - after politely explaining the situation to John first of course. Deletion always risks looking like cover-up /censorship IMO and tends to stir people up in itself.

I remain slightly confused though. Does this mean that John is stood down, or only restricted to hunting down Triumph racers with no current club affiliation and persuading them to attend a club event? Seems that his apparent remit to find sporting/racing Triumphs using his competition contacts might always have different from the specific club organisers so no need to get all tribal about it?

However, I am encouraged that the three big Triumph clubs are working together to bring more inclusivity to what has traditionally been largely  TRs only.

I and a few other Sideways folks did attend The Malvern show somewhere in the mid 2000s after some encouragement from Alec Pringle. It was a great day out, but there were less than 10 small chassis cars there iirc.

Hi Nick 

The thread that was removed is the same as the one above, i have had communication with John as soon as the thread was taken down to avoid confusion 

John was asked by the TR reg and is still doing the display for them , i am sure the Tssc volunteer will make contact with John when they see fit.

We are all in this together any one that helps at any event will understand it is a lot of hard work, all the Triumph clubs working together has to be the way forward.

The Malvern event is historically Tr register’s international but not any more after the success of working together at Stratford two years ago both clubs felt it would be good to go back to Malvern this year and Stafford in 2022 giving both club’s members a chance to revisit a great event over a weekend, this year with the added bonus of the MG car club attending a first for everyone.

31 minutes ago, Triumph948 said:

Hi Nick 

The thread that was removed is the same as the one above, i have had communication with John as soon as the thread was taken down to avoid confusion 

John was asked by the TR reg and is still doing the display for them , i am sure the Tssc volunteer will make contact with John when they see fit.

We are all in this together any one that helps at any event will understand it is a lot of hard work, all the Triumph clubs working together has to be the way forward.

The Malvern event is historically Tr register’s international but not any more after the success of working together at Stratford two years ago both clubs felt it would be good to go back to Malvern this year and Stafford in 2022 giving both club’s members a chance to revisit a great event over a weekend, this year with the added bonus of the MG car club attending a first for everyone.

"As soon as the thread was taken down"?    Only when I asked what had happened to it.

I hope "the TSSC volunteer". Will contact me soon - we need to talk, as they weren't at the Site Visit, and need to be up to speed.

The MG Show at Silverstone was cancelled in lockdown, hence their wish to share Malvern.  They usually get  3000 MG cars, plus occupants plus moderns.    This will stress the management of the event maximally. 

I have no idea how many 'sporting'  MGs there will be.  I don't know how many  'sporting' TSSC cars there will be, or from CT, or from any of the other invited Triumph Clubs, but that doesn't matter to me, as I have no responsibility for deciding how many there will be of each, to fit into a hall that can take maybe 50 cars.    Seems my only task is to compile a list of available TRs, send it to the Combined Clubs Committee and wait for them to decide who gets invited.  Better get my list in soon!

John

Edited by JohnD

3000 MG's? Crikey....

I think as a non-contributing Club, CT will be given a patch of grass to put maybe a dozen cars? Possibly the same for the other invited Clubs. 

But it seems you are taking the bull by the horns here. 

But having a quick think, the coffers should allow for a damn good event in terms of facilities and so on. I just hope it doesn't sell out, I am loathe to buy tickets up front, but have an inkling it may be a good idea this time. All those people missing their hols abroad may well decide the weekend would be a "nice break". But will they go and buy a tent? I reckon the local accommodation will be fully booked already. Even without the show. This needs careful planning.