Hello All

Is there any reason I can not fit a Mk2 dashboard into a Mk1? (Other than upsetting the Konkers Brigade!)

I have a Mk2 dashboard that has had 3 extra holes cut in it so I could have Fuel, Water, Oil pressure, Volt meter and a Clock!

The only trouble is I do not think I have the metal recessed bit!

They both need re veneering  and I thought what about some nice home grown English Oak?

Do you think I will be able to do it soon?

Roger

DSC02328.JPG

DSC02320.JPG

do you mean the plastic bit (above your 3 new gauges) that the switch's and heater control go thru?

If so I  think I have that I could put in the post to you.

Nice oak tree! 50 years and it will be ready to cut down :) 

mike

18 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Is there any reason I can not fit a Mk2 dashboard into a Mk1?

Other than it being a huge faf and needing the matching switch gear and wiring mods.....  for minimal gain.....

My opinion - as someone whose Vitesse dashboard (Mk1) is a total disgrace 

Roger

I have these bits if you are interested. It is a pain swapping out the dash and you will probably have to modify some of the wiring.
You can the Vit II knobs if you want them, but they have been cut  off the cables but might be able to adapt them to the Vit I cables.
There is a bracket that goes from the bulkhead to the back of the choke cables. I think you might have to change the  dashboard surround as well...

image.thumb.png.3f30749b30e12270bc93c732b7a2dc87.pngimage.thumb.png.1f77da6e530641fbc6204f2b28328e94.png

and this was mine last year..

Hello Mike

Yes that is what I am missing and will have all the bits please.

I will PM you my address and how much do you want or shall I make a donation to a charity of your choice?

My biggest problem I have at the moment is I can not find the Speedo and Tachometer I have put them somewhere safe!!!

I have found all sorts of other things I had forgotten about!

I intend to fit relays and fuses to the bulkhead like you have and the Megajolt and Edis unit.

Still I made up the plug leads by cutting the distributor cap ends off some good lead and crimping M4 type  terminals on 

Roger

DSC02324.JPG

Hello All

I have decided to fit the Mk2 Dashboard as it has been modified for the extra gauges.

So I was looking at the back and for the life of me I can not see why Triumph reduced the thickness in certain areas!

So because the centre section has 3 new holes in it I thought it may be a bit weak here! so I have shaped and glued in some plywood to strengthen it up and filled the big hole were the wiper/pump switch fitted(do not have) so now I will fit a single switch and a second one for the electric pump.

I have glued some plywood to the cardboard dashboard were the speedo and tachometer make it thin. 

Roger

DSC02347.JPG

DSC02348.JPG

Hello All

This is how I have sorted out the washer pump switch.

I had a spare wiper switch so I made a cup for it to sit in and had to convert it to a 2BA thread to suit the knob I have but now I can have wiper at the top and push button washer switch below it.

The knobs are not an exact match but close enough for me!

I have been told of a Triumph TR4 for sale that has been rebuilt at an affordable price(its only money!)

The Memsahib thinks I am mad and she has a point sort of.

Now are you all going to talk me into it or out of it?

Roger

DSC02367.JPG

DSC02368.JPG

31 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

I have been told of a Triumph TR4 for sale that has been rebuilt at an affordable price(its only money!)

The Memsahib thinks I am mad and she has a point sort of.

You already have a well sorted Spitfire and a well sorted Vitesse.......  Dunno what a TR4 will add........?

41 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

The Memsahib thinks I am mad and she has a point sort of

She must have been talking to my SM. I’m get similar responses!

TR4 very nice....
I have had mk2 Vitesse, GT6 2.5L, Herald 13/60, Another 13/60 (still got it), Dolly 1500, Stag, Gt6 mk3 (again 2.5), TR6.
All gone but the last 13/60 Herald has remained (now with 1500 EFI etc). Not sure why I like it but I do, just haven't bonded with all the others.
But do love the Triumph 6 engines and the torque. I always wanted a TR6 but if I am honest I was a bit disappointed by it, much smaller inside than I expected and ok if you really drove it hard. Otherwise quite hard work,

I  would still like a Dolly Sprint, but it would have to have a sunroof as  I am keen on convertibles...

Others. Mk 1 Cortina GT, crashed by a girl friend into a field who I was teaching to drive, great car shame it was nicked outside Kings Hospital in london, various BL stuff, minors, 1300, Allegros (not as bad as reported), metros, Mk2 3.8 Jag wonderful, MGB ok, Rover 2.7L Sterling stunning Honda engine, Rover 75 Estate diesel, very under rated probably the most comfortable car I have had, XK8 Jag 4.2L V8 great car but horrendous running costs (£1500 to replace the fuel pump). MX5 perfect spitfire replacement but they do rust very badly.

I think the cars reflect you family state, house buying and kids and the cars get sensible and practical..

Current modern is a Golf GTE Hybrid very very quick but you can drive to to keep the cyclists happy.

Probably should start a new thread, "cars owned".

Mike

22 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

TR4 IRS i'd be tempted, TR5 i'd bite your arm off, but as Nick says what does a TR4 bring to your stables?

Best spend the money on hotels and petrol.

RR

Vitesse was showing the the standard TR3s and 4s (and 4as) a clean pair of heels at Castle Coombe. Perhaps not a fair fight given it got a tweak or two, but still.....

Was having more trouble with the race tuned ones though.

46 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Perhaps not a fair fight given it got a tweak or two,

Hello Nick 

A tweak or two!!!!!!! 

EFI and the dogs dangle's

I still fancy one and I am old and it is only money! (the kids will be able to pay off there mortgages still!)

Its just boys and toys or we would not bother with them at all as they are rubbish compared to modern!(which we all wanted then but could not afford!)

Roger 

Hello All

What passes for common sense has prevailed!

A friend went to look at the TR4 and gave me a good run down on its good and bad points.

I think it is not quite good enough as I would finish up wanting to improve the bad points and we all know were that would lead!

So I have told him its not what I want and I bet it would not give me 45+mpg on average driving(may be better on steady cruise?)

I keep tweaking the map as judged by the AFR meter readings(just one or two points at a time here and there)

So today after a bit of weeding in the veg patch I was sanding the Vitesse dashboard down ready for the veneer and painted the back with varnish to stop any damp getting in.

Roger

ps I still have not found the Speedo and Tachometer!!!!!